Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We just moved into a much larger condo a few days ago and Audrey seems to have gone from being 99.9% potty trained to pooing on the floor twice in the last two days.

I just don't know what to do about it. Also we started several weeks ago to take her out to poo (she won't go wee wees outside) and I am wondering if she now thinks it's ok to go wherever she wants.
She still goes wee wees on the pad (touch wood) but I don't know what to do about the poo - this place is so much bigger it's tough to keep an eye on her all the time like I did when she was a baby.

She actually seems a lot more chilled out about the move than I am - but then she doesn't have to argue with contractors every day!

I think it may just be the combination of a new home and her new preference for outdoor pooing, but how do I get her back to using the pad - she used to be so good!
Do I need to start again with potty training from scratch?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think it would be wise to confine her to a smaller space and not let her have the run of the new Condo until she gets back to using her wee pads. Sisse started using the wee pads indoors and we moved them closer and closer to the door. Then we left the door open with the wee pad outside on the porch. She finally put 2 and 2 together and now we have the doggie door and she goes out all the time. She will NOT, however, go on the ground!! It has to be on the wee pad. That's her choice and it's fine with us. Congratulations on the new Condo!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut did the same thing when we moved. I just assumed he was forgetting where the pad was in the new house, and within a week things were better, but not perfect. I recommend keeping her in a sectioned off area just until she gets the hang of things again. I would try what Sissesmomma said and put the pad near the door for her so since she can't go out herself, she will see the pad there. I don't think you have to start completely from scratch, but using treats to reinforce using the pads couldn't hurt. Good luck and congrats on your new condo!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It is very common for them to regress after a move or other stressful event. Go back to the basics of housetraining for a few weeks. The schedule will also help her feel more secure about the move. If you aren't actively watching her, confine her!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas, it's reassuring to know that this is somewhat normal. This new place has to many nooks and crannies for her to disappear off into - maybe I'll keep her on the leash with me inside so I can keep a better eye on her.
She's a very good girl and we are lucky with her, it's just so frustrating when you think she really has it and then you have a back step.
Thanks again though, lets see how she's getting on in a week.
Vikki

1 - 5 of 5 Posts