Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was wonderful. Bath time is never a good time in this house, plus Tuck was really matted because he slept in one of his t-shirts.
I followed the directions, massaged the oil into his fur, rinsed, washed, condition, and when it was time to blow dry the comb just slipped through his fur. (Not the mats, those took some work)
It is always a fight to comb his fur and then blow-dry. He tries to bite the comb, well he didn't bite until it was time to blow-dry, which is a very big improvement in my book.

Here's a after picture:
[attachment=1194:attachment]

P.S.
Look how cute his nose is!

[attachment=1193:attachment]

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
I did the VO5 on Deni yesterday. I got the same results as you did! No huge mats to fight with today!! YAY!!
I'm hoping that this will be a lasting thing. It only took me about 10 minutes to comb and brush her out today compared to the 30-45 minutes it has been taking daily for the past few weeks! I'm going to try to do this once a month and see how it goes since, as I had said in the original post, that it was recommended to be done no more than once a month.

·
Registered
277 Posts
<span style="font-family:Times New Roman">sounds great. I think I will try that with Peaches next time I give her a bath
</span>

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the VO5 on Deni yesterday. I got the same results as you did! No huge mats to fight with today!! YAY!!
I'm hoping that this will be a lasting thing. It only took me about 10 minutes to comb and brush her out today compared to the 30-45 minutes it has been taking daily for the past few weeks! I'm going to try to do this once a month and see how it goes since, as I had said in the original post, that it was recommended to be done no more than once a month.[/B]

Isn't she super soft too? I don't think Tuck's coat has ever been this soft before.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Isn't she super soft too? I don't think Tuck's coat has ever been this soft before.
[/B]
Oh yes, she is!! The good thing is although she's soft (and silky feeling) the hairs aren't flyaways. This is especially great since the wind here has kicked up and I think if I hadn't done the VO5 that she would have all sorts of tangles and eventually matts everywhere!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Great pics! He is adorable!

G

·
Your pics are gorgeous!!! He is such a little doll!
Are you talking about the little tubes of hot oil treatment? If so, how long did you leave it in?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree..some beautiful malt hair seen here..just concerned a bit. What does your vet say about using human products on your malts? I am just a bit leary even though it sounds very enticing to me.

I agree..some beautiful malt hair seen here..just concerned a bit. What does your vet say about using human products on your malts? I am just a bit leary even though it sounds very enticing to me.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Is it the V05 shampoo or conditioner? I would love to try this on my little bath-phobia "kids"! =][/B]

V05 is a hot oil treatment. I wouldn't use it on cottony hair or hair that is not matted. I read a groomer wrote not to make it too hot for the dog and don't use unless hair is brittle or rough or full of mats.

http://www.vo5.com/products/oil.asp

I just got Infusium leave in conditioner for humans. You are supposed to dilute it with half water and it's supposed to be good for the hair. Many groomers use it, as well as people who take their dogs out to show.
You can find it at the supermarket, that is where I got mine. I haven't tried it, yet.

http://www.infusium.com/our_collections/mo...ng/leave_in.jsp

How is Balls tummy doing?

p.s. -- as far as asking a vet. I doubt they know that much, it's like asking your general practiioner about shampoo. Unless you go to a doggy dermatologist (they do exist) I wouldn't even bother asking a vet, a groomer, maybe...not a vet.

·
Registered
493 Posts
V05 is a hot oil treatment. I wouldn't use it on cottony hair or hair that is not matted. I read a groomer wrote not to make it too hot for the dog and don't use unless hair is brittle or rough or full of mats.

I just got Infusium leave in conditioner for humans. You are supposed to dilute it with half water and it's supposed to be good for the hair. Many groomers use it, as well as people who take their dogs out to show.
You can find it at the supermarket, that is where I got mine. I haven't tried it, yet.

http://www.infusium.com/our_collections/mo...ng/leave_in.jsp

How is Balls tummy doing?

p.s. -- as far as asking a vet. I doubt they know that much, it's like asking your general practiioner about shampoo. Unless you go to a doggy dermatologist (they do exist) I wouldn't even bother asking a vet, a groomer, maybe...not a vet.
[/B]
Thanks for letting me know! I will definitely get some just to have it on hand when needed. Sometimes I forget to brush them, and I get a few matted areas here and there. I'vd also gotten some really bad mats when hey wear really tight sweaters or clothes. I usually just have to cut it ALL off!

Thanks for asking about Balls! He was doing fine after I gave him Mylacon for infants. I gave it to him for 3 days straight, and the problem went away. After that, it came back! I've been trying to get Chicken Soup for the Pet lover's Soul or something, but the store is closed every time I decide to go. LoL. I switched them to Science Diet and no problems what so ever! I am never buying those brands from Wal-mart every again! I am so quiting Purina and Pedigree! =/ They seem to love eating it, but I heard most foods that are good for them are also not the healthest. That's why they go poop more because of all the excess junk. =/ What are you little ones on?

I know what you mean with the vets! They have a get rich feeding people lies plan going on everywhere! That upsets me! =/ Ok, we are so off topic! LoL.

·
Registered
802 Posts
So glad to hear Balls is doing better. I would imagine the gas would come back, it's probably something that is giving him gas. I read yogurt is wonderful for sensitive tummies.

I got Max on Cesar's (all by product) and Eukenuba. I took him off the Cesars and since I got a 20lb bag of Euk I am just mixing it with half Nutro Ultra holistic, and no moist...except some human food here and there.
He eats whatever I give him, not picky thankfully. I am going to switch to Innova, once I am finished with this food.

So far, he is active and growing steadily, so I think the nutrition is ok. I haven't been feeding the one egg a week like I should...because I forget. It's supposed to be really good for their coats.

I comb him everyday, this only takes a couple of minutes since he has cotton coat...no mats so far.

He learned how to sit in one session using real cooked liver. Haven't tried teaching anything else, yet.

Glad to hear Balls is doing well. You're a good mommy!!

·
Registered
195 Posts

You can find it at the supermarket, that is where I got mine. I haven't tried it, yet.[/B]
Cottony hair is the reason I tried the VO5, it's really done wonders for Deni, so far still only very minor tangles and zero matting and her bath was late last week. The VO5 is on for less than a minute and is only heated in a cup of hot tap water so it doesn't get very hot at all. I'll have to see what she's like next month, but IMO it's does a great job. I'll also have to wait and see how her adult coat comes in to determine how long I'll keep doing the oil treatments, but as long as her coat is like it is now I'll probably keep using it once a month.

I used to use Infusium on my own hair and didn't really care for it. I like the fact that the VO5 is washed out quickly, but lubricates the hairs just enough to keep it manageable. Besides, I use a conditioning spray for brushing/combing (Pet Silk Leave-in Spray Conditioner or The Stuff) but either of those alone just weren't doing the job. The sprays plus the VO5 seems to be the right combo for us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts