Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about the weight our babies should be. Kobe is 3.5 lbs and according to the vet he hasn’t gained anything this last month. It worries me a little bit. The vet says that it’s fine but he seems skinny to me. He eats well. I serve his a half cup and we free feed. He eats probably three times a day. Every once in a while he scratches at him bowl for extra at the end of the night. I‘ll give him more since it is so rare of a request. Any advice for what I should do? Please help. I am really concerned.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
There is no way we can tell you what he should weigh. Every Maltese is built differently. A normal range in the breed is about 3-10 lbs. As long as he is acting healthy and energetic, has solid stools, a negative fecal test, and his ribs can just barely be felt, then he is fine. The vet surely would have told you if there was a problem with his weight. I can't remember how old your puppy is, but their growth slows down after the first few months.

Reactions: maddysmom

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no way we can tell you what he should weigh. Every Maltese is built differently. A normal range in the breed is about 3-10 lbs. As long as he is acting healthy and energetic, has solid stools, a negative fecal test, and his ribs can just barely be felt, then he is fine. The vet surely would have told you if there was a problem with his weight. I can't remember how old your puppy is, but their growth slows down after the first few months.
Ok. Thanks Elisabeth. I thing the ribs thing is what concerns me but all the rest you mentioned is normal. I keep worrying about the food I give him. I read about chicken by product which seems to be in just about every dog food and with so many choices it’s confusing to me about what is the right choice and he is never really excited about eating. So I wonder if that’s why he seems thinner to me.He is 6 months now and his parents are both closer to 7 lbs.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Sometimes it takes a few food trials to find one they like! I wouldn't worry about chicken by-product unless a dog had an allergy to chicken. It is not otherwise a bad ingredient in dog foods. It sounds like he might grow up to be a little smaller than his parents.

Reactions: Abella's Mommy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was wondering about the weight our babies should be. Kobe is 3.5 lbs and according to the vet he hasn’t gained anything this last month. It worries me a little bit. The vet says that it’s fine but he seems skinny to me. He eats well. I serve his a half cup and we free feed. He eats probably three times a day. Every once in a while he scratches at him bowl for extra at the end of the night. I‘ll give him more since it is so rare of a request. Any advice for what I should do? Please help. I am really concerned.
If your vet has said there is nothing to worry about, then you shouldn't worry. Being healthy is important. If you are worried about your dog is not interested about eating food, then maybe the food is not tasty for him. You can go to food trials with your dog. It may help you to choose a dog food.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your vet has said there is nothing to worry about, then you shouldn't worry. Being healthy is important. If you are worried about your dog is not interested about eating food, then maybe the food is not tasty for him. You can go to food trials with your dog. It may help you to choose a dog food.
Food trials?

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Food trials = trying different foods :)

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Here we have several pet food stores that will give you free samples and even will let you buy a bag of dog food to try and if you or your dog doesn't like it let you return whats left in the bag and issue you a full refund - (Pet Food Express helped me a lot find the right food for Abella - her tummy was very "finicky") . You might check and see if any stores like this are available in your area.
🐶 🐾🌻

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
There are several food stores that let your dog try the food before you buy it. It will help you to know whether your dog likes the taste or not.
A word of caution:
When you are switching dog food you need to do it very gradually. Slowly mixing in the new food with the previous food your dog was eating. Making a sudden complete change all at once can be produce very negative outcome! However if you are just talking about giving your dog a couple pieces to see if he eats them I'm sure that would be harmless.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
If you trust the vet, I'd go by what he/she says. If you don't trust the vet, go to another.

My Maltese-Wanna-Be was 3.4 lbs at 4 months. By a year he was still not 4 lbs. The vet said he was too thin and I agreed but just couldn't get wait on him because of his servere digestive issues.

Mutiple vet visits, hospital stays, and medications and finally he was doing well. However, he was still a finicky eater and vet told me Whispy needed to gain weight. I probably tried every dog food out there, as well as making fresh for him. Probiotics, fish oil added to meals. I succeeded in getting him to gain weight and now at 3 years old, "he's almost 8 lbs, so vet now says he has to lose weight. UGH!

So to sum up...if your pup is healthy and your vet is happy...not to worry. Just enjoy the Sweetie! :)

Lainie

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you trust the vet, I'd go by what he/she says. If you don't trust the vet, go to another.

My Maltese-Wanna-Be was 3.4 lbs at 4 months. By a year he was still not 4 lbs. The vet said he was too thin and I agreed but just couldn't get wait on him because of his servere digestive issues.

Mutiple vet visits, hospital stays, and medications and finally he was doing well. However, he was still a finicky eater and vet told me Whispy needed to gain weight. I probably tried every dog food out there, as well as making fresh for him. Probiotics, fish oil added to meals. I succeeded in getting him to gain weight and now at 3 years old, "he's almost 8 lbs, so vet now says he has to lose weight. UGH!

So to sum up...if your pup is healthy and your vet is happy...not to worry. Just enjoy the Sweetie! :)

Lainie
I wasn’t too worried. He said he would be probably 5 lbs by the time he was 6 months and then would probably stop. Well we are 6 months and when we went to be neutered they told me he was 3.47. Less than the last time I took him to the vet. Mind you I went somewhere else because I could afford it at my private vet but we all noticed how thin he was looking and had been commenting on it here at home prior to that. I always given him dry kibble but lately I’ve incorporated about a tea spoon of wet into his food and split it into 3 feedings. He seems to look forward to eating now and he is looking a little fuller. I’m going to call my regular vet prior to our big trip to see if we can get him seen just because we will be gone for a while anyway. But I’m feeling more confident now.

·
Premium Member
17,394 Posts
So are you saying you put 1/2 C in his dish for the day & he free feeds this throughout the day?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So are you saying you put 1/2 C in his dish for the day & he free feeds this throughout the day?
I was. Some days he’d leave some. Some days he’s eat it all and very rarely he’s ask for more. The last three days I’ve added a teaspoon to the 1/2 cup, mixed it up and split it up on 3 meal servings. He’s still not eating it all at eat meal but most of it and he seems excited to eat now.

I just left the vet, actually sitting in the parking lot and he weight at 3.8 and they finally gave him flea and tick meds. I’m happy for that.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I would not let him "graze" eat. Have a set amount of time for him to finish his food at each feeding (i.e. 10 min or less) then remove the food until the next feeding. This will teach him to eat when its time because the food will not be there later.

Also, some treats can be very high in calories. You might get some and use in your training sessions. Make a big / excited deal when Kobe does something you want him to do and give him a treat with lots & lots of praise. He will learn to love getting treats and lots of praise from you along with learning new things. Win / Win!

Keep us updated with your progress! 👍 😊

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would not let him "graze" eat. Have a set amount of time for him to finish his food at each feeding (i.e. 10 min or less) then remove the food until the next feeding. This will teach him to eat when its time because the food will not be there later.

Also, some treats can be very high in calories. You might get some and use in your training sessions. Make a big / excited deal when Kobe does something you want him to do and give him a treat with lots & lots of praise. He will learn to love getting treats and lots of praise from you along with learning new things. Win / Win!

Keep us updated with your progress! 👍 😊
Ok. I’m so confused. I was doing that in the beginning. The breeder we bought him from told us to do that but the vet scolded me. He said Maltese tend to have blood sugar issues and it’s better if they can eat when they feel they need to. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Cheryl, I sure am not going to tell you to go against your vets recommendation for your little Kobe. Does Kobe have blood sugar level issues because of his small size? Perhaps the vet is concerned because of his very small size? I'm hoping others here on SM with experience in this area will chime in with advise.

I know I have seen so many dogs that could care less about eating their food all of a sudden start gobbling it down when they knew that it was going to disappear until next feeding time. My sisters small dog was a grazer. When I was pet sitting her it only took me a couple days to get her to finish all the food quickly in her dish. Perhaps it helped that she knew Abella wanted to finish it off if she didn't. lol!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheryl, I sure am not going to tell you to go against your vets recommendation for your little Kobe. Does Kobe have blood sugar level issues because of his small size? Perhaps the vet is concerned because of his very small size? I'm hoping others here on SM with experience in this area will chime in with advise.

I know I have seen so many dogs that could care less about eating their food all of a sudden start gobbling it down when they knew that it was going to disappear until next feeding time. My sisters small dog was a grazer. When I was pet sitting her it only took me a couple days to get her to finish all the food quickly in her dish. Perhaps it helped that she knew Abella wanted to finish it off if she didn't. lol!
No ma’am. Not to my knowledge. He told me that because of his size he needed to eat smaller amount more times through the day. That’s why I was supposed to leave it out. I would definitely welcome any advise from others.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts