Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy was a welcomed addition to our home on 7-22. She is so darn cute. She is so tiny and delicate though. She make me crazy because i am constantly worried about her.

She is 1 pound 15 onces, She hardly eats!Is that normal? Ican't wait for her to get bigger. I wanted to get a bell or something for her to wear so people know where she is. Does anyone have suggestions abou something that is safe to use?

I also wanted to know is it normal for her to pee and then have a drop or 2 a few minutes later? We had a boy before and i don't remember if he did that.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
It is critical that she eats. Did the breeder tell you about hypoglycemia? How old is she?

Puppies in a new home often don't care to eat. What I suggest is to put her food out in the morning and if she doesn't eat after a couple hours I would hand feed it to her. I would do this mid-day and evening. Don't worry about making her a finicky eater later... she is a growing puppy and above all else she needs her nourishment.

Normally when a girl urinates, it all comes out at one time, just like with a male. The way you describe it it makes me think she may have a urinary tract infection, which is fairly common in puppies. I would mention this to your vet.

Oh, and congratulations on getting Daisy home!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
when u say she doesnt eat much what do u mean? does she not eat at all ? these guys are tiny and what they eat looks like a small amount and is a lot to them. she should be eating about 3 table spoons of food 3 times a day

congrats on ur baby!!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Congrats!! I know this has been a long journey for you guys and she's finally home!!!
Peanut was a pound at 12 weeks too, so we used a cat collar with the little bell.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by JAKIEP33@Jul 26 2005, 07:55 PM
Daisy was a welcomed addition to our home on 7-22. She is so darn cute.  She is so tiny and delicate though. She make me crazy because i am constantly worried about her.

She is 1 pound 15 onces, She hardly eats!Is that normal? Ican't  wait for her to get bigger. I wanted to get a bell or something for her to wear so people know where she is. Does anyone have suggestions abou something that is safe to use?

I also wanted to know is it normal for her to pee and then have a drop or 2 a few minutes later? We had a boy before and i don't remember if he did that.

thanks!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84812
[/QUOTE]
I got a small collar for Nikki from PetSmart. They now carry collars and harnesses for small toy puppies. I then got a small pet bell. I use it when there are other people around. I don't use the collar when with a leash. I have a harness I use with the leash.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Welcome Daisy. Is she sleeping well at night?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Congrats!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi! :D

Congratulations on your new baby! It is so exciting. I got my Princess on July 16. She is my first Maltese.

How old is your baby? My Princess is 2.6 lbs., a little bigger. She is 14 weeks old.
I can't imagine worrying about one smaller than her.

Please try to get her to eat. I got my Chihuahua, Bambi, last year when she was only 6 weeks. Now I know that was wayyy to young. She got hypoglocemic and almost didn't make it. She had to spend several nights in intensive care, but thank goodness she is fine now, 7 lbs and very playful.

If your new baby becomes at all listless you must rush her to the vet asap!
I don't mean to scare you, I just wish someone had informed me back then.

We too are new here. Everyone is so nice.

Princess, Bambi, and Buddy's Mom - Fredda

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Welcome home Daisy and welcome to sm!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awwww! I'm very happy for you and Daisy! CONGRADULATIONS! She's gonna get as big as Noriko. She's about 5 lbs. Daisy may be smaller. hehe

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks everyone! Daisy eats her food but just so little. She is very playful so I don't think she has low sugar.She seems veryhappy.
As for at night ,she is a fine at first but then wakes up and and cries and whines.This morning she whined for 30 minutes straight.She wants to play with us and we want to sleep.Does anyone hav sugestions about what to do?

thanks again!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by JAKIEP33@Jul 27 2005, 02:13 PM
thanks everyone! Daisy eats her food but just so little. She is very playful so I don't think she has low sugar.She seems veryhappy.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85083
[/QUOTE]
You can look at her gums to see if she has low sugar. If they are nice and pink then she is fine. If they are pale pink or white then she has low sugar and needs some Nutrical. If they don't get pink after the nutrical you should go to the vet.

As for at night ,she is a fine at first but then wakes up and and cries and whines.This morning she whined for 30 minutes straight.She wants to play with us and we want to sleep.Does anyone hav sugestions about what to do?

thanks again!
[/QUOTE]
You need to ignore the crying and whining (if the puppy doesn't have to go potty). If you play with her then she won't learn it is sleeping time. You can try putting something with your scent in with her. You can also try playing a lot right before bed so that she is really tired. I've also heard that you can get stuffed animals that play a heartbeat noise. That might help. You could try a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. Umm...I think that is all my suggestions.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Jul 27 2005, 03:18 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JAKIEP33
@Jul 27 2005, 02:13 PM
You can look at her gums to see if she has low sugar. If they are nice and pink then she is fine. If they are pale pink or white then she has low sugar and needs some Nutrical. If they don't get pink after the nutrical you should go to the vet.

thanks again!
[/QUOTE]
You need to ignore the crying and whining (if the puppy doesn't have to go potty). If you play with her then she won't learn it is sleeping time. You can try putting something with your scent in with her. You can also try playing a lot right before bed so that she is really tired. I've also heard that you can get stuffed animals that play a heartbeat noise. That might help. You could try a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. Umm...I think that is all my suggestions.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85085
[/B][/QUOTE]

I know this is baaaad but I used to bring K & C in to bed or sleep in a chair with them when they would bark or cry in the very early morning. It seems like it would be around 4 or 5 in the morning they would get restless. I would take them to potty and I would then sleep the rest of the night with them in my comfy bedroom chair or bring them to bed. Since I knew I eventually wanted them to sleep with me, it didn't cause any bad habits. I really loved having their little cute puppy breath on my neck .....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again!
Everyone hadsome great idea's that I think I will try.

I hope all is well with all the other little puppies...

Thanks again...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
At 4 years old a 4.5 pounds, Pico eats about 3 oz of food a day, exclusive of treats like a couple of cheerios or pupcorn.

So even older ones don't eat a lot, especially at the small end of the Maltese standard.

I know it is 3 oz because I home cook for him and weigh out 2 1/2 oz and add about an oz of kibble to his plate daily.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts