Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, sorry if this has been posted before...but I was wondering if you give your little ones vitamins? I spoke to the vet today regarding Lacey's ear test...yes on a Sunday, this vet is so great! She puts up with my crazy questions. I was asking her if I should keep giving Lacey her vitamin...could it be causing a food allegery? She asked me why I had Lacey on a vitamin and I told her I thought it would be a good preventive health benefit to her. I have Lacey taking a multivitamin (NuVet Plus) and two capsules of the fish/vitamin e capsules daily. She told me that she didn't believe that Lacey needed either. Lacey is very healthy and she knows the dry kibble that Lacey is eating and believes that Lacey is getting everything that she needs. So I was wondering what you guys think? Lacey's vitamins are not cheap, not that I am complaining about the price, but if she doesn't need why am I spending a small fortune. I just started giving Lacey the fish oil/vitamin e capsules last week. Read here that it was good for the hair. Lacey has about a two week supply left of the vitamins so it is time to reorder. My breeder had her on them before I even brought her home and I know that she keeps her dogs on them and swears by them.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
My breeder had Brinkley on a supplement called Nupro...Here it is on a site...Nupro Dog Supplement

She sent some home, and I ordered it when it was gone. It was really cheap for as far as it went..I sprinkled it on his food. But, when I was having so much trouble getting him to eat his kibble, eliminating the Nupro was one of the things I tried. Once I found food he would eat, I never went back to using it. I never noticed any difference in it. Your vet is prob right...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think the vitamins are more for people who do those homecooked meals for their dogs but i am not sure, someone on here who does them might know for sure.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know my breeder does the homecooked meals for her dogs. I have thought about it with Lacey but until I know for sure if the ear infections are from food allegies I am sticking with her dog food. Don't want to change her food and not know for sure. I do want what is best for her so if I have to go the homecooked route I will.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, when the dogs were on dog food...they didnt take any vitamins. but now that they're on homecooked meals...they take a vitamin everyday and i add flaxseed oil and bonemeal to their meals.

if you trust your vet, and he says that your baby doesnt need the vitamins...then dont spend extra money if you dont need to,
thats what i would do..spend that money on toys!! lol.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Well Alex is on home cooked food since I got him at 10 weeks. He is now almost 8 years old and has never taken a vitamin. His diet is varied enough that he does not need that. Years ago we had a miniature dachshund. The darn little thing did not want to eat anything else then meat, poultry. Dog food ? forget it. She would stay without eating for 4 days rather then eat the dog food. She lived almost to 17 years old and did not had vitamins. And was never sick. Besides false pregnancies because she was not spayed. At the time vets in Europe were not telling people to have their pets neutered or spayed. We had her spayed when she was 10 years old here in the States when the vet told us this is the best option to stop those multiple false pregnancies.
Since Alex had surgery for a cruciate ligament rupture on his knee he is now on Chondro-Flex II, a joint care formula. But that's it.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie was on vitamins too when he was still at the breeders... but then i brought him home and buy some for him... cause he was only about 1lb.. so i thought he needed the vitamins.. i asked the vet after that and they told me he does not need that now. Unless the vet recommends the vitamins i wouldnt give them to your dog.. cause when i was at cornell university with kodie... they told me that people sometimes give too many vitamins to a dog... thats not good either.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for your replies. The vet told me that Lacey did not need them and that sometimes we can give to much and that their little livers can't handle all the vitamins. I think I will finish up what I have left and not order/give them to her unless the vet says she needs. I am going to continue with the fish/vitamin e capsules. Don't know how long it will take to see any results with her hair. Lacey has pretty nice hair but this winter heat is starting to dry it out.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
we were taught in school that they dont need vitamins. only necessary for pregnant dogs and dogs that arent eating right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts