Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
i only buy from vet or drs foster and smith if vet does not have them as there are black markets for pet meds and not safe :( so definitely be careful.

Great post

I will say always check your meds :( I had vet tech put wrong label on my dd soloxine stating give one tablet twice a day and dd is on 1/3 of a tablet twice a day :( I told vet and he was furious so be careful on that

Also second time I picked them up they had a label on bottle to give with food and I questioned again that soloxine is to be given one hour before food and two hours after food so this must be a mistake and they came back saying well it is different for different dogs and i said no not really :( So if any doubt ask the vet as thank goodness this was something she has been on for years and I am knowledgeable about it or this could have been a big mistake with that wrong dose above

I felt bad saying something to the vet but he told me he needs to know if tech is doing things wrong
:( sadly the girl making the mistake was terminated but he said she had made many mistakes like this and I was not the first to let him know

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I only buy from my vet. I'm such a worry wart and need to make sure the chemical or meds were stored/handled properly.

I'm a member on another dog board and someone was just asking if it's safe to buy Frontline on ebay? A couple of members said it was safe, just know your seller. I don't agree with this. What do you all think of buying Frontline on ebay? I would think this could be dangerous.

Thank you for posting this article Linda.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I only buy from my vet. I'm such a worry wart and need to make sure the chemical or meds were stored/handled properly.

I'm a member on another dog board and someone was just asking if it's safe to buy Frontline on ebay? A couple of members said it was safe, just know your seller. I don't agree with this. What do you all think of buying Frontline on ebay? I would think this could be dangerous.

Thank you for posting this article Bonnie.
DANGEROUS to me and would never do it as that is where most of the black market stuff is sold IMO :(

I personally do not use flea meds as in my area not a big concern but I would not chance it

also most mfg will not sell to non-vets I do not believe so where are they getting these meds from ? scary

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
DANGEROUS to me and would never do it as that is where most of the black market stuff is sold IMO :(

I personally do not use flea meds as in my area not a big concern but I would not chance it

also most mfg will not sell to non-vets I do not believe so where are they getting these meds from ? scary

I agree and was wondering the same thing about where the ebay sellers are getting the meds, I bet they are out dated. But, still where are they coming from? As I would think the vet would send the meds back to the mfr.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I agree and was wondering the same thing about where the ebay sellers are getting the meds, I bet they are out dated. But, still where are they coming from? As I would think the vet would send the meds back to the mfr.
I heard they are so good they make the packaging so good it looks like the real thing :( I think they are made in other countries - just too risky to me- If your dog gets sick trust me it will cost alot more than the difference in meds :(

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I heard they are so good they make the packaging so good it looks like the real thing :( I think they are made in other countries - just too risky to me- If your dog gets sick trust me it will cost alot more than the difference in meds :(
They are claiming they are getting the exact same meds I'm buying from my vet, but, at a much, much cheaper cost. I know of a gal that purchases from Australia. Interesting....thanks for the info. If it sounds too good to be true....it usually is.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
They are claiming they are getting the exact same meds I'm buying from my vet, but, at a much, much cheaper cost. I know of a gal that purchases from Australia. Interesting....thanks for the info. If it sounds too good to be true....it usually is.
I have heard of some getting from Canada meds cheaper on flea protection and
heartworm preventative. I would be too worried

The only reason I bought meds from drs foster and smith was my vet nor derm carried clindamycin tablets and dd does not do well on liquid. My vet was going to sell me 400 tablets for $200 lol and i said i only need 25 pills lol so I went to drsfosterandsmith as they sell by the pill but they are the only ones i am comfortable with. I checked with Jackie as have heard different things on petmeds.com

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Another place besides Drs. Foster & Smith to purchase Rx meds, vaccines, and the "normal stuff" is Valley Vet Supply aka Direct Pet. They are located in Marysville KS, and if you live on a farm or have horses they have med supplies for them too. Should you have any question, the vets there are great at answering them, and will quote price over the phone, etc. I ordered from them for years before I lived on the road, and then stopped there a couple of times for meds, and stuff for Star. No worry about getting out dated meds there. :thumbsup:,

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Now I'm a bit uneasy....I ordered Advantix from online from a store in Canada. Only thing that seems different is the package is in metric. I e-mailed them and was assurred it was the same thing as what we get here. I'll watch Ollie very carefully with the first dose.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
I have bought from Pet Meds and Medi Vet they were a little cheaper ..I think they are safe i hope..

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I'm a funny bunny. I wanted any meds, straight from my vet. I can't imagine myself doing it any other way. I have a vets office that I trust, who will explain adminsitration, why it's being administered, what to look for all of it. I can't even tell you how much it cost. Hubby and I are so engrossed in the medical part of it. I just honestly, would not trust an outside source. It's just not worth it, at least to me.

I'm the same way with the "free" cerals, or whatever is sent food wise, with the Sunday paper. Any of you get these? Guess what, straight in the trash it goes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts