Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
216 Posts
I have pet rats. Love them. They are smarter than my dogs, cleaner than my dogs, and they have never bitten anyone-only cuddled with them.....

I am not a huge fan of wild rats, but I don't think I'd take pleasure in killing them-or any critter. It would probably make me sick. I have trapped wild ones with a havahart and relesed them elsewhere. There is also a "birth control" that you can put out-that would be pretty effective too.
(And safer for the pets and kids in the house-mine always seem to find things that are not for consumption, and consume it........

Fancy rats have been kept as pets for hundreds of years-they came in ALL colors-including the wild Agouti, and when you get over the tail-they are wonderful companions. (By the way-the tail is an important part of the rats anatomy-it is a temperature regulator)

· Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Sep 28 2005, 07:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Airmid
@Sep 28 2005, 06:25 PM
I am not a huge fan of wild rats, but I don't think I'd take pleasure in killing them-or any critter.  It would probably make me sick. I have trapped wild ones with a havahart and relesed them elsewhere. There is also a "birth control" that you can put out-that would be pretty effective too.
(And safer for the pets and kids in the house-mine always seem to find things that are not for consumption, and consume it........

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104493

Sorry if it sounded like I took pleasure in killing them with the D-con...

I kill spiders, flies, mosquitoes, roaches, and fleas too. They are just a different kind of critter. I didn't really care for the boldness of the particular ones (rats) living in my yard. Sleeping in my bed at night knowing they were living under my house kinda gave me the creeps too. I just don't care for wild rats.

I am glad that fancy rats can be great pets. I don't want one.

I guess it is the difference in people who like cats/don't like cats.
I don't care for large long tailed rodents or creepy crawly critters that can bite me and my skin/fur family.

PS: Templeton, the rat in Charlotte's Web was one of my favorite characters. Does that redeem me any?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104525
[/B][/QUOTE]

Actually-lots and lots of people just don;t like rats. It's fine with me-(Althought hamsters can be called cuter-we rat people know that hamsters almost ALWAYS bite...and are EEEvil...lol)

I wasn't accusing you of liking the killing.....really. I actually find Paul Lindes voice on Templeton a little annoying-I like the goose, and of course Wilbur....lol

Maybe I'm just overly hormonal at this point. (3 weeks to go!!) Sowwy...

For the record-I HATE bugs and kill them whenever I can....(Except spiders)

· Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by AJ+Sep 29 2005, 11:31 AM-->
Omg!!! :eek:  That must have been scary

<!--QuoteBegin-Airmid
@Sep 28 2005, 07:25 PM
I have pet rats. Love them. They are smarter than my dogs, cleaner than my dogs, and they have never bitten anyone-only cuddled with them.....

I am not a huge fan of wild rats, but I don't think I'd take pleasure in killing them-or any critter.  It would probably make me sick. I have trapped wild ones with a havahart and relesed them elsewhere. There is also a "birth control" that you can put out-that would be pretty effective too.

Fancy rats have been kept as pets for hundreds of years-they came in ALL colors-including the wild Agouti, and when you get over the tail-they are wonderful companions.  (By the way-the tail is an important part of the rats anatomy-it is a temperature regulator)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104493
I also love my pet fancy mouse (close to rat), hes the best. So smart and sweet
I could never imagine killing one. I dont really like wild mice but I love my little boy Spotty. Mice make great pets, and they are the SMARTEST after rats. Hes very small, but still I love playing with him.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104667
[/B][/QUOTE]

My daughter has a little girly fancy mouse-she's a retired lab mousie from Tufts University! Her name is Licorice, and my daughter can do anything with this tiny little girl.

When you hand her a yogie (preferred treats for all my small pets) she holds it in her two teensy little front paws....too darn cute. Licorice is also having a love affair with Angel-angel licks the air next to Licorice, and licorice puts those little paws on Angels nose and kisses her. Mice are very smart!!!

I HAVE to get a picture of it up!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.