Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been through a lot of unpleasant stuff in my wise old age...but this one beats all. This morning we woke up to a pile of wood shavings under my basement door (leads down a set of stairs to the unfinished basement). We have a laundry/utility area down there which includes what I call the Worker's potty...we didn't get a portapotty while we did our renovations, they used the toilet in the basement. Any way, I went down to investigate thinking it might be some kind of critter (like a squirrel) to find droppings and a complete disgusting mess in and around the toilet, which had no water in it. Apparently a rat had crawled up the sewer line and out of the toilet last night. The plumber has already come and removed the toilet and capped the line and the exterminator has put down a lot of rat poision (in child and pet proof packs). Now there is no way for it to come back into the house. Thank goodness...but how disgusting is that? I have totally bleached my kitchen...top to bottom and I have thrown out all packaged food in my pantry. I just don't want to take the risk it got into the food, although there was no evidence of it. The exterminator didn't leave any poision in the kitchen, only in the basement. I stress that the dog, and the children are never ever down there. Has this ever happened to anyone else? The exterminator said this is one of the hazards of living so close to the water. He went on to tell me about all of my neighbors and their midnight visitors as well.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
A mouse is one thing but a rat!!! You handled the situation much better than I would have. :lol:

Good thing you found it before something worse could have happened.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Ugh! Sewer rats are HUGE, too, the size of cats!

I've had a problem with rats in barns when I've had horses over the years, but thankfully not in the house. It was bad enough to deal with the field mice that would try to move in in the winter! The last few years I was up in New York we had terrible winters and every time it would snow, Holly my Siamese would catch them (eventually), then bring them into my bed to share the fun with me and the other cats!

I must say something in defense of rats. My daughter got a pet rat when she was a junior in high school. I can't tell you how many times I said "no", but somehow Izzie came to live with us. What surprised me (and what my daughter had been trying to tell me), is that hooded rats originally bred to be laboratory rats are incredibly smart and gentle and make great pets. It also helps tremendously in my book that they are white and blond or brown, not "sewer rat brown!

We'd been through them all, guinea pigs, rabbits, mice, etc., but none made as great a pet as Izzie did, I must admit. You do have to get over that tail, though!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
OMG!! I would have FREAKED!!!!

When I was in college I worked in a gas station (small mom and pop store). Anyway in the fall we would get some mice in the store. I would have milk crates tipped over behind the counter so that I could walk on them and not have to step on the ground.
One night a customer came in, most of our customers are regulars, and I had never seen this guy before. He was like "You got a mouse problem?" and I was like "How did you know?" He was like there's one right over there. I about screamed. After he left I got up the courage to go over to the beverage store next door (owned by the same people) and none of the guys would come over!
I finally talked one of the girls to come over. She said she would be my moral support. She SAT on the counter the entire time!. I had to use some boxes to trap the mouse. Gives me the heeby jeebies just thinking about it. If it had been a rat I would have locked up the store and refused to go back in!

·
Registered
179 Posts
You are INCREDIBLY brave!!!

I basically just DON'T DO RODENTS!!!!

when we moved to the country, I had to adjust to all the rabbits, and racoons and even a black snake or two. But I toally.......and I mean totally.....freaked when I saw just ONE mouse in the house. (yep, the ol' elephant on the chair being scared by a lil' ol' mouse cartoon is just right).

Intellectually, I realize they are smaller and probably as scared of me as I am of them.....but emotinally........I lose it!!!!

I hope your prob will be handled quickly and permantly......You are a trooper.

I would have moved!!!! LOL

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We had some rats move under our house and shed a few years back.

The house across the street had been empty for some time. When it sold and people started moving stuff to get ready to move in...I guess they (the rats) decided to relocate to our yard.

I knew they were there...but after a few weeks I had enough!
I went out to the car one Saturday afternoon and one had come out from under the house and was just standing there STARING at ME in my flower bed. I swear he was less than three feet from me...and did not care a BIT that I was there.

I went in the house and told hubby...THEY HAD TO GO!
So we called the co-op and they told us De-con would kill them and not make them stink and stuff. So we put that out.
Well, De-Con dehydrates them, so they die from the inside out.
We started finding them dead all over the yard where they had met their maker coming out of the hole under the shed and whatnot. Finding them half in/out of their holes dead was almost as bad as having them live. I was glad when they were finally gone. I did not care for them at all!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
That happened when we bought our old farmhouse in New York. We had an old barn right behind the house that had just been used for storage and the barn rats had also moved in there. My ex-husband put poison up in the hayloft.

Not only dead rat bodies, but worse were the half dead bodies writhing in the grass! And my animal rights activist daughter accusing us of being murderers!

Come to think of it, that's probably why she got the pet rat years later - to punish me!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Like totally EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 28 2005, 03:31 PM
That happened when we bought our old farmhouse in New York. We had an old barn right behind the house that had just been used for storage and the barn rats had also moved in there. My ex-husband put poison up in the hayloft.

Not only dead rat bodies, but worse were the half dead bodies writhing in the grass! And my animal rights activist daughter accusing us of being murderers!

Come to think of it, that's probably why she got the pet rat years later - to punish me!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104431
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I felt a little guilty for a few minutes when I found them dead...but I got over it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
YES! I had a rodent problem when I lived in LA. I lived close to the beach area and I love to just keep my screen door open on the balcony at all times because the breeze was so wonderful and plus, I lived on the second floor of a nice area.

....little did i know.... One day I was doing some homework at the crack of dawn trying to complte it before my morning ProjectManagement class, heard a noise, turned a round and saw a rat/mouse looking thing looking at me from the unclosed drawer in my desk. I SCREAMED AND RAN out of the apartment in my night clothes and started to cry. I was so scared. I then mustered up the courage to go back into the aprtment to get dressed and leave for school. I cried all day because I was so afraid. What was I to do? I'm so scared and I lived alone! I researched methods of elmination but I didn't want to find a dead rat/mouse one day, I would have a heart attack! I didn't want to do the trap thing because I would still have to look at it, and plus the glue trays are gross too...

THEN I CAME ONTO THIS MACHINE- RAT ZAPPER. It's basically an invention that sends 5000+volts of power through their body and you won't have to look at it, just dump into a trash bag.

Just to let you guys know- I ended up living at my mom's house (over 30 mins away) and slept on her couch for months until she told me that her bf have taken care of the problem. Apparently the rat zapper worked and he saw the tail and the blinking light on top means something is inside.

I was so scared. i had nightmares for over 6 months. Terrifying!

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
My dad used to work for a pesticide company and he said one night he walked into one of the storage rooms and there sat a cat, so he was going to go grab it and take it outside. He said the closer he got to it, the more he realized it wasn't a cat, but a rat! Apparently, the rat had been eating the pesticides and had grown (due to the ingredients in the pesticide) to an abnormal size! He said he just left the "kitty" alone!

On a side note, isn't that scary to think he ingest those pesticides? :new_Eyecrazy:

Prior to moving into our house, we were doing some renovations. Well, the house had sat vacant for seven years so obviously there were some mice in the house. Well, me being me, didn't want to kill the mice with traps, so I made my husband (fiance at the time) go buy some humane traps. He set them and forgot to tell me. Over a week later he remembered and went and got the traps. He said it was so vile that he wouldn't let me see it. It even made him sick. So after that, we decided that an instant death had to be better than starving and agonizing over it. I still feel bad about it to this day.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Sep 28 2005, 03:36 PM
He said the closer he got to it, the more he realized it wasn't a cat, but a rat!  Apparently, the rat had been eating the pesticides and had grown (due to the ingredients in the pesticide) to an abnormal size!  He said he just left the "kitty" alone!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104437
[/QUOTE]

NO WAY!!!!!

Mice don't bother me too bad...don't want them in my house...but they don't gross me out like rats!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I remember my first few days in this country. I was walking to my apartment which happened to BE in the countryside. There was an open sewer along the path. I was just looking around and all the new strange and exotic things and then I saw a little head poke up threw the sludge. THe little head was followed by a big body. My first sewer rat. It scampered out of the ditch (thankfully, on the opposite side from me) and then looked right at me. It sat there staring at me while I stood there staring back. Then it "talked"...a bunch of funny sounding little squeaks. It started to clean itself. That's when I realized that I was going to be all right way over here so far from my home. Because, I thought the rat was cute and I hoped I'd see it again. (And I did, every day, for two weeks, until I was moved into the city.)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have pet rats. Love them. They are smarter than my dogs, cleaner than my dogs, and they have never bitten anyone-only cuddled with them.....

I am not a huge fan of wild rats, but I don't think I'd take pleasure in killing them-or any critter. It would probably make me sick. I have trapped wild ones with a havahart and relesed them elsewhere. There is also a "birth control" that you can put out-that would be pretty effective too.
(And safer for the pets and kids in the house-mine always seem to find things that are not for consumption, and consume it........

Fancy rats have been kept as pets for hundreds of years-they came in ALL colors-including the wild Agouti, and when you get over the tail-they are wonderful companions. (By the way-the tail is an important part of the rats anatomy-it is a temperature regulator)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
My daughter use to work at a Veterinarian' office-and someone brought their two pet rats to be put to sleep-so my daughter took them home and they made wonderful pets. She had to find them another home though because her cats terrorized them and she had to put their cage in a room by themselves. So she decided that wasn't good. I can't remember now their names........

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Airmid@Sep 28 2005, 06:25 PM
I am not a huge fan of wild rats, but I don't think I'd take pleasure in killing them-or any critter.  It would probably make me sick. I have trapped wild ones with a havahart and relesed them elsewhere. There is also a "birth control" that you can put out-that would be pretty effective too.
(And safer for the pets and kids in the house-mine always seem to find things that are not for consumption, and consume it........

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104493
[/QUOTE]

Sorry if it sounded like I took pleasure in killing them with the D-con...

I kill spiders, flies, mosquitoes, roaches, and fleas too. They are just a different kind of critter. I didn't really care for the boldness of the particular ones (rats) living in my yard. Sleeping in my bed at night knowing they were living under my house kinda gave me the creeps too. I just don't care for wild rats.

I am glad that fancy rats can be great pets. I don't want one.

I guess it is the difference in people who like cats/don't like cats.
I don't care for large long tailed rodents or creepy crawly critters that can bite me and my skin/fur family.

PS: Templeton, the rat in Charlotte's Web was one of my favorite characters. Does that redeem me any?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Sep 28 2005, 07:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Airmid
@Sep 28 2005, 06:25 PM
I am not a huge fan of wild rats, but I don't think I'd take pleasure in killing them-or any critter.  It would probably make me sick. I have trapped wild ones with a havahart and relesed them elsewhere. There is also a "birth control" that you can put out-that would be pretty effective too.

I kill spiders, flies, mosquitoes, roaches, and fleas too. They are just a different kind of critter. I didn't really care for the boldness of the particular ones (rats) living in my yard. Sleeping in my bed at night knowing they were living under my house kinda gave me the creeps too. I just don't care for wild rats.

I don't care for large long tailed rodents or creepy crawly critters that can bite me and my skin/fur family.

PS: Templeton, the rat in Charlotte's Web was one of my favorite characters. Does that redeem me any?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104525
[/B][/QUOTE]

Actually-lots and lots of people just don;t like rats. It's fine with me-(Althought hamsters can be called cuter-we rat people know that hamsters almost ALWAYS bite...and are EEEvil...lol)

I wasn't accusing you of liking the killing.....really. I actually find Paul Lindes voice on Templeton a little annoying-I like the goose, and of course Wilbur....lol

Maybe I'm just overly hormonal at this point. (3 weeks to go!!) Sowwy...

For the record-I HATE bugs and kill them whenever I can....(Except spiders)

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Airmid+Sep 29 2005, 04:11 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2005, 07:51 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Airmid
@Sep 28 2005, 06:25 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104525

[/QUOTE]

Actually-lots and lots of people just don;t like rats. It's fine with me-(Althought hamsters can be called cuter-we rat people know that hamsters almost ALWAYS bite...and are EEEvil...lol)

I wasn't accusing you of liking the killing.....really. I actually find Paul Lindes voice on Templeton a little annoying-I like the goose, and of course Wilbur....lol

Maybe I'm just overly hormonal at this point. (3 weeks to go!!) Sowwy...

For the record-I HATE bugs and kill them whenever I can....(Except spiders)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104578
[/B][/QUOTE]

His voice was annoying in the movie..but the repetition of the goose was worse!

I love the book anyway...much better than the movie...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts