Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Weight at 8 wks

6K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  starry 
#1 ·
OK I was just reading the thread "what does your baby weigh now" trying to figure out if my baby's weight is "normal" and I'm freaking out -

He'll be 8 wks on Sunday and he currently weighs 3lbs - Is this normal? Is he obese? The funny thing is, to me he looks like such a tiny little squirt. I weighed him by putting him in a shoebox on a kitchen scale - I 0'd out the shoebox weight.

Oh boy.....Is he going to be a 20 lbs malt?:huh::unsure::blush:

#3 ·
I know I'm so technologically inept...but I've also been all over this puppy this week. I downloaded about 300 pics from my camera :blush: yesterday to free it up and will take pics of my widdle poochie over the weekend. We took pics when he was 4 wks at the breeder and then used the camcorder for when we brought him home late Sunday night. I will post pics of him next week...I hope I can figure it out - I'm so spastic! I use I photo too on the mac which makes things more confusing to me.

But seriously, I think I may have a big widdle fella on my hands...it's weird though, he was the tiniest of his littermates and the mom didn't seem like a big malt at all - I don't know.:blink:

#6 ·
Which means my baby will probably end up being a bigger malt. Unless he's just growing a lot now and will then slow down...we'll see. It's just that it seems like most sm members doggies here weigh less at a much older age.

#7 ·
If your puppy is healthy and active, no need to 'freak out'... if you've read the board, the dogs end up all different sizes. Depending on where you bought your maltese, will be a better indicator of size (ie, from a breeder who is known [therefore you see the general sizes of the dogs in their breeding program], you will have a better idea of what the full grown size will be...if yours was bought from another source, you will be less likely to know because even if you saw the parents, you don't know how large the dogs who they were bred from were, etc...therefore, it is more of a mystery card ;)) Hope that makes sense. Just ENJOY your new little one and don't worry about stuff :) (and let your vet guide you as far as your pup's health [have Never heard of an obese puppy - they are way too active for that])

#15 ·
OK good. Thanks! I wasn't originally thinking about the "over-feeding" thing but I started noticing that a lot of SM members seem to meticulously measure out their pups food at different wks/month etc. so I started to think that maybe I'm doing something wrong + we're Italian and we tend to over-do-it sometimes - LOL. Also, he tends to kind of nibble at his food at first, for like 10 seconds then he takes a "break" and goes away to do something else and he only goes back if I encourage him by placing him near the bowl and sometimes putting some on his mouth - so for a moment I thought, am I being too Italian saying "mangia, mangia" - but I guess it's better to have some extra reserves than risking hypoglycemia. He's so cute - yes, he's my little chunkie teddybear and I hope to keep him healthy for a long, long time no matter how big or within the standard he winds up being.

As always, thanks everyone for the reassurance -

#24 ·
What a darling puppy.
He looks to be a nice maltese/face,color and markings!
My new maltese Holly was 2 1/2lbs at 8 wks. She is now almost 3 years old and weighs about 7lbs. At first I was freaked out she would not be a tiny one but now am glad she is the size she is.
I think your pup will be around 8 maybe 9 lbs. That is still a perfect size for carrying around, also most airlines here will alow you to fly with a dog that size!
He has a nice coat too I noticed.. Have fun with your new baby!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.