Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:smcry:Today has been one of those days that you wish would just get over as fast as it can, my husband and I went out for lunch when we got back to the RV Matilda meet us at the door, she has bouts with reverse sneezing from time to time, usually lasts a few seconds and goes away, well this time it just kept going on, she was having a hard time breathing:smcry:she was gasping for air and her nose seemed very stuffed, almost like a baby with a bad cold, she kept making noises like she was having a hard time breathing:smcry: I yelled for my husband and we grabbed B&B and took off for the vets, it took a good 5 minutes to get there, Matilda struggling to to catch her breath:smcry: as soon as the car stopped I rushed her into the vets, she was still having a a hard time catching her breath.:smcry:They told me I would have to wait a few minutes:w00t: I sat down and started crying:smcry: one of the vets came out and grabbed her from me and took her from me.:smcry:I was trying to control myself, my husband walked in and sat across from me on a bench with B&B:new_shocked:, I felt so alone:smcry:my precious baby is in the back with the vet and there I sat basically all by myself:blush: After what seemed like hours (but was only minutes) the vet came and got me, she was holding Matilda and Matilda was staring at me like mommy help me:smcry: the vet said she checked her gums and her breathing and felt like she had some kind of allegery, Matilda was breathing fine and looked fine, she gave me kisses and I started to cry, about that time my husband and B&B came back into the room, the vet said she felt Matilda would be fine and said she was giving me some Chlorpheniramine Maleate to use. through my tears I shared with the vet how much I love Matilda, I told her Matilda and I are one heart and I just couldn't bear losing her.:smcry: the vet told me she was ok and not to worry. I know Matilda is on loan from God and one day he will take her back, but that's much easier to say, my heart breaks at the thought of losing her. Please remember my precious baby in your prayers.
Have any of you ever used Chlorpheniranine Maleate? I'm scared to give it to her. She's breathing normally now and ate all her dinner. Should I wait and only give it to her when she has one of these attacks?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Oh so glad Matilda is okay. Well what did the vet say? Max has allergies to food so, did she get into something..? Sorry don't know about the meds sorry. I will keep her in my prayers and give her kisses from me and maxie.
Overview of the drug

>Histamine is a chemical that is released in the body in response to inflammation or allergy. This chemical travels throughout the body searching for specific histamine receptors (targets on cells). Once attached to the receptors, histamine will cause swelling, itchiness and otherassociated with an allergic response.
There are two types of histamine receptors: H1 and H2. H1 receptors affect small blood vessels and smooth muscles. When histamine attaches to the H1 receptors, the small blood vessels dilate and fluid begins to leak out. This results in tissue swelling and itchiness. In addition, the smooth muscles lining the small airways constrict, causing tightness and some breathing difficulty.

H2 receptors affect heart rate and stomach secretions. When histamine attaches to H2 receptors, the heart rate increases and stomach acid secretions are increased, potentially raising the risk of developing ulcers
Drugs that block the effects of histamine are called antihistamines. There are a number of drugs demonstrating antihistamine effects; some are useful in allergies, others for preventing excessive stomach acid. The effects of the antihistamine depend on whether it binds with the H1 receptors or H2 receptors. There are few drugs that affect both types of receptors.
Chlorpheniramine maleate is one type of antihistamine that inhibits the action of histamine, particularly its effect on H1 receptors. This results in a reduction or prevention of swelling and itchiness. Chlorpheniramine has little to no effect on heart rate or stomach acid secretions.
Chlorpheniramine is available over the counter but should only be given under the guidance of a veterinarian.
This drug is not approved for use in animals by the Food and Drug Administration but it is prescribed legally by veterinarians as an extra-label drug.

Precautions and Side Effects

While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, chlorpheniramine can cause side effects in some animals.
Chlorpheniramine should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
Animals with glaucoma,lung diseaseheart disease, high blood pressure and prostate gland enlargement should not use chlorpheniramine.
Chlorpheniramine may interact with medicationsConsult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with chlorpheniramine. Such drugs include barbiturates, tranquilizers and heparin.
The most common adverse effects of chlorpheniramine are sedation, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea and lack of appetite.

How Chlorpheniramine Is Supplied

Chlorpheniramine is available in 2 mg, 4 mg, 8 mg and 12 mg tablets.
Chlorpheniramine 2 mg/5 ml oral syrup is also available.
Chlorpheniramine 10 mg/ml and 100 mg/ml injectable form is also available.

Dosing Information

Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.
Chlorpheniramine is dosed for dogs at 4 to 8 mg (max 0.5 mg/kg) two times per day. For cats at 2 to 4 mg per cat once a day.
The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects. Be certain to complete the prescription unless specifically directed by your veterinarian. Even if your pet feels better, the entire treatment should be completed to prevent relapse

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, gosh, what a scare!!! I'm glad she is doing OK now!! Whew!! I'm sorry I have no info on that drug. Hopefully someone here is familiar with it. {{{HUGS}}}

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Firstly, I just like to say thank goodness she is just fine !
I know exactly how you feel when describing the love you have for your precious fluffs. They are angels on earth:wub: Whenever I need to bring Vanilla in to the vets...I cry. I do not know why. A month a go she had a simple ear infection and I cried..
My malt from time to time has the exact same symptoms you described and it then passes. IMO I'd delay giving her the meds....she may not need them.
I am so happy to hear she is well:thumbsup:
Jenna

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Oh Paula I'm sorry sorry Matilda was not feeling weel. I wish I had some advice about the meds but don't.:blink: I will be praying for your little baby girl. Make sure you give her a hug for me.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear that you had such a bad day. These little ones can scare us so with even when the littlest thing goes wrong. I am so happy that you were able to get her right to the vet and that she thinks that everything is ok with Matilda. My Bailey does this reverse sneezing as well and it scares me every time she has an episode. I will be sure to keep sweet Matilda in my thoughts and prayers as well as her Mommy :wub:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Paula - I'm so sorry. I was holding my breath reading your post. Thank goodness Matilda is okay. I have no idea about the meds but maybe you should call the vet and see when to give it to her...as a preventive or a rescue kind of drug. Any signs at all before you left the girls for lunch that there was any allergic thing going on? Anything new that they're eating or you're using in the RV - laundry detergent, cleansers, shampoo, foods, treats, shots? Try to be a detective and think of anything that could have triggered a reaction. In the meantime I'm sending prayers for Matilda and hoping this was a random reaction. :smootch:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
:grouphug:
What a scary experience...I'm so glad that Matilda is okay!! I was so relieved when I read that she will be fine...will definitely keep her in my thoughts!! Feel better soon, your little girl is going to be okay :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I'm so glad that Matilda is doing much better now, give her kisses from her Aunt Debbie! :smootch: Paula i have given mine the Chlor-Trimeton which is the same thing during allergy season, but it didn't help so now i give them Zyrtec. Chloe has done the same thing as Matilda and now we have it under control. Hang in there my friend Matilda is going to be fine. :hugging:

·
Super Moderator
10,176 Posts
Paula - how scary! I am so glad she will be OK. I used chlorpheniramine maleate this past summer with Sweetness because her allergies were out of control. It worked wonders for her. I stopped it after a few weeks and the sneezing and coughing came back so I left her on it until we had a hard freeze and then took her off for the winter.

I don't remember the dosage but can go find it if you need - all I know is it really worked well as a maintenance drug for her.

Give your babies a big hug and kiss from us!

Maggie

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Oh dear Paula! I'm so sorry you went through such a scary experience. But I'm glad that our Matilda is going to be fine and will keep her in my prayers. Aolani once had similar symptoms though they weren't as sudden as Matilda's, but his vet at the time gave him something called clavamoc which I gave him twice a day for 10 days and his weezing and stuffy nose went away. I hope and pray that Matilda is 100% better soon.

·
Registered
469 Posts
O Paula what a scare! I know how you feel; it's such a helpless feeling to be at the mercy of others to help our babies feel better. I will definately keep you and Matilda in my prayers. HUGS

·
Premium Member
16,777 Posts
So sorry to hear about your ordeal, Paula. I know how special Matilda is to you, and it must have been very scary. I'm sorry you felt so alone - you're not anymore, you've shared it with us and you know we love you.

·
Premium Member
17,468 Posts
Paula, I am so happy you came back to the RV at the exact time you did---amazing grace!:chili::chili::aktion033::aktion033:
Thank God she is okay. I know how scary an allergic reaction can be---been there, done that!
Maybe something new is blooming, dropping, etc. in your area? Allergies are so difficult to diagnose.
Sending up prayers for wisdom for you.
Love and peace to you.:wub:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
how scary ! i will def be praying for matilda ! as a sufferer of allergies i can only imagine how uncomfortable she was.. gv her a big kissy from me..

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Paula, I am so happy you came back to the RV at the exact time you did---amazing grace!:chili::chili::aktion033::aktion033:
Thank God she is okay. I know how scary an allergic reaction can be---been there, done that!
Maybe something new is blooming, dropping, etc. in your area? Allergies are so difficult to diagnose.
Sending up prayers for wisdom for you.
Love and peace to you.:wub:
Paula I agree with Sandi.... AMAZING GRACE that you came back to your RV when you did... BIG HUGS to you and your babies... :sLo_grouphug3:

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Oh I am so very sorry to read this about darling Matilda. But really happy to read that she is fine now - I can imagine how scared you were (hugs) ...praying that reverse sneezing doesn't happen that long anymore for her.

Hugs
Kat

P.s. I don't really like reverse sneezing to happen to the malts - Snowy tends to have it sometimes too. Always gets a tight hug from me afterwards.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts