Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a Sago Palm in your yard or inside and it has seeds be warned. Don't let your dog get to the seeds. They are poisonous. Some dogs here in Houston died because of that. One of Houston's Emergency Vet clinic was on Dateline Houston tonight and warned people about it. They get a lot of dogs in poisened by those seeds.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That reminds me a friend of mine's mini doxin (i know its not how you spell it but hey i am a bad speller) ate a christmas palm seed and it died within about a week apparently dogs cant digest them so if a little dog ate one it get stuck in them blocked them up and well kills them. They didnt notice anything wrong with the dog and when they did they rushed him the the vet but he died almost right after getting there
...so dont let your small dog near chirstmas palms either

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I have a few of them, but my dogs are always on a leash (if they even go out). Thanks for the warning. Who knew?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Luckily that is not a Pennsylvania plant. Please be careful, these little guys are so curious. Thanks for the warning!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have Sago palms in our yard but they never had seeds. But my neighboor has one in her front yard and it had seeds for the first time last year. At least it's the first time I saw it. I even took a picture. Will try to find it and post it.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the picture of the palm with the seeds :

Sorry the picture is not bigger. For some reason I cannot download the picture to the gallery.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think on MO there was a posterer whose dog ate the seed (at 6 months) and somehow managed to survive (which is apparently rare). However, recently she had to be put to sleep at the age of 9 yrs old because she had a metastatic cancer (which may have been related to her eating the seed in youth, not sure though). The posterer is 'Shelby'.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some dogs survive as did the yorkie they showed on tv. He was at the hospital for a week. I not even want to think about what the bill was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts