Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chanel's breeder sent me an email about how people steal show dogs and then falsley accuse them of abuse, and sell stolen animals, etc...I don't know what that will be about, just got an email from her. Tonight 10 pm eastern and pacific times, 9pm central, on ABC. Just thought I ought to tell you guys!

~Elegant

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also received an e-mail about this program. From what I was told, this is going to slam rescue groups in general. Unfortunately, from what i understand it is going to say that rescue groups are going around stealing dogs from breeders, then accusing them of neglect, etc. Sounds like it is going to hurt the good groups just because of a few bad apples. This has a J.S. sound all over it, although i know she had nothing to do with the program.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting...
I wonder why they would advertise something that wasn't going to be on? Odd...

~Elegant

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i watched it last night, it was on at 10pm my time..
i missed about 5 min of the beginning tho, but the whole segment was about 15-20 min long.

just about this Texas SPCA basically stealing breeders dogs lobbying the judges saying that these breeder's dogs were being abused, starved, and mistreated and sick so they had to raid them in and take all her dogs away

but after all the dogs were examined, none of the dogs had any evidence of being abused, no dogs were covered with feces or urine , some were even overweight but still the SPCA took them in basically "stealing" them

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Jun 4 2005, 04:03 PM
Interesting...
I wonder why they would advertise something that wasn't going to be on?  Odd...

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68977
[/QUOTE]

It was on... just not quite the same show that was hyped. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I wasn't totally convinced that the Texas SPCA was stealing dogs... the conditions didn't look that great to me... guess it is subjective.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i guess my area felt that hurricane programs were more important than animals.

like they haven't shown 19845932 programs about THOSE in the past year

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jun 4 2005, 03:07 PM
the conditions didn't look that great to me...  guess it is subjective.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68979
[/QUOTE]

yeah the dogs condition didnt look great too to me..there were poop in their cages, and so many dogs in several huge outdoor cages... so first i was wondering why the SPCA was said they were "stealing" the dogs..but oh well...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by mee+Jun 4 2005, 04:14 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Jun 4 2005, 03:07 PM

the conditions didn't look that great to me...  guess it is subjective.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68979
yeah the dogs condition didnt look great too to me..there were poop in their cages, and so many dogs in several huge outdoor cages... so first i was wondering why the SPCA was said they were "stealing" the dogs..but oh well...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68985
[/B][/QUOTE]

Sometimes reporters exaggerate to get a story... It's hard to know what to believe... they didn't appear to be showing both sides. They had their agenda and were set on proving it.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
I also watched it last nite. Looked like back-yard breeders to me. I don't know if anyone noticed the Malts? They were filthy. And matted.
Whether it was urine or dirt. All of the dogs, I noticed, were filthy. There's more to taking care of these little ones than throwing food and water in an outdoor pen.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by 3Maltmom@Jun 4 2005, 04:46 PM
I also watched it last nite.  Looked like back-yard breeders to me.  I don't know if anyone noticed the Malts?  They were filthy. And matted.
  Whether it was urine or dirt.  All of the dogs, I noticed, were filthy.  There's more to taking care of these little ones than throwing food and water in an outdoor pen.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68989
[/QUOTE]

Great point! The whole story seemed to center on the fact that they didn't have urine or feces on them... like that was the definitive test for whether or not they were abused.

I think that 20/20 is a sleazy show, IMHO. Not just based on this, but on past topics, as well.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Puppymills are horrible things, and none of us want to see them in operation. I have thought about this program since it aired. Today, I was thinking about law, and whether I could look at this as a situation dealing with something entirely different. Let's say that we were dealing with someone who had 80 to 90 boxes on their property. Someone went to the judge and said I'm going to go seize those boxes because they should have red tape on them, and they have blue. Would we see this as a different thing then? If we look at the legal aspect and whether someone can come in and seize property just because they have the right to do it, and then profit from it, then our country is no better than some of those our men and women are fighting to free.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
The pens where they kept them looked 'shoddy" to me also.I missed some of it,but one women they said had air condtioning in her kennals.I didnt see that though.But what I seen did look like brb to me also.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Jun 4 2005, 06:22 PM
Puppymills are horrible things, and none of us want to see them in operation.  I have thought about this program since it aired.   Today, I was thinking about law, and whether I could look at this as a situation dealing with something entirely different.  Let's say that we were dealing with someone who had 80 to 90 boxes on their property.  Someone went to the judge and said I'm going to go seize those boxes because they should have red tape on them, and they have blue.  Would we see this as a different thing then?  If we look at the legal aspect and whether someone can come in and seize property just because they have the right to do it, and then profit from it, then our country is no better than some of those our men and women are fighting to free.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69009
[/QUOTE]

I guess the difference is that there are laws against cruelty to animals but there apparently is not a definition of exactly what that means. Also, I think it is a matter of whether or not dogs are considered "property" or living beings. Those who see them as property definitely wouldn't think they should be seized.

I don't see dogs as property and do think we should seize them if they are being mistreated. Again, it is a subjective judgement, though, regarding whether or not they are being mistreated. That's where the controvery lies.

20/20 can spin the story to suit their purposes and to make sure they have a story to put on air.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
My dogs are family members. That is why I had to back off and look at this as something totally different. If it were a living being, then it's a totally different matter. I've just received some links that might shed a different light on this subject.

http://www.spca.org/site/PageServer?pagena..._20_Ben_Wheeler

http://www.spca.org/site/PageServer?pagena...0_20_Van_Zandt2

I see that this is around Canton, Texas. This area is notorious for puppymills. If you have never been to the Canton Flea Market, then you might not know about the horrible situation of selling animals there. I stopped by once, and it was one of the sickest situations I could imagine. Animals in cages for sale in these little makeshift booths. I also visited a puppymill outside Tyler, Texas. I can still envision the sight, as well as recall the sench.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Jun 4 2005, 06:50 PM
My dogs are family members.  That is why I had to back off and look at this as something totally different.  If it were a living being, then it's a totally different matter.  I've just received some links that might shed a different light on this subject. 

http://www.spca.org/site/PageServer?pagena..._20_Ben_Wheeler

http://www.spca.org/site/PageServer?pagena...0_20_Van_Zandt2

I see that this is around Canton, Texas.  This area is notorious for puppymills.  If you have never been to the Canton Flea Market, then you might not know about the horrible situation of selling animals there.  I stopped by once, and it was one of the sickest situations I could imagine.  Animals in cages for sale in these little makeshift booths.  I also visited a puppymill outside Tyler, Texas.  I can still envision the sight, as well as recall the sench.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69017
[/QUOTE]

OH GOSH!! I think it is time for me to write 20/20 an email.... As I suspected... they spun this to get a story... they did not truly investigate to see what the situation was... and they thought they were so clever to bring a vet along incognito... Seems like they were just out to get the guy who runs the SPCA and to attract viewers .....

EDIT: For anyone who missed the broadcast, here is a link to most of what you missed: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=817494&page=1

There is a link to a message board on the first page of the story.... Here is the link.... man... if you think we have opinions on this board... whoa.... these people are fightin' mad.... on both sides of the issue!!! http://forums.go.com/abcnews/2020/forum?st...4&byThread=true

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just looked at the subject line on her email to me and it the email was intended for YTCLA members...wtf is that?

~Elegant

1 - 20 of 43 Posts