Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG! I took Lexi PetSmart on Saturday. She is up to 8.6lbs!!! She was 7.4lbs in Nov/Dec when I weighed her. I think it is because she hasn't been as active this winter as she was during the winter.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Does she seem overweight? Can you feel her ribs? She just turned year - maybe she just has a bit more growing to do?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by LadysMom@Feb 14 2005, 11:15 AM
Does she seem overweight? Can you feel her ribs? She just turned year - maybe she just has a bit more growing to do?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35289
[/QUOTE]

She doesn't seem overweight yet. I think you can still feel her ribs. I did notice that she seems to have a little thicker layer of fat. I'm going to keep an eye on her and weigh her again next month.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
and i didnt think maltese can get over weight...
I am sooo sheltered cause of kodie being soo tiny.
I am very uneducated. What will i do if i get another maltese thats bigger?!?!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
We can all work off this winter weight together!! :D Peanut gained a little weight too, not enough outside play time in the New England winters! He's still just a 5.7 pound fluffer though.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I am embarrassed to say that Sisse is 3.7 lbs and is just 12 weeks old!!
she is OBVIOUSLY not going to be "standard", well we are not going to worry about that!! She is healthy, happy and all ours!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Feb 14 2005, 02:24 PM
and i didnt think maltese can get over weight...
  I am sooo sheltered cause of kodie being soo tiny.
  I am very uneducated.  What will i do if i get another maltese thats bigger?!?!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35324
[/QUOTE]

Maltese, just like any other breed can be overweight. And just like with people, obesity has health risks.

One of these is diabetes. My Lady, who has mantained her ideal weight of about 9 pounds for years now, got up to 11&1/2 pounds after I adopted her! This (and genetics) definately contributed to her diabetes.

Not all Maltese will fall into the 4-7 pound standard. That's why it's important for your vet to tell you whether or not your Malt is just big or really overweight.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 14 2005, 01:41 PM

she is OBVIOUSLY not going to be "standard", well we are not going to worry about that!!  She is healthy, happy and all ours!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35331
[/QUOTE]

HEHE, Cloud was about that weight at 9 wks! HAHAHA And not only that, we think that he gained 2 more lbs...13 lbs total! I hope it's because they've been inactive too! The scale at my parents' house is, blah, so it's not too accurate.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie doesnt seem to gain ANY weight... hes been 3.3lbs and recently 3.2lbs... hes going down in weight not above
Maybe this has to do with his MVD... i've read that somewhere.

Kodie isnt a great eater either...
What do you feed Lexi?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Hmm.. it seems that Tuffy has lost weight! He doesn't seem any thinner.. maybe it was the haircut that put him under his usual weight.

Kodie - My sister has a little Maltese too.. he's just about 4lbs and he is pretty much full grown and he doesn't seem to ever gain weight either. But from what I've heard, it's better for them to be on the slim side than on the fat side, especially when they are smaller guys since being overweight can be rough on their joints.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i wanted parker to gain some weight..but he ended up loosing..he was 6.2 now he is 6lbs...the vet said his weight is fine though. i guess im just used to more over weight dogs.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 14 2005, 02:41 PM

she is OBVIOUSLY not going to be "standard", well we are not going to worry about that!!  She is healthy, happy and all ours!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35331
[/QUOTE]
Sounds like Sisse is gonna be sunny's size lol he was around 4lbs at 12 weeks i think

Sunny is 10lbs now but i dont think he is a 10 pound maltese...yet, i think he is jsut getting chubby lol

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Feb 14 2005, 12:21 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Feb 14 2005, 11:15 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35289
She doesn't seem overweight yet. I think you can still feel her ribs. I did notice that she seems to have a little thicker layer of fat. I'm going to keep an eye on her and weigh her again next month.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35292
[/B][/QUOTE]

If you can feel a layer of fat on top of her ribs, I believe this means she is overweight.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey too gained some weight this winter. No walks in the park. Been too cold here in Ohio and even when we have a warm day, had some high 50's, it is just so muddy. Lacey went to the vet and she has to lose about one pound, vet said. Poor little girl, no more tidbits of people food. She was mad for about 5 days and didn't want to eat her food but now she is eating nothing but her dog food.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
What i am pretty sure happened with sunny is that a few months ago i left his normal bowls at a freinds house that was out of town so i didnt get them back until like last week and until then i had been using some normal bowls from the kitchen, but those bowls were at least twice the size of his normal bowls but i filled them up anyways
totally my fault my baby is getting a little squishy i am hoping just switching to his normal bowls will help his weight but i might have do something else as well i dont know i dont want this little weight issue now to turn into a serious proublem in a year or 2

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I feed Lexi Innova. She gets 1/4 cup in the morning and another 1/4 at night.

I was off yesterday afternoon. It was really nice so Lexi and I went for a walk, maybe a mile. I had to carry her for about 1/4 of the walk. I'm going to taking her for walks every other day or when ever it is nice.

Dang it just looked at the weather forecast for the next 5 days. It is going to start getting colder again (30s).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts