Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She had been vomiting and heaving since 10AM, plus she had diarrhea. At first I was just going to watch her, but it just got worse, so I took her in.

The vet just called and said Molly's blood was normal, all tests were normal. And she hadn't vomited since she arrived.

Anyhoo, she's doing better now. But now I'm hurting with the $180 bill.

I'm just glad she's OK!!


We think she was sick, cuz she got into the trash and ate some chocolate muffin. Yup, chocolate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
I know you're aware of it, but I thought I'd take this opportunity to post this article about chocolate toxicity in dogs for some of our newer members.

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM

$180 - ouch! On the bright side, it could have been worse if you hadn't taken her in so fast and she'd gotten dehydrated. It's amazing how fast that can happen in these little ones. Then they have to hospitalized and be hooked up to an IV and rehydrated.

Bigger ouch!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
OMG I am sure glad Molly is ok now
I guess the vet fee is a little high but at least you now know she is in good health, that would be my main worry.
What boggles me though is why vet fees are not uniform, some charge very high
and some are quite reasonable
Our vet is very reasonable I think

What I normally do it if I have trash that is harmful to Scooby I usually take it to the wheelie bin in the garage to make sure he can't get to it, he has never gotten into the trash inside or out but I always think there could be a first time, so I am extra careful just in case
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,036 Posts
I am so glad that Molly is feeling better this evening. The darker the chocolate the worse it is for the babies. I am glad you took her in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
mmforever, glad to hear she made it ok. $180 huh? that is quite high. We got the puppy Wellness plan through Banfield and it has saved us so much money! They are getting quite popular so it isn't so fast to get routine appointments as it used to be, but for emergencies, they take walk-ins and it is included. Or even walk in if you suspect something. Doc visits are all included in the one year fee.



Sassy's owner: Sassy is gorgeous, how much time does it take you to maintain her long coat? Do you have to wrap her to keep her hair that nice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by mpd@Nov 1 2005, 03:43 AM
mmforever,  glad to hear she made it ok.  $180 huh?  that is quite high.  We got the puppy Wellness plan through Banfield and it has saved us so much money!  They are getting quite popular so it isn't so fast to get routine appointments as it used to be, but for emergencies, they take walk-ins and it is included.  Or even walk in if you suspect something. Doc visits are all included in the one year fee.



Sassy's owner:  Sassy is gorgeous, how much time does it take you to maintain her long coat?  Do you have to wrap her to keep her hair that nice?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=115453
[/QUOTE]

Actually, we have the Banfield plan, but it doesn't cover medication, blood analysis, etc. It only covers basics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
We had a discussion about Banfield - pros and cons- earlier this month. I know that is one of the complaints I have heard from people who have tried it, that it only covers routine visits and that they are so expensive on everything else, it cancels out any savings on wellness care. Most of the people I know who have tried it felt it was worth it for big the first year expenses, but cancelled it after that.

Here's the thread:

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?...opic=6411&st=15
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top