Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I apparently carried Marshy's skin disease over to Little C. And both of my dogs got ear mites, probably from Magnet, the former street dog. I had them both tested for heartword (negative). The vet wanted to use Revolution on them.

I was opposed because I didn't see any reason to put medicine on them that treats all kinds of problems that they don't have. However, while discussing it with the vet, his older brother happened to call. His older brother is a vet in Canada. He also kept telling me that it is perfectly safe and "what most vets use". I didn't believe it then, but I knew that the ear mite problem needed to be cleared up and that was the only thing that the vet wanted to use to clear up that problem.

I ended up giving in. Please keep in mind that going to another vet involves a train ride and then a taxi ride.

Both dogs seem find NOW. They were both rubbing their backs along everything they could. I think that they felt itchy because the Revolution made their hair stiff. So, I washed them both.

Now, my questions are:

1. Should I now give them one of those heartguard chewables or are they still covered for heartworms despite the bath?

2. Should I take that train and taxi ride this weekend to get some other kind of medicine for the ear mites or is that problem likely to have been cleared up in the two hours that they had revolution on them?

3. Considering that it was only on them for around two hours, how long will any effects, if any, last? If I shouldn't give a heartworm chewable now, when should I?

Thanks in advance for any help!~

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I thought Revolution was a pill/tablet medicine?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dunno....but this revolution was in liquid form and put in several places along their spines. I think three places.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Jun 2 2005, 09:07 AM
I thought Revolution was a pill/tablet medicine?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67967
[/QUOTE]

Nevermind, I just looked it up...
I didn't know there was topical that covered both fleas and heartworms...interesting. It says it is still effective even after bathing your dog 2 hours after applying.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahahahahaha....I don't know why I didn't think of looking for that website on my own. I just panicked and came straight to these forums.

Thanks Thlunn!~~~ :D :D

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by NC's Mom@Jun 2 2005, 09:20 AM
Hahahahahaha....I don't know why I didn't think of looking for that website on my own.  I just panicked and came straight to these forums.

Thanks Thlunn!~~~  :D :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67981
[/QUOTE]

No problem! I actually like the sounds of it. It combines the heartworm and flea stuff as well as some others. But it doesn't include prevention of the hookworm/roundworm/whipworm like my Interceptor does. I am also curious about what it does to the fleas. Like "program" that is combined in the one pill, I think it is Sentinal...
just sterilizes the fleas, doesn't kill them. I wonder if this works the same way? I may have to read the website further...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww! I hope your babies get well SOON!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
They still should be treated for ear mites. You can go with a topical ear treatment like Tresaderm. Talk to your vet about it. You should discuss with your vet about giving Heartgard this month or not. The Heartgard or Interceptor you could accidentally give them 2 of with no harm done, but I don't know about drug interactions with the selemectin or anything else they received.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
This is what I have used on Abbey since I got her at 12 wks. It never leaves anything on her hair. You can't even tell she had anything put on, unlike the frontline plus. I don't know why N&C would have stiff hair?! I want to switch to frontline plus because it covers more in the tick area and we have alot of ticks in our area already this year.
The frontline plus does leave a greasy sticky spot on my cat. But my vet feels revolution is better for Abbey's size (2.12 lbs.) I've taken 3 ticks off of Abbey's hair already this summer ~ I'm so glad she's white so I could spot them right away!

Anyways, my vet said not to bath Abbey 2 days before and 2 days after putting on the revolution, unlike what the website says. So, I would not chance it and probably give them another treatment of heartworm medicine as long as it wouldn't hurt them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My furkids have been on Revolution for nearly a year now. Yes, it does dry and make thier hair stiff and crunchy, I just brush out the area after the Revolution has been on a minimum of 2 hours.

I've been really lucky as far as fleas and ticks go. In 16 years we haven't had ANY flea problems and have only found a total of 4 ticks on any of the 5 dogs we've had during that time.

If I remember correctly the Revolution both kills the eggs and active fleas rather than just sterilizing them. I'm just getting this off the top of my head, so I could be wrong!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Revolution is what I use on my Maltese. The big rescues get Ivomectin and Frontline Plus. I've used Revoution for several years, and I find it does a good job for all but ticks. I have had to apply some Frontline spray to mine already this year.
Now, if you want an easy way to do the earmites, just put a drop or two of the Frontline spray in each ear once a week for three weeks. I've been told you can use other brands of the spray also, but I keep Frontline here.
As for the other worms, I do a Drontal Plus every six months. Pups and nursing moms are wormed with Panacur for three days, starting at three weeks. This is done every two weeks until they are twelve weeks old.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts