Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy has such stinky breath that I finally decided enough is enough. We are going to the vet on Sunday to have her mouth checked out. I suspect that she has a few danglers (teeth that are ready to fall out but won't). It definitely goes in waves, but has been pretty sour smelling for the past two days. Also, when I was washing her face this morning I noticed that her upper jaw felt a bit weird, like there was movement under the skin (probably a tooth). She won't let me near her teeth...so off to the vet we go.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Her breath is so bad, I want to switch out her avatar photo...can you smell it from your computer? Only kidding of course....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@May 26 2005, 02:28 PM
Her breath is so bad, I want to switch out her avatar photo...can you smell it from your computer?  Only kidding of course....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65672
[/QUOTE]

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@May 26 2005, 02:28 PM
Her breath is so bad, I want to switch out her avatar photo...can you smell it from your computer?  Only kidding of course....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65672
[/QUOTE]

good luck, I hope they can do something. Did you have the babies pulled when she was spayed, too? The reason I ask is that I assumed the vet planned to take all the baby teeth, but she told me after that she got "most". I guess that means I have more to wait for, and I noticed her breath is a little funny again

Valetta and Phoebe kisses

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She used to be really good, letting me look in, touch and brush all of her teeth. But since teething began it's been a different story. Now she'll only chew on the brush if she feels like it. I've tried to work my way back into her mouth to no avail. When I try to get in, she clamps those little jaws shut just like an alligator. She still loves the toothpaste and is rather skilled at licking it off from in between the bristles of the tooth brush.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I am back from the vet...our puppy had to stay to have baby teeth pulled. Unfortunately, one of her upper back molars (I'm not sure what you call them in dogs) was the cause of her foul breath. Basically the hollow shell of the tooth was a collection site for anything that went into her mouth. Because the tooth is so sharp, it kept cutting into her poor little gums. Now I feel terrible that she's been in pain for the past week or so with this. But the vet said she's going to be just fine and that there is no sign of infection (thank goodness). So she will have at least four teeth pulled today...that's all that she could see that haven't come out yet. I had to leave her so they could sedate her and pull the teeth. She'll be ready to come home around 3:00 pm. The good news is that she shouldn't have any more bad breath and her tear staining should be resolved. The vet thinks it's because of her teeth.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww...nothing hurts like a bad tooth!
Glad she is getting it taken care of!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, we are back home...she had 5 teeth pulled today. Two were wiggly ones that just dangled and the other three were solidly rooted. She seems no worse for the wear and was very happy to see us this afternoon. She is sleeping quietly right now, but she did run about in the yard for a bit when we first came home. She weighed in at 4.4 lbs. and is 38 weeks old (9 months). The vet thinks that she won't gain much more than a pound. Everything else was great...she is a very healthy and happy dog! (Always nice to hear) And everyone ooohhh'd and ahhhhhh'd over her in her pretty red bow and matching bag. I'm glad that we had it done and now I'm off to boil her chicken for dinner. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I'm so glad she's okay and no more pesky baby teeth. This is totally why I pull all of them at 6-7 months. Just too many problems. They really do bounce back like nothing happened, huh!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts