Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the "K.I.S.S. Guide to Living with a Dog" and in that they had the schedule of an average dog. In that "average" schedule the dog was taken for a walk pretty much every waking hour! There were 12 walks in total for one day.

I take Chilly for one walk a day for about 15-25 minutes, he gets 2 if he's lucky and my mom wants to take him. I've read that since Toy breeds are smaller they can get some necessary exercise just from running around the house, etc. but there seems to be a huge gap there.

I was just wondering how many times you walk your Malt and for how long?

-Mal&Chilly-

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I take the girls outside to potty in the morning twice (we kind of walk around for 5 min or so), again at lunch and then 2-3 times after work. If the weather is nice we will either go for a walk or play with the neighbors' dogs. They get most of their exercise playing inside. I'm hoping now that it has finally started cooling off that I will be able to take them for walks every day.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Miko goes for walks 2 times per day around 30 minutes each time unless its raining (like it is right now). Miko loves his walks (and so does my husband
). I wouldn't take your puppy out at all unless he had all of his shots. I know he/she has a lot of energy, but its not worth the risk of parvo.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
A good way to burn energy when you can go outside is to play with a laser pointer (make sure you don't shine it in the puppy's eyes). When Lexi was a puppy she loved to try and catch the red dot. I just found the laser pointer the other day and Lexi isn't interested anymore but Nikki loves it. We played with it for about 30 min last night. Nikki was so tired afterwards.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I let them play outside several times during the day, before I go to work and I am getting ready, during my lunch hour, I come back and we play outside and then in the evening we go for a 45 - 1 hr walk. Keep in mind they don't walk the entire hour. They stop and sniff around, greet people and we rest but pretty much is one hour.
When they were younger they wanted to go out for walks all the time. They would even take me to the gate. But now, and I am not sure if it is the heat, they prefer staying in the yard under a tree or right at the door.
Then when I don't feel like going for a walk I take them to small dogs play groups. That way they play and run but I don't have to.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I don't walk mine very often because it is just too hot.. we usually go to a park and about halfway through a walk they are dragging so I end up having to carry both back to the car. So I've had to improvise exercise for them since they've pretty much been housebound. We play LOTS of fetch down the hallway. Tuffy loves to play fetch and Pixie loves to chase Tuffy so it's a perfect game that gets them really tuckered out. I usually will throw the ball for 45-60 minutes or until Tuffy just stops bringing it back to me because he's tired. They also run around and play with each other a lot during the day so I feel like they get enough exercise without having to go on daily walks. But I plan to start walking them more often if it ever cools down here. But I still will probably only be able to walk them once a day because I don't like to walk them around my neighborhood so I usually have to drive to a park for walks.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by okw@Sep 15 2005, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't take your puppy out at all unless he had all of his shots.  I know he/she has a lot of energy, but its not worth the risk of parvo.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100008
[/QUOTE]

Good point. Chilly is too young to be out in areas that other dogs frequent. That also includes pet shops, dog parks, grooming salons, etc. Don't put him on the floor when you go to the vet or let him play with other dogs. Experts recommend waiting until 2 weeks after the last Parvo vaccine which is given around 16 weeks.

Puppies who get Parvo only have a 50/50 chance of survival. Here's a must read article.

http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts