Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
parker always has his collar on...he is microchipped also. he has a bandanna attatched to it. he doesnt mind it at all.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Puddles wears his collar all the time.

For the first few days he tried to remove it, now he don't even act as if its there.

Takes to long to put it on him when hes got to go, cause he gets so excited.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley doesn't wear a collar.
Only a harness when he goes out.
Since he potties inside, this is not such a big deal.
I am trying to look for an EASIER harness. I have you some talk on here about a "step-in" harness. That sounds SO handy, but I can't find one locally.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Sampson and Maggie wear theirs 24/7, Maggie used to chew on hers and even once got it caught in her mouth and couldnt get it out, I had to cut it off, now we only get the ones with the plastic quick release

·
Registered
939 Posts
No colar for Tiki either... I put a harness on him to take him outside. A colar can cause matts arond the neck and I have always been afraid he would catch it on something and get hurt or die.

Judi

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I used to use a harness but Lexi would pull when we went for walks. I decided to give a collar a try. She does not pull anywhere near as much. I still use a harness if I am tying her up to the tree when we are outside (she sometimes forgets she is tied up).

I never leave the harness or collar on when we are inside. Lexi used to chew on them. She would work her lower jaw underneath the neck part. I also use the nylon type ones with the plastic release. They are so much easier for me to get on and off.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I stopped using any kind of collar on Pico when I heard about how soft their tracheas are and how easily than can be collapsed. He, too, is a nudist and I only put the harness on when I put him in his car seat. I clip it to the strap on the seat belt so he won't fly around if I stop suddenly or get into an accident.

I use it when I am putzing around outside and want him to enjoy the yard and put a 30 foot soft lead on the harness. He seems to feel very inhibited with that lead on it even though it is not tied off to anything and he doesn't wander the way he does without the lead dragging behind him. If he does get too close to the curb or starts to wander off or even run, in just a couple of steps I can step on the loose end of the lead and stop him, then pick it up and coax him back into my area again.

Tugging on the harness only puts pressure on the chest area whereas the collar puts pressure on the trachea. I worry enough about him without adding to the risks with a collar :wacko:

·
Registered
831 Posts
since we have a roommate now i put their collars on just incase they run out the door or something like that when we are not there, so they have some id on them. also when my mom babysit I put their collar on, just to be on the safe side.
when I'm home with them they dont wear it.

For walks they wear their harness

I usually cut their hair around the neck shorter so it doesnt get matted, you can hardly tell that the hair is short in that area the rest of the hari covers it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts