Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everone , I need some support. I am having a hard time today. it has been over a week since I was told I would have to wait for my furbaby Malitda. She has a upper respitory infection. I am so bummed today, I need my baby girl. It seem like it has been months
I no i am being stupid and she will be here before I know it, but I just need to hold her and love her. I read all your posts and see your furbabies, and it makes me want her even more. Yesterday I went shopping for her. I bought so many things. Then I went on ebay
she better come soon or I will be broke. have any of you been through this?
Maybe I just have the baby blues. Thanks for reading this and your advise.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I can't imagine the let down, but you know it is best for her that she be healthy when she comes to you. Do you have pictures that you can at least look at? How much longer before she will be yours? I would say you have a right to have the baby blues.....I so would.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww....I want her to be here too!!!! I NEED another girl on here to be jealous of!!!!

At least you know your breeder cares and she will feel better when you get her!

·
Registered
894 Posts
If you have never had a skin baby it's called "nesting"!! I found that the "nesting" instinct was even stronger when I was waiting for Sisse to come home!! I have to tell you, I had it so bad that I had even printed out pictures from the web on how I wanted her first grooming to look!!
I took this picture of this beautiful puppy in a gorgeous puppy cut from the web and put it in the crate!! So everytime I walked by I would get a "feel" for what she would look like in there.....
Hi, my name is Melana and I am a Maltaholic....

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have to say that Sisse's Momma probably wins the award for Baby Blues! :lol That story is so funny, I had to laugh out loud. Bwahahabwaahaha, it wasn't even Sisse's picture in her cage. *I'm bending over holding my stomach* That's the cutest story in a long time!

MALITDA, it is very hard to wait. I swear my arms ached to hold Izzy. Now I see her running around and it seems like she just got here yesterday. Keep reading the maltese boards, the maltese books, search the web and learn everything possible about your brand new baby. She'll be here soon.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Have you spoken to your breeder? Maybe an update on her health would make you feel better and more connected to her?

You are lucky to have found a breeder who will keep her until she is 100% healthy. Just the stress of being separated from her mom and siblings can cause enough stress to make them more susceptible to getting sick, so she could have gotten much, much sicker if she'd gone to you anyway.

The two of you will hopefully have many, many years together to make for for this lost time.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are so uplifting. I get emails every other day on Malitda. I felt so lonely I went and bought some more things for her. She is going to be one spoiled little girl. I just purchased her a "PINK" dog bed. My husband thinks I have gone nuts. This little furbaby means the world to me. I took for granted my Annie(who was ran over right in our driveway) life is way to short and to precious. I can't wait to hold her. I could't find a breeder around our area, so I found one on the internet. I was fearful about puppymills, but she seems to be good. I will be much better after my Malitda gets here. :D they are going to fly her. Have any of you had a baby flown to you? Will she be ok.I know I have to wait until next week, and then the breeder has to take her back to the vet. I told the breeder I wanted her well she will have enough stress with leaving her mom ansd sister. The breeder has told me they are so attached to Malitda, it will be hard to let her go. She also said that she knows Malitda will be loved and have a good home. I JUST WANT HER

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Definately make sure the vet on her end gives the thumbs up for her to be shipped which is again a stressful experience. I know with humans it can be uncomfortable, even painful, to fly too soon after a cold because of the congestion.

Have you selected a vet on your end yet? If it were me I'd run all this by my vet, too, and also make sure you have an appointment to bring her in right away to be checked out.

BTW, how old is Matilda now?

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do have a vet, I will call her andmake a appointment as soon as I find out when Malitda will fly in. Malitda will be 12 weeks old on the 16th. she weighs 2.1lbs. do any of you know how I can figure how big she will get. I love how I can get replys so fast.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
you know what.. maybe this is a blessing in disguise. your puppy shouldn't be home with you until it's at least 12 weeks anyways

in general, i think you can double the 12 weeks weight and add/subract a half pound or so. of course, this formula doesn't work for everyone..

you can always ask your breeder, she should know

·
Registered
63 Posts
You should also call the airline and see how long she will be on the plane for. If its for longer than an hour I would have her ask her vet to give her something to relax her. I know there is a pill out there for car sickness that relaxes them so they don't feel so anxious, but I can't remember what its called right now

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I know the excitement is unbearable.... when waiting for a puppy, time seems to stand still!

It is imperative that the breeder acquaint her with the crate she'll be flying in. She should be used to being in the crate for a couple hours at least and feel safe and comfortable there before flying in it.

I would not rush things... she should be feeling her best before taking on the stress of flying and I wouldn't even consider having her fly until she is 12 weeks old.

I hope she doesn't have to change planes. If so, then maybe you can fly to the city of the first leg so she won't have to change planes..

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Yes, I'd sit back and wait until June 16th when Matilda is 12 weeks old. There are so many good reasons why good breeders follow the 12 week rule. Not only will Matilda hopefully be healthy by then, she'll learn very important pack behavior from her momma and siblings, like bite inhibition and how to socialize with other dogs. Most likely she'll be partially house trained, too.

Since this breeder is long distance, you are putting your trust in someone you've never met. If it were me, for my peace of mind, I would ask her to have her vet fax the records of the visits about this respiratory infection to my vet to review. Your vet may charge you a review fee or even an office visit, but it would be well worth it in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you all have such good advise. I will talk to the breeder tonight and ask her to make sure Malitda spends alittle time in her crate,and I will ask her to have her vet. fax all the medical records to my vet. I never thought of that. Malitda is suppose to have a direct flight so I will see if her vet feels she might need something to calm her. I get a little fearful. I wish I could have found a breeder closer. I feel I just have to relax and let things work themselves out. I don't think I was this nervous when I adopted my skin daughter. I have three home made and one store bought skin kids. We are now empty nesters. Maybe that's why Malitda means so much. I see all your furbabies pictures and it makes me smile.They are all so special. We are lucky huh?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts