Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a plastic water bottle for IzzyBella to drink from. I saw someone had a similar one attached to a piece of wood. I've read here that the stainless steel bowls help cut down on the tear stains. Will drinking her water from a plastic water bottle work against us? I haven't found a stainless steel water bottle.

What do you use for your furbaby's drinking? Do you use it for any particular reason? What are your thoughts on bottle versus bowl? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
We use stainless steel bowls for Beastie, and distilled water. From everything I've heard and read, ONLY stainless or ceramic bowls are the best for combating tearstains. Also, distilled water contains no minerals to possibly add to the stains.

As for bottle vs. bowl, I've found a small weighted bowl with rubber ring around the bottom to keep it in place works very well in avoiding spills. Haven't tried a bottle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, I use both and have found they drink out of both. I have a water bowl in the bathroom and one on the porch, plus 2 water bottles on the low fence. That way they have water wherever they are plus the bonus is that with the water bottle I can take it in the car and know that no matter where we are they can have a drink.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Jan 31 2005, 11:31 PM
I have purchased a plastic water bottle for IzzyBella to drink from.  I saw someone had a similar one attached to a piece of wood.  I've read here that the stainless steel bowls help cut down on the tear stains.  Will drinking her water from a plastic water bottle work against us?  I haven't found a stainless steel water bottle.

What do you use for your furbaby's drinking?  Do you use it for any particular reason?  What are your thoughts on bottle versus bowl?  Thanks guys.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32653
[/QUOTE]

Hello, We have two Maltese and use both stainless steel water dishes and also the glass water bottles. Like the other poster they use both but seem to prefer the water bottles. We used the plastic water bottles initially, than I found the glass ones in the "hamptster/ ferrett section" of the pet store. There are no stands with these, and there lies the problem. Unless you have a hubby who is handy and can build one. Or, have a crate that it can attach to. We have cedar walls here in the computer room, so ours is just attached to the wall in a cornor of the room. The glass bottles are easier to keep clean IMO

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I believe I heard that with the bottle they often cannot get enough water. After playing they really want to lap it up... I would think using the bottle would make it a very slow process ??

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Feb 1 2005, 08:35 AM
I believe I heard that with the bottle they often cannot get enough water. After playing they really want to lap it up... I would think using the bottle would make it a very slow process  ??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32679
[/QUOTE]
Mine only use their water bottle. They don't like it out of the bowl. But I bought the water bottles with a wide spout that is specially made for dogs. The rabbit bottles are the same size, but the spout is narrower. The dog spouts are about a 1/4 (maybe slightly less than 1/2 inch) inch wide. Petsmart, Petco and catalogues have them. My two boys pee plenty, so I am sure they get enough water. I do have a bowl available to them, but it doesn't get used.
Quincymom

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I was the one with it attached to the wood. That work for awhile but the velcro started to come off. I know have an exercise pen so I can attach the bottle to that.

I prefer the bottle. I get the ones made for dogs. Right now I have the large plastic one from PetSmart. I've thought of getting the glass ones (sold only on the internet) but so far I've not been able to find the size I want. The plastic has not caused Lexi's tear stains to get any worse. Her face is actually cleaner. When she was drinking out of a bowl her mouth was getting stained. Since switching to the bottle it has gotten better.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
IMO, a dog should have a dish of water available. Water bottles are fine for when they are crated or traveling, but they should have a dish, too. Glass or ceramic are what I use. SS is also okay.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Id have to agree with several of the posters here. The dogs need a water dish in addition to, the water bottle.IMO . We have a water bottle set up, but this is more for the assurance of there always being fresh water available. If Im at work, and the bowl has not been refilled they will always have access to water. Again, mine still do prefer the water bottle most of the time. But after running the Maltese 500 around the house they head straight for the bowl of water

BTW......I never realized they had water bottles (glass) specifically for dogs....I have never seen them, only the plastic ones. Though looking at mine the spout is about 1/2 inch wide....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
We use a stainless steel bowl with (omoses )Spelling Water . I heard the plastic bowl could change the pigment . We used to have a water bottle that cliped on to the crat and chester loved it. Then after a month we realized it was leaking water... When we came home from work poor chester was in a pool of water in his crate.. So we don't use them anymore. We did have a water cooler for him but the bottom also stared to leak.
Until we find somthing that really works we will keep filling those bowls up.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I purchased the one like Lexi'sMom has. Thank you all for your input. This one I have has a very large opening with a large ball bearing so I'm pretty sure that it would be enough water for the puppy. I would like to avoid the face staining from her little face being wet. I'll use the distilled water in the plastic water bottle and hope the plastic doesn't cause tear stains.

My miniature schnauzer uses stainless steel bowls and her face is always wet. We'll see if we can teach an old dog a new trick of using the water spout as well.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Feb 1 2005, 03:15 PM
I purchased the one like Lexi'sMom has.  Thank you all for your input.  This one I have has a very large opening with a large ball bearing so I'm pretty sure that it would be enough water for the puppy.  I would like to avoid the face staining from her little face being wet.  I'll use the distilled water in the plastic water bottle and hope the plastic doesn't cause tear stains.

My miniature schnauzer uses stainless steel bowls and her face is always wet.  We'll see if we can teach an old dog a new trick of using the water spout as well. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32831
[/QUOTE]

It should be fine. Most of the tear stains that you will have in the next few months will be due to teething. After all of the baby teeth fall out you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yep, chelsey did not have any tear stains until teething...
it 's the minerals in tap water that may contribute to the tear stains... not the bowl.
The pastic is what may change what they call the black pionts... nose, paws ,pigment to pink or at least that is what the breedet told us.

We do give chelsey omoses water and it has helped with the tear stains. I'm hoping that when all her baby teeth fall out. She will be back to no tear stains. she only has a few more teeth to go.

p.s.. keep an eye on the water bottle... that is the kind we had and it started to leak.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just use a ceramic dish with a lip on it so I have dry faces[/B]
JMM, could you please post a picture of this or a link to it? I can't envision what you mean.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Feb 2 2005, 09:03 AM
Mine are made by Bayou Ceramics. If you want the contact info, just pm or e-mail me and I'll give you the phone number.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32924
[/QUOTE]

I found the website, but didn't see any pet dishes.

http://www.bayouceramics.com

Lady's face is always SOAKED after she drinks and Itd love to find a dish that keeps her face dryer. Is the one you're talking about pictured on their website or what shall I ask for if I call them?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts