Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to stop eating sugar and grains. I had told myself that i was going to start this on Sunday. I ate scrambled eggs and turkey sausage links and for my first break i had bought some mixed nuts and ate some of those. I started to get very shakey and felt like i was going to pass out. I was feeling like a drug addict going through withdrawal. This was all happening at work. I bought some m&m's to help with the shaking and it seemed to help some. I have decided i will start this on Friday when i'm off of work. My question is, is there any easier way to stop with the sugar and grains without going through the extreme withdrawal? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Debbie, I can only tell you how it worked for me. I was not a big sweet eater, but I did eat a ton of things that contain natural sugars (potatoes, tomatoes, corn, bread, pasta, etc.)

At about day 3 through 10 I did get the shakes after removing everything from my diet. And I mean everything that contained sugar. I am hypoglycemic, so the shaking (which was mild) had me worried. But, after that, I started to feel great.

What I found though was that unlike before, I was now eating all of the time. And I mean, I felt like that's all I did was eat!! A bowl of broccoli with cheese here, a bowl of strawberries with Redi-Whip, a bowl of broccoli slaw, a bowl of green beans, a bowl of ... you get the idea. (If you would like to know my fav recipes just PM me).

Your body will get used to it, trust me. As a person that lived on potatoes, corn, tomatoes and bread for many years! .. I did it!! And ... I lowered all of my cholesterol numbers so that I don't have to use meds to lower those ... and I lost 20 pounds and now weigh what I did when I graduated high school (27+ years ago.)

To me, it was one of the easiest lifestyle changes I have EVER made! Now, if I could just stop smoking, I'd have all of my vices licked! Just wish the smoking one was as easy as the sugar one!

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Eat real food. Eat greens, veggies, and protein. And most importantly, make sure you eat fat. If you don't eat fat, you will not feel satiated. Eat butter, olive oil, and coconut oil with your foods. Cheese and heavy cream in moderation are good, too, if you can tolerate dairy. Hardboiled eggs are also good.

Unfortunately, sugar is just as addicting as cocaine. In a few days, you will feel awesome! I and many others have been down that road and we made it. You can do it!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Debbie, I thought I'd throw out a recipe for you while I have a minute. I absolutely love loaded baked potatoes, but that is a no-no! I absolutely hate cauliflower, but that is a yes-yes. :thumbsup:

So, here's a recipe that is the best of both worlds. No potatoes means no sugar going into my system ... eating the cauliflower means more veggies going into my system.

JUST LIKE STUFFED BAKED POTATOES

(recipe adjusted a tad by me)

16 ounce package frozen cauliflower
8 ounce cream cheese, softened
8 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded
4 green onions, chopped

(or a good sized handful of finely diced red onion - my preference)
1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 pieces bacon, chopped and fried until crisp

(I use about 1/3 - 1/2 pkg. Hormel Crumbled Bacon instead)

Paprika, optional

Cook the cauliflower until soft, about 8-15 minutes; drain very well and break up the florets a bit with a spoon (I use a manual potato masher.) It's okay if you leave the cauliflower a little chunky. Put in a greased 8 x 8" baking pan or a 2-quart casserole. Mix in the cream cheese, cheddar, onion, salt, pepper and bacon. Dust the top with paprika, if desired. Bake at 350º for around 40 minutes, until browned and bubbly.

Or, microwave, loosely covered, for about 40 minutes on 50% power, turning the dish after 20 minutes.

Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 324 Calories; 27g Fat; 15g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

Taken from :
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Suzan, what's your user name there ... I'll use you as the one who referred me!

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
You need some protein in your diet--nuts, nut butters, greek yogurt, eggs, various beans, smoothies w/ protein powder are great too. Protein, and healthy fat as the others mentioned will keep you satisfied.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Suzan! :)

BTW, there is a group there that discusses our pets. Join the group if you become a forum member. It's under "community"
Will do!!! :thumbsup:

HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Suzan and Jules for the wonderful suggestions, links and recipe. :) I'm going to start on Friday my day off. I'm very determined to kick this sugar and grain addiction.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
This thread is somewhat "old", but I think it's awesome you're kicking sugars to the curb! How's it going so far, Debbie? I know it's tough, but I hope you're hanging in there! :chili:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have not been on the Forum for a long time--but this morning decided to check things out! Wow! was I glad that I did when I found this post. My new internist believes in this kind of lifestyle. he wanted me on this for health reason --allergies, etc. Since I have some allergy problems, I am on a no dairy, grain diet--lots of veggies, fruit, nuts, nut butter, meats--anyway--I did not get the shakes, BUT, I CRAVED bread--and ICE CREAM- and DAIRY- that was the hardest part for me. I have been eating like this for a couple of months now and have loss 7 pounds and I eat ALL day long!!!! My cravings are gone--I have energy also. I really miss my yogurt--but my breathing seems a lot better-so maybe dairy was affecting me. I envy my Freddie is spoonful each day!! I also am back to a daily walk and tons of yard work--because I now have energy!! Thanks for the fabulous links!! Hang in there, MySugarBears--you will feel soooo much bettter in a short time.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you ladies for your support. I had a dr. appointment today and talked to him about wanting to stop eating sugars and grains and he suggested that i fast for a day. I'll eat dinner tonight and then i won't eat anything for 24 hours. My first meal after the fast will be a nice healthy non processed food dinner. Thank goodness my husband and son work tomorrow because i'm probably going to be one unhappy grouchy person. Lol.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I can't eat dairy either. Some of the new coconut milk products, like the yogurt and the milk in cartons in the dairy section are pretty good. Coconut milk and almond milk are great substitutes for dairy.

I do Intermittent Fasting a lot. It really helps break cravings. I hesitate to recommend it, though, because some people don't have great reactions to it. I'm the opposite, I feel great when I IF.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts