Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just listened to the Nashville news!!!!!!!! People must have gotten their points across to the judge and others that mattered. The families that have been fostering the dogs in their homes will have first option on the dogs that they have had. The bidding starts at 100.00 each and ...........

ALL DOGS MUST BE SPAYED OR NEUTERED!

I am SO excited for these families!!!!!!!

The auction is two weeks away. They showed a few dogs/puppies on the news while ago...which is the first time I have seen them do that. I would love to go to Franklin-hubby says "no more animals".
He knows if I go just to "watch" that I would come back with one.

My only fear is the "health" of these pups b/c of the conditions the dogs were in. I honestly would be in bad trouble if I got a REALLY sick dog. But most of the ones there have already had vet checks. Hmmmm. Contemplating a trip still. :ph34r:

J

·
0 Posts
That is great news! Finally these little ones get some great news. Now I just hope that the bidding starts and stays at $100.00. I would hate to see people trying to keep their baby and the bid just gets to high for them.

Lacey and I sent all of our good thoughts to the fosters (soon to be permanent) parents!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would hate to think they would have to go through getting to know another family or worse go to another bad situation. I know Lucy has been with us 2 weeks and for her to have to go through any more changes would be inhumane. she is begining to trust me some and feels secure when by my side. I will pray the foster parents get the puppies.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:ph34r: Okay so I was lurking on that other site (not to be mentioned :eek: ) and it appears that that they have stopped the auction and all the foster's get the option of purchasing thier babies for a fair price. That would mean there shouldn't be an auction? I hope this is correct, and I am grateful for those caring loving foster parents that they get to give these babies a life.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Oct 1 2004, 05:26 AM

Just listened to the Nashville news!!!!!!!! People must have gotten their points across to the judge and others that mattered. The families that have been fostering the dogs in their homes will have first option on the dogs that they have had.  The bidding starts at 100.00 each and ...........

ALL DOGS MUST BE SPAYED OR NEUTERED!

I am SO excited for these families!!!!!!!

The auction is two weeks away. They showed a few dogs/puppies on the news while ago...which is the first time I have seen them do that. I would love to go to Franklin-hubby says "no more animals".
He knows if I go just to "watch" that I would come back with one.

My only fear is the "health" of these pups b/c of the conditions the dogs were in. I honestly would be in bad trouble if I got a REALLY sick dog. But most of the ones there have already had vet checks. Hmmmm. Contemplating a trip still. :ph34r:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=10555
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, Everyone! I'm really glad I found this forum. I'm one of the volunteers, as well as a foster mom, to one of the adult male dogs taken in the Siliski puppymill raid. I fell in love with the little guy when he was still too scared to come out of his cage. He's learned how to play, and is a happy little tail wagger now. I can't wait to make his adoption final.

I'd like to correct a couple of statements made.
The Williamson County commissioners voted unanimously to STOP the auction, and allow the foster parents first option to purchase their dogs. We DO NOT have to bid on them.
Right now, we are just waiting for the judge to sign off on the deal, as he has said he would.

The dogs will be evaluated by some Maltese experts who have volunteered their time, and a value will be placed on each dog, starting at a minimum price of $100. Veterinary costs that the foster parents have spent in excess of $100 will be taken into consideration. This very well could have left Williamson County with a deficit in what they've spent. But we were joyously surprised at the meeting by an announcement that a guardian angel has promised up to $125,000 to make up any shortfall in funds, providing all the dogs are spayed and neutered, which we wanted for them anyway. This wonderful person has asked to remain anonymous.

We have also set up a tax-deductible "Puppymill Fund" which is accepting donations to help any foster parent who would find paying their full given price a hardship. Many of our foster parents have taken in more than one dog, and some of their medical bills have already been very high. The cost of any unfostered animals will also be covered by the fund. (Un-fostered animals will be placed in loving homes through a special adoption process.) Any money remaining after the adoption of every animal will be used towards spay/neuter costs for these dogs and others. Donations to the fund may be sent to:
People for Animals
PO Box 991
Franklin, TN 37065
Designate to: The Puppy Mill Fund
(EIN: 62-1304791)

We have greatly appreciated all the support and good wishes we have received from Maltese lovers around the country. Thank you all!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
baw1227-this site doesnt mind you posting the information. It only benefits everyone! I'm also happy you get to keep your baby! When I first saw pictures of them, they looked horrible, and after time has past and they've had REAL TLC, they all looked great! If I didn't already have two babies, I would have definitely fostered one!

Please show us pix of your baby asap!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Oct 1 2004, 10:05 PM
baw1227-this site doesnt mind you posting the information.  It only benefits everyone!  I'm also happy you get to keep your baby!  When I first saw pictures of them, they looked horrible, and after time has past and they've had REAL TLC, they all looked great!  If I didn't already have two babies, I would have definitely fostered one! 

Please show us pix of your baby asap!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=10680
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for letting me know I can post the information. I'll be happy to add a picture and tell you all about him as soon as he's legally mine. :D

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the information. I am SOOO happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I emailed the judge and the animal control people today for clarification of what exactly is taking place now...and have not yet gotten a reply. Maybe you can help me.

What is going to happen to the dogs that have NOT been in foster care? Isn't there some that were nursing moms etc...that did not leave the shelter? What happens to them? Can they still be adopted? Is there even going to be ANYTHING on that October date that the auction was supposed to be held on? What if me/someone is interested in trying to adopt one...what do they do?
Are there vet/medical records on the dogs since they have been in the county's care? I am sure there is...but just checking.

Again..I am so happy for you and all the other foster parents out there. This is a GREAT victory for you all. I am sure that they (the animal control and the judge) were flooded with complaints and opinions after the ruling. (they heard from me twice!) The decision he made was ridiculous...and had potential to make things as bad or worse for the animals in the long run. Just knowing that all of them will have to be spayed/neutered and that whoever the "guardian angel" is helped with the cost of the care lets me know that God heard all our prayers. Knowing that the foster parents are not going to have to fork over their right arm+life savings after opening their hearts and homes to these angels...gives me a huge sense of relief. Give your own furbaby a kiss from me and Brinkley. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know you must be able to sleep easier at night yourself now!

·
Registered
12 Posts
All of the puppies born after the raid in January have been weaned, and most of them are already in loving homes, as are their moms. Contrary to what one individual who shall remain nameless has suggested, NO females became pregnant AFTER they were taken in the raid. (We've been VERY careful to separate the boys from the girls!) The dogs left that have not been fostered yet will be placed for adoption. I don't yet know what the process will be to apply for adoption for those people who are not already fostering. (We each had to go through an extensive interview process, and all foster parents spent time volunteering at the shelter so they could understand the special needs of these dogs.) As soon as I know what the process will be, I will be happy to post the information here if I am given permission by the authorities. We want to find loving homes for all these babies who are left, but you must understand that due to what they've been through, they'll need lots of love and patience, as well as some significant medical care. I'm sure adoptive parents will be able to get copies of medical records for what has been done since January. As far as I know,nothing will be happening on the October date originally scheduled for the auction.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks so much! You have LOTS of great information!!!!
:D

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
HEHE, more Tennesseans joining this site!

Baw1227-You should make us an introduction topic later! I love hearing rescue stories! My sister's got ONLY ONE and she wants another one.

Do you know how many Maltese don't have fosters?

I, also, emailed the judge. hehe...A nice letter though. I don't think that the judge had any other alternatives at the time but to auction the Maltese off just so the animal shelter, vets, etc would get their money back. But now, everything is going well so far.

I think it's so awesome you took time to volunteer! That was the time I just got my babies so I had to take care of them instead. HEHE

PLEASE keep us posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Although we thought we had been successful after the Williamson County commissioners voted, we had another setback today and are back in Limbo. The judge has not yet signed off on the proposal to allow the foster parents to purchase their dogs, and in court today were a number of people claiming some of the dogs were theirs. The judge now has to sort through all their documentation and rule on whether or not it's sufficient to prove ownership. (The names of these claimants were listed by another poster on the MO site, if any of you want to see them.) Keep praying for us and for all our foster babies.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts