Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 13 week old little girl fluff and I am wondering if she is gaining weight way too fast or its normal? She has gained about 6 or 7 ounces in the last week!!!
We are feeding her about 1.5 ounces Royal Canine Mini junior, about 0.3 ounces of chicken (training treats) and a couple of other treats totalling about 2.0 ounces which is what Royal Canine says she should be eating at 13 weeks.

Any ideas if this is too much food, not enough exercise, or is she growing at a normal rate? Both her parents are about 5lb fully grown.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Different lines grow at different rates - some grow very fast, some grow slow.

My maltese gained 5oz between 12 and 13 weeks - he grew fast but stopped growing at around 7 or 8 months old. He is 5.5lbs.

I would be feeding her puppy food though - not junior.
Keep her on puppy food until 12 months - then gradually switch to adult food.

I see you are in the UK - she might have some of the same lines as my malt as he is from the UK.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that. For some reason the Royal Canine, Mini Junior is actually for puppies up to 10 months!!! Bit of a confusing name but I have checked with the breeder, the packet and the manufacturer :)
I have her linage back 5 or 6 generations I think.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Puppies need to eat a lot - they've got lots of growing to do. If you're unsure about the pups weight, you might want to check with your vet.

Welcome to Spoiled Maltese!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
My puppy doubled in weight from 9 to 12 weeks! Of course she ended up being a lot more than 5 pounds, but I wouldn't worry too much about weight gain as long as she seems healthy and not overweight. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts