Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to buy a dog that would be good for a one year old so they can grow up together, and i would like to her some input on if these are good pets for childern. I do not want a big dog i want something very small a

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hi i know a lot of people have doubts about small kids and maltese but,i have 4 kids 15,12,9,3 and they all get along great with toby! toby ignores my 3 year old son, so i feel if you get the pup early and the kids know how to act around a animal you shouldnt have a problem, toby is not big on the lap thing he will not sit on my lap at all. sandy

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I think maltese are generally good with children, it just depend on the dog, Sampson prefers adults, he will growl at children sometimes but I think this is because he dont know what they are going to do to him, a child "rushing" up to a dog can scare them :shock:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello....I just got my little Hercules a few weeks ago and I have a 2 year old daughter. She mostly ignores Hercules. But they definatly get along great. Sometimes I have to tell Hercules not to jump on my daughter. He likes to pull her pajama bottoms down like the dog and girl on the coppertone ad! Thats how they are! LOL Its very cute to see. He even goes with my daughter to Grandma's house when I am at work! Hercules gets on my daughters nerves more than the other way around.
I think its ok as long as you get a puppy and they are supervised when together. That way they can grow up together and will be used to one another. I would probably not recomend an adult dog, because they may not be used to children. But I feel its the same with any animal. They must be around children from a young age in order for them to adapt to it. My daughter and I love Hercules and are glad to have him in our family!

Good Luck!
Maggie, Hercules & Family

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't think it's not so much that they dont' get along with small children as it is that a small child does not know how to handle these little furbabies. They can get very rough unintentionally. Older children have the capability of being a bit more careful and if need be, cautious as to what they do and how to handle these little guys.

·
Registered
382 Posts
you are so right

I don't think it's not so much that they dont' get along with small children as it is that a small child does not know how to handle these little furbabies. They can get very rough unintentionally. Older children have the capability of being a bit more careful and if need be, cautious as to what they do and how to handle these little guys.[/B]
Malts are pretty fragile with their delicate bone structure and you do have to be gentle and cafeful with them, not to mention if you keep the malts hair long some little ones may pull the hair. I have 6 grandkids all age 5 and under. My Bentley loves three of them and they are more calm and gentle kids but the other 3 are a little ruff and I keep him away from them. He tries to stay clear of them too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts