Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night we brought in some firewood and before we knew it Ollie went over and started "checking" it out with his paws. Not sure if he got a spinter or cut himself. One of his nails on his right paw is red where it enters his pad. Just praying they can find out what it is without putting him under. He doesn't want me to even touch his paw.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
Hopefully he's feeling better soon, that's tough just trying to get a closer look. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ollie is either allergic to something outside or pulled his nail digging outside and stuck something in his foot or digging in the covers. Guess that narrows it down. For right now he is on benadryl twice a day and Rimadryl. He goes back Saturday for shots and recheck his foot. Also am going to get his foot shaved down a bit on the advice of the vet so his toes can get more air. The vets also seem to be going back and forth on whether he has a heart murmur or not.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Ollie is either allergic to something outside or pulled his nail digging outside and stuck something in his foot or digging in the covers. Guess that narrows it down. For right now he is on benadryl twice a day and Rimadryl. He goes back Saturday for shots and recheck his foot. Also am going to get his foot shaved down a bit on the advice of the vet so his toes can get more air. The vets also seem to be going back and forth on whether he has a heart murmur or not.
Oh no. Didn't see this before. Ouch! I would think he might have gotten something stuck if suddenly his toe was an issue. Hope it gets better. How is he doing with the Benedryl? Thought the murmur would be kind of easy to figure out but maybe it's a sonogram or echocardiogram that tells that for sure. Hope Ollie will do better. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts

Sometimes when listening to the chest, if there is something going on with the heart, you can hear a murmur and then later not be able to detect it. I picked up a heart "noise" that the vet did not hear. Later down the road, I was right, but sometimes its there and then its not there. LOL If it is a minor murmur it doesn't usually interfere with daily living. Glad Ollie's foot is getting better.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Oh no. Didn't see this before. Ouch! I would think he might have gotten something stuck if suddenly his toe was an issue. Hope it gets better. How is he doing with the Benedryl? Thought the murmur would be kind of easy to figure out but maybe it's a sonogram or echocardiogram that tells that for sure. Hope Ollie will do better. Keep us posted.
Vets can hear different things when they listen to the heart. I've had at least 3 or 4 vets listen to Micky's heart, some can hear his murmur and some can't. Or they can only hear it sometimes and not other times. It's weird. We did have an ultrasound done to confirm it though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts