Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t been on this sub for awhile, but my best bud died Christmas Eve and I don’t want anyone else to have to go through this.

Back in April my dog had a tiny red bump on his side. Smaller than a lady bug. I took him to the vet and they did a needle biopsy. Came back normal and the vet thought it was just a blood blister and to watch it (I started taking pictures which I attached).

During this time my dog had bladder stones. He had been at the vet a week prior, but they thought it was a uti only. So on this appointment they did an x ray and saw the stone. My focus was on the stones and the benign lump didn’t seem important.

I had my dog at university of Florida to see an internal medicine doctor about stone surgery. I showed her the lump, she thought nothing of it. She thought she heard a murmur so we then saw a cardiologist. I pointed out the lump to him too.

My dog had the surgery and the next day he had a little bump on his neck. I called the vet and he said it could be from iv from the surgery, but to see him in a few days if it changed. It got bigger. He needle biopsied it and it came back as just blood and possibly infection. Since my dog was on antibiotics from the surgery he doubted it was infection though. I came on this sub and found comments about dogs with lumps from iv/vaccine which made me relax about it. Had the stitches out, bump was bigger and he needle biopsied almost the whole thing. Nothing.

A week later the lump was still there and I felt another one on his chest. It was Saturday so we went to the ER because the one on his chest literally appeared overnight. A punch biopsy was done and it was Hemangiosarcoma. The vet was shocked. He said he had never seen it show up so fast in multiple places like it did.

I decided to wait for an oncology appointment (don’t do this, take the lumps off immediately). In the week waiting for appointment he acquired five more. He had EIGHT tumors. It had metastasized and gotten into the subcutaneous layer. He didn’t think surgery was a good option (I still really question this decision and wish I had at least tried). I saw two more oncologists and one would do surgery, but only after a CT scan, new biopsy on every lump, and a number of other tests. By this point my little guy was tired. He hated the vet and I worried that the stress could be worse for him than the tumors.

The following months were absolute torture for both of us. The night before Christmas Eve he couldn’t get comfortable. His stomach was bloated and I thought he had to go to the bathroom. Next morning he was breathing heavy so we raced to the ER.
That vet said she could x-ray, pull fluid out, etc. But she didn’t think I should. She strongly recommended euthanasia. Worst day of my entire life. We spent time with him in the room and he seemed to perk back up. Then he started breathing hard again and I picked him up and ran out looking for the vet. He died before she got there.

I feel 100% responsible for how all this played out. My dog was the greatest dog and my best friend. As you all know Maltese have the best personality. The perfect mix of cuddles, playfulness, and pure love.

I still can’t believe he is gone. The only good thing that can come out of this is that maybe his story can save someone else’s dog.

if you see a red or black bump that looks like a blood blister punch biopsy immediately. This cancer is often missed in needle biopsies. Then get someone experienced like a surgeon to take it off and make sure they get wide margins. I’ve read about dogs who had their lumps removed by their primary vet having internal spread.
This is the worst cancer that a dog can get. 100% fatal unless they get the lump before it spreads and it spreads fast. My dog saw so many vets during this time who all looked at his lump and brushed it off as nothing. I wish I had known about this cancer before and asked for the lump to be removed. This isn’t the type of lump you want to “wait and see” days can make a difference. I hope your dogs all stay happy and healthy and give them an extra hug for me. I would give anything to be able to hug mine.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,982 Posts
I am so sorry about your Boo---thank you for alerting others to this dangerous & deadly condition. Unfortunately vets are way too busy these days to give the attention that our babies need & much time can be lost because of this. Here is another article that may help someone move quickly:

Thank you for sharing your experience----hopefully it will help someone else here.

Reactions: BBoo

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm so sorry you've been through this and thank you for sharing. I have never heard of this. Please don't blame yourself, you took him to the experts, there was no way for you to know. Now, because you shared your experience, we know and will know what to do.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Oh how very, very sad that you and your little one had to go through all of this. And I am so sorry for your loss. And I want to thank you for bringing your unfortunate story to our attention here at SM and hopefully it will bring the awareness to those of us who read your post. And as posted before mine, please do not ever blame yourself as it sure was not your fault. You certainly did everything that you could.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I haven’t been on this sub for awhile, but my best bud died Christmas Eve and I don’t want anyone else to have to go through this.

Back in April my dog had a tiny red bump on his side. Smaller than a lady bug. I took him to the vet and they did a needle biopsy. Came back normal and the vet thought it was just a blood blister and to watch it (I started taking pictures which I attached).

During this time my dog had bladder stones. He had been at the vet a week prior, but they thought it was a uti only. So on this appointment they did an x ray and saw the stone. My focus was on the stones and the benign lump didn’t seem important.

I had my dog at university of Florida to see an internal medicine doctor about stone surgery. I showed her the lump, she thought nothing of it. She thought she heard a murmur so we then saw a cardiologist. I pointed out the lump to him too.

My dog had the surgery and the next day he had a little bump on his neck. I called the vet and he said it could be from iv from the surgery, but to see him in a few days if it changed. It got bigger. He needle biopsied it and it came back as just blood and possibly infection. Since my dog was on antibiotics from the surgery he doubted it was infection though. I came on this sub and found comments about dogs with lumps from iv/vaccine which made me relax about it. Had the stitches out, bump was bigger and he needle biopsied almost the whole thing. Nothing.

A week later the lump was still there and I felt another one on his chest. It was Saturday so we went to the ER because the one on his chest literally appeared overnight. A punch biopsy was done and it was Hemangiosarcoma. The vet was shocked. He said he had never seen it show up so fast in multiple places like it did.

I decided to wait for an oncology appointment (don’t do this, take the lumps off immediately). In the week waiting for appointment he acquired five more. He had EIGHT tumors. It had metastasized and gotten into the subcutaneous layer. He didn’t think surgery was a good option (I still really question this decision and wish I had at least tried). I saw two more oncologists and one would do surgery, but only after a CT scan, new biopsy on every lump, and a number of other tests. By this point my little guy was tired. He hated the vet and I worried that the stress could be worse for him than the tumors.

The following months were absolute torture for both of us. The night before Christmas Eve he couldn’t get comfortable. His stomach was bloated and I thought he had to go to the bathroom. Next morning he was breathing heavy so we raced to the ER.
That vet said she could x-ray, pull fluid out, etc. But she didn’t think I should. She strongly recommended euthanasia. Worst day of my entire life. We spent time with him in the room and he seemed to perk back up. Then he started breathing hard again and I picked him up and ran out looking for the vet. He died before she got there.

I feel 100% responsible for how all this played out. My dog was the greatest dog and my best friend. As you all know Maltese have the best personality. The perfect mix of cuddles, playfulness, and pure love.

I still can’t believe he is gone. The only good thing that can come out of this is that maybe his story can save someone else’s dog.

if you see a red or black bump that looks like a blood blister punch biopsy immediately. This cancer is often missed in needle biopsies. Then get someone experienced like a surgeon to take it off and make sure they get wide margins. I’ve read about dogs who had their lumps removed by their primary vet having internal spread.
This is the worst cancer that a dog can get. 100% fatal unless they get the lump before it spreads and it spreads fast. My dog saw so many vets during this time who all looked at his lump and brushed it off as nothing. I wish I had known about this cancer before and asked for the lump to be removed. This isn’t the type of lump you want to “wait and see” days can make a difference. I hope your dogs all stay happy and healthy and give them an extra hug for me. I would give anything to be able to hug mine.

So Sorry for your loss and tragic story. Thank you for sharing this information. You made all of us a little smarter and more aware. 💕🐾

·
Registered
Guinevere
1,242 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. They're such a part of our family and when they leave there's such heartbreak.

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,086 Posts
So sorry for you loss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts