Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="color:purple">This would give possible new guidelines as follows:

1. A series of vaccinations is given starting at eight weeks of age (or preferably later) and given three to four weeks apart, up to 16 weeks of age.

2. One further booster is given sometime after six months of age and will then provide life-long immunity.

In light of data now available showing the needless use and potential harm of annual vaccination, we call on our profession to cease the policy of annual vaccination.

Can we wonder that clients are losing faith in vaccination and researching the issue themselves? We think they are right to do so. Politics, tradition or the economic well-being of veterinary surgeons and pharmaceutical companies should not be a factor in making medical decisions.

It is accepted that the annual examination of a pet is advisable. We undervalue ourselves, however, if we hang this essential service on the back of vaccination and will ultimately suffer the consequences. Do we need to wait until we see actions against vets, such as those launched in the state of Texas by Dr Robert Rogers? He asserts that the present practice of marketing vaccinations for companion animals constitutes fraud by misrepresentation, fraud by silence and theft by deception.

The oath we take as newly-qualified veterinary surgeons is 'to help, or at least do no harm'. We wish to maintain our position within society, and be deserving of the trust placed in us as a profession. It is therefore our contention that those who continue to give annual vaccinations in the light of new evidence may well be acting contrary to the wefare of the animals committed to their care.

Yours faithfully

Richard Allport, BVetMed, MRCVS
Sue Armstrong, MA BVetMed, MRCVS
Mark Carpenter, BVetMed, MRCVS
Sarah Fox-Chapman, MS, DVM, MRCVS
Nichola Cornish, BVetMed, MRCVS
Tim Couzens, BVetMed, MRCVS
Chris Day, MA, VetMB, MRCVS
Claire Davies, BVSc, MRCVS
Mark Elliott, BVSc, MRCVS
Peter Gregory, BVSc, MRCVS
Lise Hansen, DVM, MRCVS
John Hoare, BVSc, MRCVS
Graham Hines, BVSc, MRCVS
Megan Kearney, BVSc, MRCVS
Michelle L'oste Brown, BVetMed, MRCVS
Suzi McIntyre, BVSc, MRCVS
Siobhan Menzies, BVM&S, MRCVS
Nazrene Moosa, BVSc, MRCVS
Mike Nolan, BVSc, MRCVS
Ilse Pedler, MA, VetMB, BSc, MRCVS
John Saxton, BVetMed, MRCVS
Cheryl Sears, MVB, MRCVS
Jane Seymour, BVSc, MRCVS
Christine Shields, BVSc, MRCVS
Suzannah Stacey, BVSc, MRCVS
Phillip Stimpson, MA, VetMB, MRCVS
Nick Thompson, BSc, BVM&S, MRCVS
Lyn Thompson, BVSc, MRCVS
Wendy Vere, VetMB, MA, MRCVS
Anuska Viljoen, BVSc, MRCVS, and
Wendy Vink, BVSc, MRCVS

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
umm.... interesting... thats in the UK though... what are you thoughts Ladymontava, JMM, and ladysmom? All this info is confusing me.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Time to "fess up". We refused to allow anyone to vaccinate Sisse until she was 12 weeks. I have read and re-read articles about vaccinations. Most all of what I read was contained in this concise pettition written in the UK. She has had 2 series of shots so far, she is now 15 1/2 weeks old. She is healthy, happy and has not had any reaction whatsoever to either of her shots. We kept her indoors, did not take her anywhere but the Vets office (and then held her, not allowing her down on the floor). We were very careful with her. She potties on the porch and to this day, her feet have NOT hit dirt and won't until she has had the remainder of her shots. No lepto (our Vet no longer gives it to "domestic" type dogs only to dogs that live on ranches and farms).

I am thrilled to know that medical science is overcoming the almighty $$$. We grilled Vets before and asked them about these things, some truly should go back to school with their way of thinking (old school). I personally agree with the protocol for vaccinating as outlined, I am NOT a Vet for sure, but find their studies to be convincing enough for me. I would be interested in others posting their feelings on this.....

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
After my own research, I also do not vaccinate yearly. I make sure they get all their first three shots and a booster at a year. I get rabies at around 7 months. I re-vaccinate every 3 years depending on the furkid.

Thank you for sharing the article.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The 3 year protocol mentioned in that piece is the one and same recommended by vet schools here in the US. AAHA is an American organization as is the AVMA that are cited. I firmly support this and hope soon we have the research to support life-time immunity in challenge studies.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
the vet school teaches us every three years, which i support. but unfortunately many vets still vax every year. i don't know how long it will take before every one switches over. I asked the vet at the place that i'm doing my extenship, and she said that they now vax every two years...i don't know why they chose 2 over 3
i think a lot of vets would be faster to switch over if they knew their patients would still come in for annual exams. many people think just because their dog seems fine, that they don't need the exam...they dont realize how much a dog ages in a year compared to a human.
i think it will be great for vets to switch b/c then maybe people will be able to afford the more necessary procedures; like dentals and geriatric workups. when i start looking for a job next year I hope to find a clinic that follows the 3 year program. and i hope that the law for rabies vax changes b/c of this too.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have also made the decision not to vaccinate yearly. My Vet has changed their Rabies protocol to two years from every year, but I want the three year schedule, especially since my two oldest kids have reactions to this vaccine. I don't know what they will say about annual vaccines, I know they still do them....I may be switching vets, we'll see. I'm just not sure about the annual booster for the core vaccines for Brie when she reaches one. I know I have no choice with Rabies.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
u have the right to decline the vaccines..u can tell them even if they r yearly that u will only be doing them every three years. they cant make u. u just might not get the reminders.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
ok i learned some new stuff. actually changed my mind for the time being...there is only one approved combo vax for dogs labeled for 3 years...i have never even heard of the brand
the other companies are working on their products getting labeled for this. this will take a while, depending on how long they have been working on it.

as far as titers...which is what brought up the whole issue in my group...a class mate of mine has to run a titer and look up info on the accuracy of the test. well the test is complicated, and has lots of room for errors. granted this was his first time and usually well trained people are performing these tests. but they are not 100% accurate
and even if ur pup still has vaccine in their system, there is no way of knowing that it will last until next time a titer is run. there are a lot of holes...more than i know. so at this time i will stick to vaccinating my dog every year. there are no problems with getting the vaccines every year, so i will keep it this way until all the wrinkles have been ironed out.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Mar 9 2005, 09:37 PM
there are no problems with getting the vaccines every year, so i will keep it this way until all the wrinkles have been ironed out.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41616
[/QUOTE]

I thought that some sort of autoimmune disease has been associated with annual shots, which is why everyone is scared of getting them. That is why I don't want to... I thought I had read that dogs were getting a dangerous autoimmune disease and they had recently had their shots..... I need to read more about it... Another case of my knowing just enough to be dangerous............

Here are some articles on the subject....

http://www.whale.to/a/vets2.html

http://www.finchspoms.com/home/ANNUAL%20VACCINES1.htm

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well according to the virologist...there were no negatives to the vax...and it was the feline population that has good reason due to the vaccine associtated sarcomas. so i dunno...its a to edge sword i guess...but to me the viruses are a lot more common that the chance of having a prob w/ the vax. i''d rather take my chances and get the vaccine at the moment.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
posted twice sorry

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Mar 9 2005, 10:00 PM
well according to the virologist...there were no negatives to the vax...and it was the feline population that has good reason due to the vaccine associtated sarcomas.  so i dunno...its a to edge sword i guess...but to me the viruses are a lot more common that the chance of having a prob w/ the vax.  i''d rather take my chances and get the vaccine at the moment.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41622
[/QUOTE]
You are so right about it being a double edged sword.... sort of a "darn if you do and darn if you don't." I guess that is why this subject is talked about so much because there is no definite answer and it is a matter of each person deciding for themselves, yet it is hard to know what is best to do.... do we risk immune-mediated hemolytic anemia and possibly other complications or do we risk parvo and distemper... I hate having to make such decisions!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well so far the cause of IMHA is not known...it is only a speculation. and it is rare...so being that parvo and distemper are not rare..i recommend the side of the sword that is the least sharp and less risk

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Accuracy with titers seems to depend on who you ask. At a CE conference a few months ago we were told they are very accurate. I've heard others say they're not. I've heard others say but it could change tomorrow, etc. There is definately a lot of controversy.

Based on the challenge studies done with modified live combo vaccs, I feel very comfortable with the 3 year schedule. Vaccines are definately not harmless, especially for dogs with health issues...

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes but if a vet uses a vax labeled for 1 year and says come back in three years and the dog gets the disease, then the vet is liable. so until the major companies have a label for 3 years, i will vax every year with them so i dont get sued.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
That is why we waited so long to switch to the 3 year protocol. We have to explain to every owner about the new recommendations, labeling, etc. Many vets have vaccine disclosures so that they are doing the healthier thing for the animals while covering their butts. The biggest thing in my mind is that often you can get reimbursed by the vaccine company if your dog has problems from the vaccine and if you don't use it as labeled, that goes out the window (similar to heartworm meds). I think the 3 year challenge studies are quite sound...but I haven't read everything on them I'm sure.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well as long as they sign something thats fine. i havent been in the working vet world in a while..i will see how thats like in two weeks b/c i will have my first small animal patients
i will ask the internist about this...i hope the school does get them to sign b/c i know they switched to the three year program.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts