Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see one of the ads at the top of the page is for Vanage and I wanted to recommend it to everyone who has broadband internet service (cable or DSL). John and I got Vonage and we LOVE it.
We get unlimited calls in the US and Canada (not that we call anyone in Canada) for $24.99 a month. We can make unlimited calls to anywhere in the US and we don't get charged extra. My father-in-law is switching over because he pays over $50 a month for his phone service and he doesn't get unlimited calls.
Here is how it works. You go to Best Buy (or Vonge's web site) and get the adaptor, then you hook the adaptor up to your internet connection (cable or DSL) and then you hook your home phone up to the adaptor! You can keep your phone number or choose a new one. (We picked a phone number from one of the rich towns because they didn't have our town available.) You can even pick a number from a different state and you can have as many phone numbers as you want for $5 extra a month for each number. So say you live in CA and you have family in NY and you call them all the time and they call you all the time. You can have a CA phone number and a NY phone number for $30 a month and your family in NY can call you at your NY number for free (if they have free local calls)! And your CA friends can still call you without having to call a long distance number to your NY number. Or you can just have a CA number and you can call your family in NY for free and just call them instead of them calling you. I just call my family back so they aren't charged long distance whenever they call me.
And here's what the $24.99 a month includes! You get call waiting, call forwarding (I send calls to my cell phone when our internet is down, Vonage doesn't work when the internet is down but it does forward to my cell phone), voice mail and it even emails you your voice mails! When I get a voice mail I just check my email and I can listen to the message on my computer! Or I can just dial *123 type in my password and get my voice mail right through my phone. Or you can go to the Vonage web site and check your voice mail there. They keep a record of all your incoming and outgoing calls as well as a section for your voice mail. You also get 3 way calling and a ton of other things free with Vonage.
Ok now that I have rambled on about this service, click on the advertisement and check it out!

If anyone gets it feel free to say that John and Jodi Gibson recommended it and we will get a free month of service for each recommendation. Of course you don't have to say we recommended us I just want to get the word out about it because I am in love.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well if you have a phone on a phone line and you get Vonage on top of that instead of in place of that, then sure you can have it on one phone. It's like having another phone line if you don't want to get rid of your real phone line. You will just have to pick another phone number for your Vonage since you don't want to get rid of your other phone company.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
ah what I meant was, can all of your phones still work or do they need to be plugged into something special to be able to use them?

We have phones in almost all the rooms of my house, and someone I know was looking into this but said that only one phone in the house will work with vonage unless he could figure out another way to set it up. I need to find out if he ever went with it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I don't know for sure but I assume it would work. Let me tell you why.
Your regular phone that you have right now is hooked up to a phone jack in your wall. ALL of them (if you have 1 or 10) they all hook up to a jack in the wall in one room or another. The Vonage Phone hooks up to your cable (or DSL). OK so maybe this won't work with DSL. Please tell me you have cable not DSL. Anyway if you hook up the phone through cable you don't have to worry about taking up phone jacks so it will act like a second phone number in one house. With Vonage the Vonage phone would hook up to your DSL and bypass (ignore) your phone connection. That's what I assume will happen. Anyway, why would you want to keep paying your regular phone company and add another bill on top of that by getting Vonage? I would either stick with your regular phone company and pay for an additional phone number or switch to Vonage.

*OHHHH I just reread your post! I get what you are saying now. Ok so you are saying that you can only use one phone with Vonage. OK yes and no. John and I have two phones (we bought one of those package deals with two phones in the one box) and both work with Vonage but there is one down side. I can not be on one phone in the bedroom and John on the phone in the livingroom with the same conversation, or even seperate conversations. If I am talking to a friend and John wants to jump in on the other phone (the phone in the bedroom) he can't. If he picks up the phone he will just get dead silent air. We tried it out. We even tried to pick up the other phone so we could hang up the first phone to switch just in case one phone's bateries are dieing, and that didn't work either. So yes you can only have up to as many phones as comes with the package. I think you can get up to 4 phones in a package. I am not sure though so you should check your local store that sells phones.
Our main phone is hooked up to the wireless adaptor (to the computer) and our second phone is just pluged into the wall in the bedroom.
And you don't have to have your computer on for your phone to work either.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
ok I see. At the time I first heard of this there was an issue with multiple phones. I meant to talk to my brother about it, he works for the phone company. I do have DSL, but being that I have phone through them too I get a discount so everything really isnt that expensive. Now, if I had to pay for cable, and then pay for this I probably would only save alot if I were going to use it for long distance (which is free on a cell phone, or included or whatever).

Thank you for the info! I really want to investigate this (when I can find some time).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts