Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

We have a new Pope

2K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  saltymalty 
Being an Italian-American and a Slavik-American, I was hoping for a Pope from either of those regions. I am happy we have a Pope, but I am concerned with his age...he is 78.

As for the Pope's name, it is up to each Pope to select their name. They can keep their own name if they like, but tradition holds that they select a name. And they don't have to select a name used by another Pope....Pope John Paul I, for instance.

Lilly, I read about his past today. I am disturbed by that aspect of his background. I guess I would really have preferred someone with a less controversial history. While I cannot begin to understand what it must have been like in nazi Germany, I have to believe that German citizens were able to make choices. I find this a stark contrast to Pope John Paul II who helped the young Jewish girl escape the nazis in Poland. I really need to do some further research on the new Pope. I do think he has incredible shoes to fill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.