Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so we're having Bella's first birthday party tomorrow ( i am officially one of those crazy dog people I use to make fun of). So today was going to be our "get pretty" day.
Well we were fine until it was time to brush teeth. She flat out refuses to let me brush her teeth. She will let me do anything to her but she absolutely refuses to let me do her teeth. She has a tiny little head and a short little nose so there is nothing to hold on to to keep her from turning away from me. She turned into six pounds of pure stubborn so I just gave up. I even tried freezing the toothbrush and she just licked it like a popsicle til it was all gone. I know she was thinking " ha! ha! I'll show you".Sometimes she' just too smart for her own good. So now I smell like beef toothpaste and my freshly bathed dog smells like beef toothpaste. I guess tomorrow we'll light some beef smelling candles and put on our party hats.
With all that said how in the world am I gonna clean this baby's teeth?

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Here's what I'm doing...I've been putting a small amount of toothpaste on my finger and letting Paris lick it off. Probably been doing this about a month or so. Just the past few days I have been sticking my finger (with the toothpaste on it) in her mouth and rubbing all of her teeth. I really thought we would have a battle with that but she doesn't mind it at all. I will continue to do this few a few weeks and then try a toothbrush. So far so good...

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i make my sister, cynthia, hold sprite (cuz ellie LOVES it) and sprite will wiggle and twist her head around----but i just hold her head against my sister and do one side at a time. LOL. and its not all about brushing---its more about getting the toothpaste on her teeth. so try one of those rubber finger brushes, and just get it in her mouth and on her teeth.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
This is what I did to teach them its ok for me to touch there mouth.
Hold puppy right under the chin with your index finger and thumb, you do this by holding a little bit if the hair under the chin closer to the mouth then the neck.
Then look in puppies’ eyes, say “good or girl good boy”, “Stay”. Then give a treat.
You have to keep repeating this action like when bathing or grooming.

Step 2) While in that position place your index finger sideway along the lips/ teeth. Then puppy will open his / her mouth. Say open. When they open Say “good , girl’ “good boy” , then Treat. Keep doing this for a week everyday, you will have no problem with step 3

Step 3) Get the tooth brush and put the tooth paste allow them to investigate.
Then use the tooth brush and say open. Puppy will gladly open there mouth for the nice taste of beef or chicken tooth brush and allow you to brush their teeth.
You will also have an easy time given medicine when required.
I just say open and place my finger in their mouth.

NOW, I would not do this with a puppy that is still nipping. You have to teach them not to nip first. I know this will not help you for tomorrow, but puppy will be a pro for next year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
O you could do what I do at my grooming shop. Spray Oxyfresh in her mouth and after a while the tartar scrapes of with kibble or you could buy a scaler for a couple of dollars and scale it off same day. The Oxy makes it come of pretty darn nice. Then just maintain by spraying on teeth. Bad breath is neutralized on contact.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Originally posted by ABgroomer@Jun 25 2005, 06:44 PM
O you could do what I do at my grooming shop. Spray Oxyfresh in her mouth and after a while the tartar scrapes of with kibble or you could buy a scaler for a couple of dollars and scale it off same day. The Oxy makes it come of pretty darn nice. Then just maintain by spraying on teeth. Bad breath is neutralized on contact.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75127
[/QUOTE]

I just looked at the website for Oxyfresh and I am impressed with the different products. I have never heard of this stuff before. There are several different products to choose from. Which one do you use to spray in the dogs mouth? I will definitely be buying some of the oxyfresh products. Thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I know my vet has something that you rub on the teeth. I am going to check into it. From what I understand you use it once a week and it is suppose to protect teeth from tarter buildup. I think first though you have to have a dog that doesn't have tarter buildup or use after the vet cleans the teeth. Lacey was at the vets about a month ago for her yearly checkup and the vet was very impressed with her teeth. She asked me what I use and I told her Lacey always has a Booda bone available to chew on. I get them at Petsmart or Petco. A little expensive but I figure better than having the vet have to clean her teeth. Lacey is what you would call an aggressive chewer...she can go through 3 of the large size Booda bones in a week. The large ones are for dogs that weigh between 44-85 pounds. She just loves the Fresh N Brite ones.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Laceys mom@Jul 4 2005, 11:54 AM
I know my vet has something that you rub on the teeth.  I am going to check into it.  From what I understand you use it once a week and it is suppose to protect teeth from tarter buildup.  I think first though you have to have a dog that doesn't have tarter buildup or use after the vet cleans the teeth.  Lacey was at the vets about a month ago for her yearly checkup and the vet was very impressed with her teeth.  She asked me what I use and I told her Lacey always has a Booda bone available to chew on.  I get them at Petsmart or Petco.  A little expensive but I figure better than having the vet have to clean her teeth.  Lacey is what you would call an aggressive chewer...she can go through 3 of the large size Booda bones in a week.  The large ones are for dogs that weigh between 44-85 pounds.  She just loves the Fresh N Brite ones.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77848
[/QUOTE]

I've seen the booda bones before but I've never paid too much attention to them. This would be great for us because I've had so much trouble finding something for Bella to chew on. She's somewhat of an aggressive chewer also. You say Lacey goes through several a week, so is this something they actually eat or does it just get worn and needs a new one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts