Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to walk my dog Skipper in our small town. He is very good walking around cars etc. Except when a big dog comes out at him.
I was walking him today and 2 dogs came out at me (their owners were with them except they did not have a leash on). My dogs always have a leash on. I always pick him up when a big dog comes at me, he starts growling. Well the first dog jumped up on my trying to get to him, he also slobered on me (yuck). The owner did come get him.
The second dog only came out at us but the owner came and got him before he could jump on me.
Is there anything I can do if a big dog comes out at me and their owners are not around? A big dog can kill my little 8 pound dog in one snap, and I do not think it is right to deprive him of his walks because of other dogs.
I am going to call the city police later and report both instances and ask them what I can do, since the city has a leash law.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
We too have big dogs that are loose and we have a leash law. We have a neighbor that has two big gorgeous Great Danes. They are magnificent to look at but they jump on you and I am scared they will hurt my babies. They would not mean to hurt them but it is scary~~~Good luck in trying to get the owners to keep them on a leash!!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I deal with the same thing here. I pick bisou up though when I see them coming at us. It seems a lot of people want their dog to be 'free' and leash less..which is really annoying (at least to me).

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
We have a leash law too, but many don't abide by it. Makes me so discouraged to go on walks anywhere.We mostly just walk around my 2 acre yard.But I've seen strays running across our property,so that's not too safe either. Maybe I need to get some doggie mace.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
i've had this happen and i stand between my dog and the dog coming at us, with my side to the dog coming at us (a calming signal), and my arm extended and hand flat and yell "stop". for some reason that has worked well for me. i think i might get some of that mace/pepper spray, too, just in case.

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
I can't tell you how many times dogs have ran out at the girls,:w00t: some owners have said, "Oh they won't hurt them" ya right.:angry: Now I only walk them when my husband and I are together, otherwise I keep them in a stroller

1 - 7 of 7 Posts