Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend's Maltese just left. Last year and the one before, I used to petsit him a lot and adore him. I was shocked to see him. He's probably around 6 years old now and is on meds for seizures that he had a few years ago. He's overweight (7# but he used to be 5#)and she's trying to get him to slim down. He's on Wellness small breed kibble, 1/4 cup a day. I think he'd be hungry with that little. What are some things he can eat? I remember someone once saying green beans -- raw or cooked? She said he's on some kind of sodium med - which I would think would make him retain water and he was drinking a lot of water while here -- more than Tyler ever does. I also saw him pee a lot and once go to lick his pee - what's up with that? Any help would be great. I felt so bad. Tyler was being pretty territorial which he never gets to do because we visit other people so often. After playing they were pooped...let sleeping dogs lie.
Peter:

Tyler:

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Sue - when we were working on Hunter's weight loss (and now we are working on putting some of it back on) the snacks that the vet said he could have were as follows:

1. steamed carrots
2. steamed greenbeans
3. Small slices of apple, banana, strawberry
4. Sweet potato chew once a week.

1/4 a cup a day seems pretty small. Hunter was 12 pounds (and is now 10) and he was on 1/4 a cup morning and night of Natural Balance small breed.

To compare, Hunter is currently on 1/3 a cup of Grandma Lucy's twice daily with 1 table spoon of babyfood (Plum variety) and 2 teaspoons of kibble mixed in.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
The pictures are adorable. Don't know about pee licking.

Crisse is on prednisone, always hungry. I give my girls cooked cauliflower and sweet potatoes. Low in calories, my girls absolutely love this mixture. All the nutrients are probably gone in the cauliflower because of the cooking, yet, it's a great filler.
xoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxo

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I think sweet potatoes are good. I also give Aolani carrots, apples and bananas for treats. He eats 1/4cup of Fromm in the morning and then for dinner he eats 1/8th Fromm abd 1/8th Grandma Lucy. If not, then I would give him 1/4cup of Fromm again for dinner. So that's 1 half a cup a day and he weighs 6 pounds. Hope that helps for comparison.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,980 Posts
Susan, it would be good to have tests run to make sure he is okay---kidney & I would have him checked for cushings just to be sure that isn't an issue.
Otherwise Erin's tips were excellent. Kitzel is a HUGE eater---he loves green beans & carrots (raw carrots), cooked green beans. We actually call him Mr. Green-Beans. He eats more than most dogs here do--but then I sort of like it that he has a bit of reserve. At the moment his weight is down (no idea what he weighs) but I am giving him extra to get him back to where he was. I think consistency is important, and changes in either direction should be monitored.
What a good auntie you are to check for him!

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Peeing a lot could be a sign a number of problems including Diabetes or Cushings, or a UTI. I would certainly have him checked (and sometimes these things are missed on the first check). After that, some of the snack suggestions above may help fit the bill.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Poor little guy. The excessive thirst and hunger are side effects from the seizure meds. My vet has recommended steamed green beans for weight control for Mandy. I also have the Zuke's mini natural treats that are only 2 calories per treat. I have tried sliced apples and steamed carrots. But, they do not agree with Cody.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Like Suzi said, he's probably drinking more due to his meds. But another thing to consider is that he's only eating kibble. I'm pretty sure I remember that you are doing more of a home cooked food for Tyler, which is made with a lot of water. Fresh meat in itself has a lot of water in it. People are always amazed at how much less water their dogs drink when they switch from kibble to a home cooked diet, Dr. H's, or G'ma Lucy's.

Steamed veggies are great but so are some fresh uncooked ones. :thumbsup: Mine adore the crunchiness of raw baby carrots, asparagus & green beans.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Sue,

I'm no vet, but looking at the picture of Peter's belly reminds me of what Harry's belly looks like when he's retaining fluid. When Harry was on prednisone, he was also overweight. Now that he's off the weight, the doctor says he's too thin... go figure.

The amount of food that she's feeding him seems way too little to me. (Does she just feed once a day?) And, the kibble may have sodium in it, thus compounding the thirst and fluid retention issues. I would encourage her to talk to her vet about it or even contact a nutritionist.

For snacks my guys also love to eat carrots (cooked and raw), squash, apples, and sweet potatoes (I buy the canned dog sweet potatoes from my pet supply store and mix some into their food occasionally.)

Poor little thing!! :wub:

Debbie

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for good advice. I know that Peter had issues with the seizures and then at some point he had really bad skin problems and hot spots last year. He was on several drugs. Now I'm not sure what he's on (his skin is fine now) but she did say that he's on something for the seizures and was told by her vet that the thirst issue was from that. Interesting about the water content in food when I home cook vs. kibble, Crystal.
I'll try to suggest testing for Cushings, diabetes or UTI but she seems to trust her vet. I don't want to push too hard but if there's something wrong that he's missing it's worth it. Deb - he's on 1/8 cp of food in morning and 1/8 at night. He's only been on the cutback for two weeks. I feel so bad because he was an incredibly fit little guy back when he used to come here.
He was the dream Maltese who made me know for sure I wanted one and also the temperament I wanted. To see him this way saddens me. It can't be comfortable.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,980 Posts
Susan, 1/8th of a cup of food 2 X a day seems WAY too little to me! He must be starving. Is the vet okay w/that?

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Susan, 1/8th of a cup of food 2 X a day seems WAY too little to me! He must be starving. Is the vet okay w/that?
I agree... that is a very small amount of food even for a small dog!!
That's why I started a thread here. I would think that he's really hungry and that's why I was trying to come up with some more foods to supplement what he's eating but not fattening ones. I got a recommendation for a nutritionist in NJ from the Animal Medical Center doc who spoke to our Malt Meet up group. I'll pass it on to her.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
All of the above are good recommendations. You can also try calculating the appropriate calorie intake and then tailoring his diet to meet his caloric needs.

Calculate ideal weight in KG (lbs / 2.2)
Calculate Resting Energy Rate:

30 x ideal body weight in KG + 70 = total number of calories the dog should eat in a 24 hr period.

You can use any food just give the correct calorie intake. Be sure to count the calories in treats. I've used this with customers and had good success. You can give a bit more depending on how active the dog is.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
I agree... that is a very small amount of food even for a small dog!!
That's why I started a thread here. I would think that he's really hungry and that's why I was trying to come up with some more foods to supplement what he's eating but not fattening ones. I got a recommendation for a nutritionist in NJ from the Animal Medical Center doc who spoke to our Malt Meet up group. I'll pass it on to her.
Depends on how many treats he's getting during the day and what kind. I hate it when I see overweight dogs getting very little good food and tons of treats full of empty calories. Even if treats are high quality, I personally feel the majority of the daily caloric intake needs to be from their food. However, sometimes when dealing with family members...for example G'pa's...:whistle: ... certain 'rules' are conveniently forgotten.

Also...depending on what the food is can change the normal amount. I'm finding on the Addicition Dehydrated Raw I'm feeding my 3, the amount is almost cut in half that they all get. Callie is getting 1/8 cup twice a day, Jett somewhere between 1/8 cup & 1/4 cup twice a day, and Zoe a level 1/4 cup twice a day. So far we seem to be maintaining weight but I do think my Callie's just a tad *cough* fluffy.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Is he just on KBr or is he on phenobarb as well?
I agree he needs to be evaluated by the vet. He needs to have a thyroid panel done, basic chem panel, CBC, urinalysis, and seizure medication levels.
I would switch his food. Some dogs do well on a higher protein no grain diet for weight loss while others do better on a lower protein, low fat diet that is padded with carbs for filler. You also need to note the kcal/cup and select a food with fewer calories.
You can reduce dog food and increase veggies to help fill the dog.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
All of the above are good recommendations. You can also try calculating the appropriate calorie intake and then tailoring his diet to meet his caloric needs.

Calculate ideal weight in KG (lbs / 2.2)
Calculate Resting Energy Rate:

30 x ideal body weight in KG + 70 = total number of calories the dog should eat in a 24 hr period.

You can use any food just give the correct calorie intake. Be sure to count the calories in treats. I've used this with customers and had good success. You can give a bit more depending on how active the dog is.
Thanks for the formula! I double checked Bogie's diet because I only feed him 1/8 cup 3x a day and I got worried that maybe I wasn't feeding him enough, but the numbers work out and he is maintaining his weight. It just never seems like very much.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I heard back from Peter's mom and he is totally under a vet and neurologist's care at a very well regarded veterinary hospital and has had every test in the book run and often. The doc keeps checking that there isn't another health issue and also that the meds he's on aren't causing other medical problems. Jackie - I'm not sure about what all the meds are that he's on but I think several and seem to remember pheno last year after he had seizures. in addition he consulted with other docs there about the diet issue. He's on the food I mentioned in addition to some vet okayed treats and some carrots so it isn't just the 1/4 cup of Wellness. He's just going to be on the diet for a few weeks. He already lost a half a pound and has more energy than he did so she definitely thinks he's on the right path and will be able to eat more once he gets more active. I suggested a nutritionist I will be seeing for Tyler to check that my home cooking is really on target. if she wants another opinion. Not much else I can do.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Is he just on KBr or is he on phenobarb as well?
I agree he needs to be evaluated by the vet. He needs to have a thyroid panel done, basic chem panel, CBC, urinalysis, and seizure medication levels.
I would switch his food. Some dogs do well on a higher protein no grain diet for weight loss while others do better on a lower protein, low fat diet that is padded with carbs for filler. You also need to note the kcal/cup and select a food with fewer calories.
You can reduce dog food and increase veggies to help fill the dog.
I agree with Jackie here. He needs to be fully evaluated. But if all his levels are appropriate, the food change can make a big difference. Lola is on KBro and Pred. She has bloated up to 15 pounds (my formerly 6lb girl) It was a scary thing to see. She could barely move and she snorted like a piggy. I switched to Only Natural Turkey and Sweet Potato. She loved the food (of course on Pred she liked the lint on the floor) and low and behold she is now down to 8lbs. Much better, good protein and no grains. Cutting carbs helped her greatly. I had her on Royal Canin Hepatic LS after her liver acted up during her treatment for her GME. It is low protein, but full of corn. I think it was keeping her fat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts