Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Puddles it going to be a bigger Maltese. My breeder said he would be 5-7 lbs. I really wanted him to stay in the 6 lbs range, but is over that. Hes not a big eater so, I know thats not the problem. But hes a healthy little rascal !

6 months old - 8lbs

What about your fur babies.....weight and age??

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Shoot! My breeder for ButterCloud said he wouldn't get much bigger than 7 lbs. MY BUTT! he's 10 mos and at least 11lbs! And he may be a lil overweight, but he'd be anorexic if I try to get him to be 7 lbs. He looks healthy at his weight. I can sorta feel his ribs
. His hair is really thick so it's already hard to feel his ribs.

Noriko's breeder said she'd be 3-4 lbs. She's about 4 to 4.5 lbs. She definitely looks a little chubby.

·
Registered
489 Posts
By 6mo all of mine were done growing. The breeder I purchased my last two from said my Harry and Minnie would be 4 to 6lbs and they are. He's 5.5lbs and she's 5lbs soaking wet. My Hedwig is 6.5lbs and my first girl Chocolate is 10lbs. I learned allot more about the breed after my first. Usually whatever their weight is at 12 weeks can be doubled to estimate the adult weight but nothings set in stone.
Kelly

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Catcher is 6.6 pounds at 6 months. The breeder thought he'd be around 8 pounds. He has a very delicate bone structure so I sort of doubt that he will get to 8.

Kallie is 10.6 at 2 1/2 years. The vet said she needed to lose a little... I've had her on a food for overweight dogs for many months and her weight does not budge. It is like it is stuck on 10.6.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catchers Mom@Oct 24 2004, 07:00 PM
Do you recall if she grew much after 6 months?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13094
[/QUOTE]

i can look up her records i got from the vet

4months = 3.5 lbs
7months=4.9 lbs
8months=5.0 lbs
9months=5.3
10months=5.3 lbs

and nope, i guess she didnt grow much after 6 months... :lol:

she'll be one year old in mid december..

·
Registered
323 Posts
Pudge is 1 year and 5 mos and weighs not quite 8lbs and Josie is 1 year and 2 months and weighs 6lbs. Pudge has filled out a bit at 1 year he was 7.2 lbs he is now about 7.8 and holding. Josie it was hard to tell with her teen pregnancy and all
but she is holding steadywhere she is....their little girl Sophie is 3.6 lbs at 14 weeks and that is about where Pudge was so she will be about his size I think. Hard to tell.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Abby is 13 weeks old and weighs 3lb (I think that's right - she's close to 1.4kg).

She was just under 1.5lb (763 grams I think it was) at 7 weeks, so she has doubled, which the vet was very happy with!

Does that mean my baby will be about 2.8kg or just over 6lb on average as an adult? Is that big or small, good or bad?? (I know obviously, if they are healthy then it is fine - but is that an average size?)

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by mee+Oct 24 2004, 08:19 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catchers Mom
@Oct 24 2004, 07:00 PM

Do you recall if she grew much after 6 months?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13094
i can look up her records i got from the vet

4months = 3.5 lbs
7months=4.9 lbs
8months=5.0 lbs
9months=5.3
10months=5.3 lbs

and nope, i guess she didnt grow much after 6 months... :lol:

she'll be one year old in mid december..
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13097
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info..... I hope Catcher is just about finished...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Chanel is 7 months old and 4lbs. My breeder told me that she would probably end up being 6.5 - 7 lbs, and I was not happy to hear that because I wanted a tiny lap dog. Actually, Chanel is a bit under 4lbs right now. She lost a ittle weight due to her being spayed...but I think she is gaining it back.

~Elegant

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by Sunshine@Oct 24 2004, 08:08 PM
Abby is 13 weeks old and weighs 3lb (I think that's right - she's close to 1.4kg).

She was just under 1.5lb (763 grams I think it was) at 7 weeks, so she has doubled, which the vet was very happy with! 

Does that mean my baby will be about 2.8kg or just over 6lb on average as an adult? Is that big or small, good or bad?? (I know obviously, if they are healthy then it is fine - but is that an average size?)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13104
[/QUOTE]
That's a perfect size. According to the standard they may be up to 7lbs with 4 to 6 preferred. But remember according to the standards of society we should all be 5'9" and 110lbs.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Originally posted by adorableaccentsdogbows.com+Oct 25 2004, 04:37 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Sunshine
@Oct 24 2004, 08:08 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13104
That's a perfect size. According to the standard they may be up to 7lbs with 4 to 6 preferred. But remember according to the standards of society we should all be 5'9" and 110lbs.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13123
[/B][/QUOTE]
lol thats a good one! i wish! (5'9'' 110) Chico is almost 7 months and is about 6 pounds he was almost 3 pounds at 12 weeks so i think he will be 7 -8 if he grows for a year. i JUST LOVE HIM ~ DENISE

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
[/QUOTE]

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13123
[/QUOTE]

That is SOOOOOOO funny!!!!!!!!!!

Good thing someone didn't throw me out-since I am BARELY 5'2"...and WAY more than 110!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Oct 25 2004, 01:49 AM
Chanel is 7 months old and 4lbs.  My breeder told me that she would probably end up being 6.5 - 7 lbs, and I was not happy to hear that because I wanted a tiny lap dog.  Actually, Chanel is a bit under 4lbs right now.  She lost a ittle weight due to her being spayed...but I think she is gaining it back.

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13119
[/QUOTE]

I would guess that Chanel won't get to 7 pounds at all. At already 7 months she should be just about finished growing... I wouldn't think she would gain more than a pound or so more... So looks like you'll get your tiny lap dog

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady is almost 9 years old and weighs 9 pounds. And I struggle to keep her weight down because she would eat everything she could!

When you start seeing some of the "giant" Maltese (11, 12 pounds and up and not overweight), quite often you are seeing the result of an unscrupulous breeder. Teeney tiny Maltese have small litters and difficult pregnancies and deliveries so these so-called breeders will mix a little Bichon or Westie in to get big females for breeding. I think that's what they found in a lot of JS's puppies, that many didn't even look purebred with their size, long legs, etc.

Interesting article here about falsifying birtdates: http://www.nopuppymills.com/index.php?page=mondayspups

Just like with people, your puppy will be the size God intended him to be!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts