Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a postcard in the mail saying a new vet office is open about 5 mins from my house... The vet that opened it is from another hospital around the area... I was wondering if there are any web sites that you can look up a doctor to see where they graduated from and general information about them... I know one time I went to an association web site of some kind and looked up a surgen.... Isnt there a small animal medicine association or site?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
http://www.healthypet.com/

You can use the "find a hospital" feature to locate a vet in your area, then go to their website. Most (like my vet) have little resumes online with educational background, experience, etc.

Since Kodie has special medical needs like my Lady, you might want to interview this vet yourself to see how knowledgable he is about liver disease. The diabetic forum usually recommends this to newly diagnosed members as often the trusted family vet just isn't experienced enough to treat their dog. We always recommended that people ask the vet how many cases they have actually treated when selecting a vet.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
only the bigger vet offices that are 1 hr away from my house have web sites in my area...

Now you can see why i'm having such a hard time finding a vet I actually like... -_-

·
Registered
802 Posts
You have every right to interview them or find out this info by phone from their vet techs.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I don't really know how important it is where the vet graduated from. I am graduating from a great school and I can tell you that some of the people from my class I would never go to if I had a medical problem. I personally like to just go for a vet visit once we have a problem and if I don't feel like the vet was thorough, listed to me and fully examined and ran all the necessary tests, then I move onto the next vet!! No need to stick around since there are other options. I am really not that picky but I think once you find someone you trust and you feel is a great vet, the distance isn't that important. I mean how often would you go there?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by okw@Nov 17 2005, 12:48 AM
I don't really know how important it is where the vet graduated from.  I am graduating from a great school and I can tell you that some of the people from my class I would never go to if I had a medical problem.  I personally like to just go for a vet visit once we have a problem and if I don't feel like the vet was thorough, listed to me and fully examined and ran all the necessary tests, then I move onto the next vet!!  No need to stick around since there are other options.  I am really not that picky but I think once you find someone you trust and you feel is a great vet, the distance isn't that important.  I mean how often would you go there?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120495
[/QUOTE]
no it isnt that important... i always like to just see if they went to cornell or did a residency there because then they know Dr. Center... and thats where kodie went for all his testing for his liver. It's just helpful.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Omg... its a miracle! I was looking at the hospitals I took kodie to for testing about 1 hr ago and I found the same resident internal medicine doctor that i saw at Cornell! He was WONDERFUL and he is NOW at the place that wanted to CUT kodie open!! The lady i saw there that wanted to do exploratory surgery on kodie is NO longer there!! There must be an angel looking down at me!!! Take a look... http://www.rbvh.net/services/internal/aguirre.htm
He just moved to this hospital in northern NJ!! I never wanted to go back there after they were soo rude to me but heck! I loved him so much I will go back now!!
The bad part is... kodie's regular doc he saw there is no longer there... umm... now i have to find a general doc for him...
but at least I found kodie's internal medicine doc. he saw.

haha.. and the funny thing is that he is now working at the same place he laughed at for diagnosing kodie with a shunt! HAHA... If i see him i'm gonna remind him of that... in a nice way of course!!

Is it just me or does vet offices have a big turn over rate??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts