Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've heard about that happening.. It's amazing how people can do that. You really have to watch your cards anywhere you hand it to someone that takes it somewhere else to process it.. i.e. a waiter at a restaurant takes it from your table to scan it. That freaked me out so much that I try to pay cash whenever I go to restaurants or fast food places.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have also heard another scam this year is people using their camera phones to take pictures of your credit card when you are paying for something. They have a shot of your number and expiration date and make a duplicate card. So everyone please be careful this season, I would hate for that to happen to anyone!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
hey, i also got an email from "washington mutual" saying that theres someone using my acct and i should log in online.

I CLOSED THAT ACCT 2 MONTHS AGO!!

so i called washington mutual and they said that it wasnt them.

be carefull everyone!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Dec 14 2004, 03:26 PM
hey, i also got an email from "washington mutual" saying that theres someone using my acct and i should log in online.

be carefull everyone!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23061
[/QUOTE]

Yes, many fake emails from different banks are going around. The emails have the bank's logo and everything so it looks official. What they want you to do is give them your account # and then that's the end of your $$$. Be careful!!!

It's so scary out there, especially since I always use my checkcard. I might reconsider using checks or a credit card instead of my checkcard.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by mylittlebella+Dec 14 2004, 01:33 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-doctorcathy
@Dec 14 2004, 03:26 PM

be carefull everyone!!
Yes, many fake emails from different banks are going around. The emails have the bank's logo and everything so it looks official. What they want you to do is give them your account # and then that's the end of your $$$. Be careful!!!

It's so scary out there, especially since I always use my checkcard. I might reconsider using checks or a credit card instead of my checkcard.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23070
[/B][/QUOTE]

We get these email all the time at work. Sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. My boss tries to track down the bank if she can to let them know about the emails.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Dec 14 2004, 02:38 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 14 2004, 01:33 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-doctorcathy
@Dec 14 2004, 03:26 PM

be carefull everyone!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23070

[/QUOTE]

We get these email all the time at work. Sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. My boss tries to track down the bank if she can to let them know about the emails.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23079
[/B][/QUOTE]

Theres a fairly easy way to see if its really who they say they are sending the email. All the ones I've gotten have a link you have to go to. Click the link, then look at the address it takes you to. Now its time for common sense. Does the link in your browser match the company name? If not its fake. You cant fake the address in your webbrowser. if you see something that says http://120.8.04.125//ebay.com with numbers infront its on a diff server trying to LOOK like ebay.
I spend waaaay too much time on my puter.

The other thing to do is call customer service. It's only real if the phone number for them is on the email!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
how scary! why must ppl make our lives so difficult

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I keep all my credit card receipts until the bill is paid. If I don't have a receipt to match the charges, I have not made the purchase. I will call the credit card and have them send a copy of the receipt they have to verify that I signed the receipt (just in case I could have forgotten or lost the receipt). Since I don't sign my credit cards on the back (I write in place : "see other ID"), the thiefs cannot imitate my signature.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
We also keep our receipts, we actually had gone out to eat at a local steak house. The bill was 25.95, and we paid tip on the table. Well when the bill came the total was 29.95, the waitress had changed our 5 to a 9. We called the steak house and the manager gave us our money back, so if we hadnt caught that, she would have had a heck of a tip. You guys may want to save receipts used on credit cards when you go out to eat. Some people are just so self absorbed they don't think about what it does to other people I guess. My father in law is a banker and he also had us change our driver license so it wasnt our social security number because he had seen a lot of identity theft going on by using soc from drivers license.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Dec 14 2004, 03:04 PM
I keep all my credit card receipts until the bill is paid. If I don't have a receipt to match the charges, I have not made the purchase. I will call the credit card and have them send a copy of the receipt they have to verify that I signed the receipt (just in case I could have forgotten or lost the receipt). Since I don't sign my credit cards on the back (I write in place : "see other ID"), the thiefs cannot imitate my signature.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23128
[/QUOTE]

That is a good idea about the receipts. I also have "see ID" on the back of my credit cards.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Dec 14 2004, 03:08 PM
My father in law is a banker and he also had us change our driver license so it wasnt our social security number because he had seen a lot of identity theft going on by using soc from drivers license.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23129
[/QUOTE]

IA started doing that a couple years ago. It is actually manditory now I think. Before that you had to ask for it.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
we have check ID on the back of our credit cards too...but no one does..its so aggrevating. we thank them when they do ask.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Dec 14 2004, 05:08 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MalteseJane
@Dec 14 2004, 03:04 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23128
That is a good idea about the receipts. I also have "see ID" on the back of my credit cards.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23131
[/B][/QUOTE]

Mee too. I have Check ID on the back but what if someone steals your # or scans it and makes a new CC... I tell you, some poeple suck!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Dec 14 2004, 03:08 PM
We also keep our receipts, we actually had gone out to eat at a local steak house.  The bill was 25.95, and we paid tip on the table.  Well when the bill came the total was 29.95, the waitress had changed our 5 to a 9.  We called the steak house and the manager gave us our money back, so if we hadnt caught that, she would have had a heck of a tip.  You guys may want to save receipts used on credit cards when you go out to eat.  Some people are just so self absorbed they don't think about what it does to other people I guess.  My father in law is a banker and he also had us change our driver license so it wasnt our social security number because he had seen a lot of identity theft going on by using soc from drivers license.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23129
[/QUOTE]
Wow, that was pretty brazen of her! I always put dashes on each side of the amount to keep them from adding a number to the front of the total. It sucks that we have to go to so much trouble because there are unscrupulous people out there.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The most important thing that they advertise here (the main banks do anyway) is that they would NEVER email you asking you for account details or something. You are ALWAYS either sent forms to complete, asked to attend at your local branch or asked to phone the regular enquiry line (which you can double check). Always be wary!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts