Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That's why we clean up all the doggie poo,scoop it up as soon as they drop it.. When we had Harry kitty ,we never left food out for him, we kept it in the house and waited until he came a meowing at the door to be fed,once he finished,it went right back in the garage.. we never left any food outside...

·
Registered
367 Posts
That's why we clean up all the doggie poo,scoop it up as soon as they drop it.. When we had Harry kitty ,we never left food out for him, we kept it in the house and waited until he came a meowing at the door to be fed,once he finished,it went right back in the garage.. we never left any food outside...
Those are very wise things to do.

I've seen some stupid people doing some really stupid things in my area. I've seen one person leaving handful of kitty kibble for her favorite stray cat everyday (I couldn't justify scolding her because she's basically the same age as my mother). I've seen pieces of doggie kibble on the sidewalk (from someone's overflowing treats). All these things attract numerous predator and prey animals.

I don't know about your environment Michelle, but predators like coyotes are not fond of open spaces. They like to hide in tall grass and they often snack on small animals (mice, rats, birds, etc) while searching for larger prey.
Even if you use an outside kennel, a hungry coyote will dig and pull your poor pup through the cage. Granted, you may have time to do something but chances are very slim (coyotes often attack silently when humans aren't around or aren't paying attention).

The only real solution is either relocate those coyotes (they can migrate for several miles) or exterminate them. Once they have an established food source, they will not leave that area. Its sad, but they're intelligent, opportunistic animals.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts