Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were in BAD need of a new system. Our former was an inexpensive HP from Walmart...which did the job for about 4 years. So it was worth the money. Unfortunately we were losing memory, freezing up, couldn't install larger programs, etc. So we bit the bullet and got a new one.
After MANY discussions with previous and current Dell owners, we opted to go through Dell. So far I am very pleased. I got an educational/teacher discount...quick shipping...excellent customer service...very easy set-up and installation...and tonight I had to call tech support as we were hooking it up for a quick question....and even tech support spoke english and was very helpful!

If you have had bad luck with Dell...don't jinx me with your bad experiences... :lol: So far we are happy. We bought WAY more computer than last time, even though it really wasn't budget friendly right now...but we decided more now was better than having to upgrade again in two or three years. Hopefully this will last us several. We got an extended warranty also, so that gives me more peace of mind.

Anyway, just wanted to share the joy...

The monitor and picture on this one is great and it is SO fast!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Congratulations! My oldest son has a Dell laptop he bought a few months ago. He loves it! We have an inexpensive Walmart E-machines we bought a couple of years ago. It has been good to us. Even though it has problems sometimes, I can restore it easily, so it's not so bad. This is our fouth computer. Our first was a Tandy, we bought back in the 80's when PCs had just come out. It was okay, but by today's standards it is an antique. Our second one was a VERY expensive Compaq. It was horrible. So bad we started calling it "Comcrap", lol. I know how exciting a new computer can be, and I'm very happy for you. Enjoy!
:D Fredda

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Congrats on your new computer! I know you'll love it!

I bought a top-of-the-line Dell with flat panel monitor in 1999 and I still am using it! I hate to get a new one because this one is just fine but it is Windows 98 so I feel old fashioned not having Windows XP. But the only thing I've had to do is replace the video card and I added some RAM a few years ago. It's been a great computer for almost 7 years!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Aug 5 2005, 05:54 AM
Congrats on your new computer! I know you'll love it!

I bought a top-of-the-line Dell with flat panel monitor in 1999 and I still am using it! I hate to get a new one because this one is just fine but it is Windows 98 so I feel old fashioned not having Windows XP. But the only thing I've had to do is replace the video card and I added some RAM a few years ago. It's been a great computer for almost 7 years!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87330
[/QUOTE]

Wow! I would love it if ours lasted seven years!!!!
Ours isn't the top of the line with everthing...but close to it. We could have spent a WHOLE lot more money, but ended up spending about triple what we had originally planned. I wanted a teacher/student Word program that was quite pricey so I could do Excel and Powerpoint at home for work. I also got the middle priced three year service pack. I didn't have that with our HP, and really didn't need it, but it is sure nice knowing we have it. It is also nice knowing how much memory and speed we have!
It is amazing that nothing has frozen up yet!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Congratulations on your new computer, I have a HP Paviion laptop which my hubby bought for me at Best Buy last year and I love it. It has a 17" wide screen and I can watch my Australian DVDs on it which is great. We are networking our two computers and that is a lot of fun because when we talk to our kids back in Australia we can both do it at the same time on line with our cams etc.
Hubby has a brand new computer that he bought from our local phone company and it is a really good one too but I have to say I love the laptop as it is much quicker.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Congrats on your new 'puter! We have SIX Dells in our house, 4 desktops and 2 laptops, ranging from 4 years to ~2 years old. My desktop is the oldest and aside from problems with programs screwing with the machine (deletion of the programs fixed the problem) and a possible need for a new keyboard, it's running great. My husband's desktop is the newer of our desktops and rarely gets used after I got him a laptop a couple of years ago for his birthday. My laptop is the newest and is a basic Inspiron 1100, but it works for me. My husband has an upgraded Inspiron 1100 which will most likely need the fan replaced shortly. My kids both got Dells about 3 yrs ago and my son has recently added a second HD, a new video card, and a new sound card and says that this should last him through most of college if not all the way through (he starts later this month).

Prior to our Dells we were purchasing Compaqs (before they were carried at WalMart), but after some major problems with system failures/major crashes on both their laptops and desktops we resolved to never buy a Compaq again!

Unless Dell's quality falters majorly, we'll be sticking with Dell for a long time!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Congrats on your new computer
We have a Dell and we love ours
When we decide to upgrade in a year or so we will be getting another Dell
This one is about two years old and has everything we need, but no flat panel monitor, so we will upgrade next year and put this one in my hubby's office (spare room) and he can keep using it as well as my granddaughter for her games etc. Glad you are enjoying your new Dell

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Congrats on your new putter!
I LOVE Dell,we have had 2 desktops and I have the Inspiron 5150 laptop for the shop.On my recomendtion my neighbors bought Dell also ,and they love it. I have never had any problems with the putters or the service over the years.All of our kids also have Dell!
A new putter is so exciting!!!!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!

Before our Dell (which I won't say anything about....I hope you have a long and wonderful relationship with yours!
) I had a top of the line HP (5 years ago) and I loved it. It was very good to me. Then I heard about Dell though a friend (said she loved hers) and I decided to get one...then because I got one, my brother got one. Lets just say we will never opt for a Dell again. But I'm sure your experience will be much better than ours

BTW- the HP I gave my friend is STILL running strong, of course I updated it before it went to her (it was running on ME now it's on XP), but she was living in the stone age without one, so now SHE'S updated. LOL

But I'm happy that you're happy with it. You will NOT have any problems....because I said so. :lol:

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 5 2005, 07:57 AM
Congrats!!!

Which one did you end up getting?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87338
[/QUOTE]

We ended up going ahead and getting the Dimension 9100. By the time I got done configuring the lower ends with what I wanted, it was cheaper to start with the higher model. I hope we end up being as pleased as everyone else is with theirs!

We got a free upgrade to a flat panel monitor which my skin kids think is cool!

We also got a printer that we don't need....
ha ha....

Thanks Lexi's mom for your help in deciding on things!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Princess'sMom@Aug 5 2005, 02:49 AM
Our second one was a VERY expensive Compaq. It was horrible. So bad we started calling it "Comcrap", lol.
:D  Fredda
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87323
[/QUOTE]
My first computer was a top of the line Compaq and it was a total nightmare in every way... horrible, horrible, horrible!!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Aug 5 2005, 09:37 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Princess'sMom
@Aug 5 2005, 02:49 AM
Our second one was a VERY expensive Compaq. It was horrible. So bad we started calling it "Comcrap", lol.
:D  Fredda
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87323
My first computer was a top of the line Compaq and it was a total nightmare in every way... horrible, horrible, horrible!!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87392
[/B][/QUOTE]
HAHA! My family's first computer was a Compax. What a piece of crap! It might have been the version of windows. It was that Windows 3.1 or whatever. The only way to delete a document was to go into DOS (which only my dad knew how to do). I think the hard drive was only 16MB (which is about the size of a couple of floppy disks!). Oh! We also had a compax printer. Also a piece of crap. It would take me like an hour to print a 1 page paper. The stupid printer would start to print (bring the paper in) and then it would shut itself off!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Aug 5 2005, 09:35 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Aug 5 2005, 07:57 AM
Congrats!!!

Which one did you end up getting?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87338
We ended up going ahead and getting the Dimension 9100. By the time I got done configuring the lower ends with what I wanted, it was cheaper to start with the higher model. I hope we end up being as pleased as everyone else is with theirs!

We got a free upgrade to a flat panel monitor which my skin kids think is cool!

We also got a printer that we don't need....
ha ha....

Thanks Lexi's mom for your help in deciding on things!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87391
[/B][/QUOTE]
Glad you like it!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I'll bet you'll love Dell! I've purchased 4 desktops and 2 laptops with no problems ever. In fact, when I go home today (I'm at the condo in Jackson) I have a brand new Dell waiting for me to set up. MK gets a laptop from the dental school, but she's going to use our old desktop with flat panel monitor for her emailing and working at home (its only 2 years old). SO I got a new one for me. I got that Dimension desktop that is brand new and ultra skinny. It isn't top of the line. I stopped doing that a few computers ago. I'd rather buy the moderately priced one and get a new one every few years.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Congrats its sooo fun getting a new computer. LOL

We have two Dell's. Our first one is nine years old ands till works good....It doesn't do DSL very well though. So we got a new one. But I still use the excell and word programs on it if hubby is on the "new" one. and My kids have tons of games on it and play it all the time. it is on all day everyday. HEHE

We got our "new" one about two years ago. and LOOOOOVE it.

We chose Dell because it is what my husbands bank uses and we can ordered thru them and get thier discount. Not that the discount makes them cheap or anything but hey every little bit helps. ANd if we use it as long as the other well its way worth it.

I want to get a Dell Laptop next. There is a business in town I am wanting to purchase when it goes for sale in a few years and will get the laptop for it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I own two Dells and I am sold on Dell, I have owned a HP an it was nothing but a night mare my daughter it has crashed on her to a few times. I don't think you can go wrong buying a Dell . Congrad. on your new computor you will enjoy it!
Teaco

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Congrats on your new computer!! I am personally a huge Mac fan (love my powerbook laptop) but if I was to buy a non-Mac, I would definitely go with Dell. Enjoy!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts