Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7,668 Posts
We had some rats move under our house and shed a few years back.

The house across the street had been empty for some time. When it sold and people started moving stuff to get ready to move in...I guess they (the rats) decided to relocate to our yard.

I knew they were there...but after a few weeks I had enough!
I went out to the car one Saturday afternoon and one had come out from under the house and was just standing there STARING at ME in my flower bed. I swear he was less than three feet from me...and did not care a BIT that I was there.

I went in the house and told hubby...THEY HAD TO GO!
So we called the co-op and they told us De-con would kill them and not make them stink and stuff. So we put that out.
Well, De-Con dehydrates them, so they die from the inside out.
We started finding them dead all over the yard where they had met their maker coming out of the hole under the shed and whatnot. Finding them half in/out of their holes dead was almost as bad as having them live. I was glad when they were finally gone. I did not care for them at all!!!

· Registered
7,668 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 28 2005, 03:31 PM
That happened when we bought our old farmhouse in New York. We had an old barn right behind the house that had just been used for storage and the barn rats had also moved in there. My ex-husband put poison up in the hayloft.

Not only dead rat bodies, but worse were the half dead bodies writhing in the grass! And my animal rights activist daughter accusing us of being murderers!

Come to think of it, that's probably why she got the pet rat years later - to punish me!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104431
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I felt a little guilty for a few minutes when I found them dead...but I got over it pretty quickly.

· Registered
7,668 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Sep 28 2005, 03:36 PM
He said the closer he got to it, the more he realized it wasn't a cat, but a rat!  Apparently, the rat had been eating the pesticides and had grown (due to the ingredients in the pesticide) to an abnormal size!  He said he just left the "kitty" alone!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104437
[/QUOTE]

NO WAY!!!!!

Mice don't bother me too bad...don't want them in my house...but they don't gross me out like rats!

· Registered
7,668 Posts
Originally posted by Airmid@Sep 28 2005, 06:25 PM
I am not a huge fan of wild rats, but I don't think I'd take pleasure in killing them-or any critter.  It would probably make me sick. I have trapped wild ones with a havahart and relesed them elsewhere. There is also a "birth control" that you can put out-that would be pretty effective too.
(And safer for the pets and kids in the house-mine always seem to find things that are not for consumption, and consume it........

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104493
[/QUOTE]

Sorry if it sounded like I took pleasure in killing them with the D-con...

I kill spiders, flies, mosquitoes, roaches, and fleas too. They are just a different kind of critter. I didn't really care for the boldness of the particular ones (rats) living in my yard. Sleeping in my bed at night knowing they were living under my house kinda gave me the creeps too. I just don't care for wild rats.

I am glad that fancy rats can be great pets. I don't want one.

I guess it is the difference in people who like cats/don't like cats.
I don't care for large long tailed rodents or creepy crawly critters that can bite me and my skin/fur family.

PS: Templeton, the rat in Charlotte's Web was one of my favorite characters. Does that redeem me any?

· Registered
7,668 Posts
Originally posted by Airmid+Sep 29 2005, 04:11 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2005, 07:51 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Airmid
@Sep 28 2005, 06:25 PM
I am not a huge fan of wild rats, but I don't think I'd take pleasure in killing them-or any critter.  It would probably make me sick. I have trapped wild ones with a havahart and relesed them elsewhere. There is also a "birth control" that you can put out-that would be pretty effective too.
(And safer for the pets and kids in the house-mine always seem to find things that are not for consumption, and consume it........

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104493

Sorry if it sounded like I took pleasure in killing them with the D-con...

I kill spiders, flies, mosquitoes, roaches, and fleas too. They are just a different kind of critter. I didn't really care for the boldness of the particular ones (rats) living in my yard. Sleeping in my bed at night knowing they were living under my house kinda gave me the creeps too. I just don't care for wild rats.

I am glad that fancy rats can be great pets. I don't want one.

I guess it is the difference in people who like cats/don't like cats.
I don't care for large long tailed rodents or creepy crawly critters that can bite me and my skin/fur family.

PS: Templeton, the rat in Charlotte's Web was one of my favorite characters. Does that redeem me any?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104525

[/QUOTE]

Actually-lots and lots of people just don;t like rats. It's fine with me-(Althought hamsters can be called cuter-we rat people know that hamsters almost ALWAYS bite...and are EEEvil...lol)

I wasn't accusing you of liking the killing.....really. I actually find Paul Lindes voice on Templeton a little annoying-I like the goose, and of course Wilbur....lol

Maybe I'm just overly hormonal at this point. (3 weeks to go!!) Sowwy...

For the record-I HATE bugs and kill them whenever I can....(Except spiders)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104578
[/B][/QUOTE]

His voice was annoying in the movie..but the repetition of the goose was worse!

I love the book anyway...much better than the movie...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.