Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my little guy would be 6 months in 2 weeks so I just called vet and secretary tells me "in a whisper like she shy or something" that the doesn't neuter dogs under ten pounds. :angry:

Now I ask her what if my dog never hits 10 pounds :blink: " as he is a little dog "duh"

she puts me on hold and come back with an answer of

"the dr doesn't neuter any dog under ten pounds and you can take him somewhere else"

I answered you just told me to go somewhere else? "because of her whispering" i wanted to reach threw phone and strangle her lol

OK please some advise! has anyone ever heard of this before. I been using this vet for 3 months now and he has been great. he knows my dog and said to make an appointment a few weeks back and never mentioned anything about his weight. I am waiting for his phone call to speak to him directly on this.....Just sounds dumb to me as there are thousands of dogs out there under 10 pounds...

thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
That's ridiculous. I have never heard of that. Do you think maybe she's lying? That's why she was whispering and didn't want anyone to hear? I don't know...I'm just saying. But, that's very odd because there are dogs under 10 pounds.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Wow

Wow I worked at a vet hospital for over 4 years. Many dogs under 10# in this world!... The only experience I had was sometimes my dogs that I had neutered or spayed that were extra small a particular vet asked to not do the surgery because he was getting older (70's) and didn't feel comfortable with the extra small ones.. 3#. :unsure: Jeanne

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Maybe he doesn't have confidence in his anesthesia or surgical skills for such tiny patients. I'd consider it a blessing and find a capable vet. Just my opinion..

·
Registered
847 Posts
I would talk directly to the vet and make sure that's true. If it is, I definitely wouldn't push. Go somewhere where they regularly neuter small dogs, so you know they're experienced in it. Don't want to take any chances on your baby..

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
I would run...(not walk) away from that vet and never look back.

I'm sure there are other vets around, even if you have to drive a few more miles.

Oh, and maybe you would want to speak with the vet directly just to tell him/her that you've been told to go elsewhere by their own employee.

Either the vet is uncomfortable operating on small dogs...or the employee thinks the doctor is not very good at his job. That's enough for me to end that relationship.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the quick responses and input...
as it turns out the secretary called back in less then 15 minutes and said the DR. said it was ok to make an appointment.

wow that is pretty scary...like I said he knows my dog I been using him for three months. Maybe he thought it was a new customer or something i don't know....I new it was a strange answer to give me about the ten pound or above weight requirement..also the sec. telling me to go somewhere else...

anyway it definitely got me thinking why i even got answers like that and will ask him next time i see him....I got this vet through my sister and he seems pretty good "but this experience will get me thinking a bit more" Ill talk to my wife and we will make a decision on if we will use him for the surgery "my sister used him for her pup to get neutered with no problems....

Is this a basic surgery or should i worry about this vet?

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Honestly? If it were me, I wouldn't feel very comfortable. I would research for a different vet that specializes in small breeds and start a new relationship with a new vet. I would kindly ask for all the records from this vet, for your pup to take with me to the new vet. If you don't mind sharing, where you are approximately from, perhaps there are members here close by to you and can reccommend a vet. Again, sorry you are going through this.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Even though the vet called back and said it was "now" okay to make an appointment, I would absolutely NOT take my Maltese back there ever again. I've never heard of any vet not willing to spay/neuter a pet under 10 pounds. It makes me uneasy that this vet isn't quite sure what they're doing...

I was told by my vet that they felt comfortable altering any pet over 2 1/2lbs. The weight was important to me at the time because Preston had to have rear dewclaws removed that were not growing properly, and I asked to have him neutered at the same time (under anesthesia once vs twice). He was around 4 months old and about 3lbs if I remember correctly.

What about kittens? Kittens are surely under 10 pounds for quite a long time...they just don't alter them? lol It's just rediculous. Definitely find a new vet.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I too would try and find a vet that really knows small dogs. Your vet doesn't sound like the kind of place I'd want my baby.

HUGz and good luck! Jules

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
I would not see a vet that is not comfortable with doing surgery on my Maltese. Toys, especially, Maltese must be carefully watched when under anesthesia, a little bit too much and they are gone. A spay is major surgery. You have to trust that veterinarian will be competent in surgery. I have an occasional emergency c-section and I don't want to worry about my vet being uncomfortable doing the surgery and I don't want to feel uncomfortable with them.
Find a vet that is comfortable with small dogs. There isn't any hurry.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow ! so it wasn't just me over reacting to how they handled this situation....thanks for all your opinions....

Staten Island, new york

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
You know something, Pat, you may have hit the nail on the head. The vet may not be good with smaller dogs and she is trying to help her! .....or either she is trying to make him go out of business!!! I think I would run and not look back!! Does not sound good either way~~~:blush:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Either the vet is uncomfortable operating on small dogs...or the employee thinks the doctor is not very good at his job. That's enough for me to end that relationship.:thumbsup:
I agree - maybe she's whispering because she knows he doesn't do a good job with smaller dogs? Either way, I'd take it as a big sign and go somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts