Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this newly elected Pope brings us hope and continues to be an example for ALL religions!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:lol: I am excited! I am watching msnbc atm!
But I have to leave in about 20 mins..I Hope they show him now..they've only announced it yet

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He is super conservative..it should be interesting...

he is saying " I trust in your prayers..In the joy of the resurrected lord...trust in His path"

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quick question, cause I'm not Catholic and I don't understand.

Why do they change his name once he becomes Pope? And how do they choose the name Benedict XVI, versus John Paul III?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
christina - the changing of the name is a symbolic thing i think.. not sure. i should know this, i'm getting confirmed this sunday

and he's pope benedict the 16th or w/e cuz he's the 16th guy to choose that name as his pope name

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
aw i miss john paul

anyways, it's cool there's a new pope.. should be interesting to see how he picks up where jp2 left off.

triste, jw, are you catholic? i am

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by puppylucy@Apr 19 2005, 05:44 PM
christina - the changing of the name is a symbolic thing i think.. not sure. i should know this, i'm getting confirmed this sunday 

and he's pope benedict the 16th or w/e cuz he's the 16th guy to choose that name as his pope name
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54285
[/QUOTE]

Traditionally a new Pope chooses his name .... from someone who he greatly admired(another Pope that is) and wants to follow their footsteps(perhaps). Benedict means "blessing".. and yes he is the 16th to choose this name.

Yes I am Catholic
but I respect all religions
it's all cool.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Oh my gosh! My bf told me they were betting in Vegas to see who will be the next Pope!
WTH!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I really like Ratzinger. He was John Paul II's chief advisor. I was hoping it would be him...Yes-he is super conservative...and so am I. LOL.

May Pope Benedict XVI carry on all the good work that his pedecessor did.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Being an Italian-American and a Slavik-American, I was hoping for a Pope from either of those regions. I am happy we have a Pope, but I am concerned with his age...he is 78.

As for the Pope's name, it is up to each Pope to select their name. They can keep their own name if they like, but tradition holds that they select a name. And they don't have to select a name used by another Pope....Pope John Paul I, for instance.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Angus@Apr 19 2005, 10:47 AM
And just out of curiosity, how did you choose "Triste" as your screen name?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54138
[/QUOTE]

Triste is Spanish for sad....I suffer(I guess that is the correct word) from depression and lost my mom from the same problem. Sooooo...there it is.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
triste (trēst)
adj.
Sad; wistful.

[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin tristis.]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2004, 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Apr 20 2005, 06:54 AM
I am happy we have a Pope, but I am concerned with his age...he is 78. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54372
[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about that I mean I know a lot of people can live very good lives into there 80's now but it just seems like they might want to get someone younger after all the talk about John Paul II needing to step down becuase of his age.

That whole thing about him being part of Hitlers Youth (not that he had an option or anything) is a little weird but from what I found it seems like being part of that made him relize how important it is to be open to other religons so in that aspect he will proubly keeping going in the direction John Paul II did with being more excepting to non catholics. I am just a little worried that this is going to look bad for the catholic church I mean with all the stuff they have had thrown at them over the last few years I can only imagin this is going to cause some people to be upset.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts