Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
They took out our old unit yesterday and placed the new one...they are coming this morning sometime to hook it up.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
13,268 Posts
Originally posted by scottchelf@Nov 18 2005, 11:48 AM
Hey Traci- you can buy this stuff from Lowe's for about $2.99 you put just an ounce of it per 5 gallons in your kerosene, and it masks the odor, and produces whatever flavor choose...apple, cinnamon, CHEERIOS!! YAY, J/K, lemon, cherry, or strawberry.. All the flavors stunk I thought except for the cinnamon

BUT, you have to be VERY cautious with it... it is poisonous if swallowed, and it warns that it can cause blindness/death if consumed.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120862
[/QUOTE]

Scott, I have a question here, when we were kids we had one of those kerosene heaters and they do smell terrible, well they did back then, but we had to have a window open a little to allow some fresh air to circulate the room or the fumes could actually make you very ill. I would say masking the fumes could be the answer but you would still need fresh air so tthat you didn't get sick. I know that these appliences have probably come a long way since I was a kid, Just curious that's all because here if you had a window open just a smidgin in the winter you would freeze.
Another thing that my mum did was to place a glass of water on top of the heater to absorb some of the smell, I often wondered though if it actually worked because I could still smell it, but it was lovely and toasty in the room with it going.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo+Nov 19 2005, 10:19 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-scottchelf
@Nov 18 2005, 11:48 AM
Hey Traci- you can buy this stuff from Lowe's for about $2.99 you put just an ounce of it per 5 gallons in your kerosene, and it masks the odor, and produces whatever flavor choose...apple, cinnamon, CHEERIOS!! YAY, J/K, lemon, cherry, or strawberry.. All the flavors stunk I thought except for the cinnamon

BUT, you have to be VERY cautious with it... it is poisonous if swallowed, and it warns that it can cause blindness/death if consumed.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120862
Scott, I have a question here, when we were kids we had one of those kerosene heaters and they do smell terrible, well they did back then, but we had to have a window open a little to allow some fresh air to circulate the room or the fumes could actually make you very ill. I would say masking the fumes could be the answer but you would still need fresh air so tthat you didn't get sick. I know that these appliences have probably come a long way since I was a kid, Just curious that's all because here if you had a window open just a smidgin in the winter you would freeze.
Another thing that my mum did was to place a glass of water on top of the heater to absorb some of the smell, I often wondered though if it actually worked because I could still smell it, but it was lovely and toasty in the room with it going.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121162
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, you still have to allow some for some ventilation or else you will have fumes to get in and remain in your house, and that can cause Carbon Monoxide (a tasteless, odorless, invisible gas that is lethal) to build up in your house. The purpose of the additive is not a replacement for ventilation- it just kills the kerosene odor. And, if you are like me, you spray air freshner daily, sometime twice, but this Cinnamon stuff is AWESOME..... cheap for no more than you have to use
 
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top