Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's just a little tidbit I thought interesting. My future daughter-in-law started vet school at Mississippi State University yesterday. I think there are eighty students in this class, and 2/3 are female and only 1/3 male. This was a surprise to me, but a pleasant one. Now, if I can just get her interested in small animals.

Lady M, what is the male/female ratio at LSU?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Wow! I am very surprised to hear that. MK's dental school class in Mississippi is 34% female and 64% male. (12 out of 35)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
My vet mentioned this to me last time I was talking to her about vet schools...my daughter wants to be one. She said that most of the graduates of general programs in veterinary medicine now are women.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
All the vets at chelsey and chester clinic are all wowen they have two offices and i have never seen a male there. I never really thought about it until now.

there are like 5 vets in each office + the reception person

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I am not surprised to hear. Med school population has also been changing and I believe its now more of a 50/50%. Even the more traditional schools like Vanderbilt are now that way. Of course some fields in medicine are still more male dominated (like surgery) but that seems to be chnaging rapidly too. However, the general public doesn't seem to be aware of the trend and I still get asked if I am a nurse (which annoys me to no end).

My father in law seems to think that the fields in medicine that used to be male dominant but are now mostly women (such as ob-gyn) have lower incomes as a result of that change. I think that is a sexist view, however, he has been in medicine for much longer than me so I really can't argue.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Originally posted by okw@Aug 16 2005, 02:24 PM
However, the general public doesn't seem to be aware of the trend and I still get asked if I am a nurse (which annoys me to no end).
You would not believe (well, Olga would believe it) how many people have asked my daughter (and us) why she is going to dental school instead of dental hygiene school. Nothing in the world is wrong with dental hygiene, but my daughter finds it insulting that the suggestion seems to be that she should not go into dentistry if she is not a male. We probably have about 80 general dentists in our geographic area and only about 8 of them are women. I find that statistic to be appalling. What is wrong with people?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Aug 16 2005, 04:51 PM
You would not believe (well, Olga would believe it) how many people have asked my daughter (and us) why she is going to dental school instead of dental hygiene school.  Nothing in the world is wrong with dental hygiene, but my daughter finds it insulting that the suggestion seems to be that she should not go into dentistry if she is not a male.  We probably have about 80 general dentists in our geographic area and only about 8 of them are women.  I find that statistic to be appalling.  What is wrong with people?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91163
[/QUOTE]

My dentist is a woman... she is in my women's professional group, which is how I found her. In fact we have several women dentists and orthodontists in the group. I'm surprised you have so few female dentists in your area....

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well here is a pic of my class...i counted 19 guys so thats about 1/4 men (i think we had 75 ppl at that time) we have gained a few when we entered clinics (some from Ross and some from St. Georges university)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia+Aug 16 2005, 01:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-okw
@Aug 16 2005, 02:24 PM
However, the general public doesn't seem to be aware of the trend and I still get asked if I am a nurse (which annoys me to no end).
You would not believe (well, Olga would believe it) how many people have asked my daughter (and us) why she is going to dental school instead of dental hygiene school. Nothing in the world is wrong with dental hygiene, but my daughter finds it insulting that the suggestion seems to be that she should not go into dentistry if she is not a male. We probably have about 80 general dentists in our geographic area and only about 8 of them are women. I find that statistic to be appalling. What is wrong with people?
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think also some of that has to do with being in South. It seems to me that Vanderbilt is much more conservative and traditional that med schools on east coast or west coast. I find the same to be true of people. I think in LA or NY (for example), there are much more female dentists, doctors, vets, etc. And less people probably assume that females should go into more "women friendly" fields. However, having said all that...I do wish that I had considered what my career choice will mean to my family life. But its too late!!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by okw+Aug 16 2005, 04:33 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2005, 01:51 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-okw
@Aug 16 2005, 02:24 PM

I think also some of that has to do with being in South. It seems to me that Vanderbilt is much more conservative and traditional that med schools on east coast or west coast. I find the same to be true of people. I think in LA or NY (for example), there are much more female dentists, doctors, vets, etc. And less people probably assume that females should go into more "women friendly" fields. However, having said all that...I do wish that I had considered what my career choice will mean to my family life. But its too late!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91188
[/B][/QUOTE]

I've had Dr. in front of my name for over 30 years (yes, I'm old), and I have more people who don't consider it possible than do. When I say I do consulting in nursing homes, they ask if I'm a nurse. Years ago, clerks would see Dr. on my checks and ask what kind. Then, they would try to write psychologist down for place of work and couldn't spell it. But, the ones that really got me was when they would ask what my husband did. I finally just started telling them he was a hit man for the mafia.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I remembered this thread at work today. I went in to see a patient with an attending and the patient, of course, said something about me being a pretty nurse. The attending doctor corrected him and said that I was a med student and the guy proceeded to say "they are all the same to me". The attending doctor apologized to me afterwards for his rudeness (and seemed schocked) but I wasn't even surprised. This guy seemed like a creep!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts