Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the largest Maltese that you have ever seen? Weight wise? I ran into a really nice couple today, who say they have a 13lb Maltese and also has grade 2/3 LP. Poor guy is going in for surgery this week.

We got to talking and I am really begining to think that they do not have a full blooded Maltese and that he isn't really overweight. That they either got a bad representation of the breed AND/OR they got a mixed Maltese/Bichon. I say this, because she told me what she has been feeding him and it's all been healthy food and within the guidelines of what he should be getting, actually a little less as far as dry food goes.

I asked them how much did he weigh at 12 weeks and they said about 8 lbs. So at 11 months old, 13 lbs now. Wouldn't that be putting him at around 20 lbs, according to the estimation thing we use??? Anyway I asked if they would bring him in so I could see him. I also told them about this wonderful site. So hopefully they will join us here or at least read all the wealth of info and can get another Malt in the future.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
That estimate is for the average Maltese from a reputable breeder. You cannot predict the growth rate of a dog from unknown background. Yes I've seen purebred Maltese from poor quality parents grow to large sizes. You breed an outcross of 8 and 9 lb parents and big might be in there. That's the likelihood of genetics to a degree.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I don't think you can estimate if he's a mix. Sounds like he's definitely that.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've seen a lot of large maltese. I've also seen a lot of large yorkies. Hard to know if they are completely purebred or not..it IS possible though so large size alone wouldn't make me think a dog is a mix. My Dad's cousin has had a few maltese. Her current maltese came from a show breeder and was placed as a pet because he was oversized. I think he's about 10lbs. Sometimes genetics are tricky...dogs can end up smaller or larger than you are hoping for.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think the majority of Maltese you see around on the streets are from BYBs and Pet Shops (Puppy Mills) so it's hard to know for sure their background. Very possible that lots of them have been outcrossed to Bichons either unknowingly or purposefully to make the birth less complicated. Lots of Maltese I see have courser/curlier coats, too. Of course I would never say anything, but almost every person I meet asks me if Leila is a teacup or a miniature Maltese because they've never seen one so small. Most people on the street haven't ever seen a well-bred Maltese, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
Weight is tricky and hard to judge.. Atticus & Rugby are litter mates (both from Grace) - they are from a reputable breeder (Aria Maltese). Atticus weighs 8.5 lbs and Rugby weighs 5.3 lbs and Grace weighs between 6lbs - 6.5 lbs - depending on her diet (she can be a little porker - but that's my fault). So, I would be highly offended if someone told me Atticus wasn't a full blood maltese, because he weighs too much or that he came from a less then reputable source. Standard is: Under 7 pounds; 4 to 6 pounds preferred. So, Atticus is out of standard, but his parents were both below 7lbs. Genetics is tricky, both of my parents have brown eyes & I have blue eyes. My Genetics instructor in college told me there was a lot going on there.. I just needed to pass the class.. so I took a pass on learning more.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My girl is 13pounds

I got her from a pet shop my husband bought her live and learn at 4 month she was 1pd 4 oz. (think they lied about her age) she is aca registeredHe paid 1800 for her I paid 2000 to have her eyes fixed bad tearing and hair growth on inside of the eyelids so i guess poor breeding is all over I would never breed her but people will breed anything for MONEY.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Weight is tricky and hard to judge.. Atticus & Rugby are litter mates (both from Grace) - they are from a reputable breeder (Aria Maltese). Atticus weighs 8.5 lbs and Rugby weighs 5.3 lbs and Grace weighs between 6lbs - 6.5 lbs - depending on her diet (she can be a little porker - but that's my fault). So, I would be highly offended if someone told me Atticus wasn't a full blood maltese, because he weighs too much or that he came from a less then reputable source. Standard is: Under 7 pounds; 4 to 6 pounds preferred. So, Atticus is out of standard, but his parents were both below 7lbs. Genetics is tricky, both of my parents have brown eyes & I have blue eyes. My Genetics instructor in college told me there was a lot going on there.. I just needed to pass the class.. so I took a pass on learning more.
I wouldn't think that Atticus wasn't purebred because he's 8.5 pounds. Honestly I think it's hard to tell the difference between a Malt that's 5 pounds vs. 7 pounds vs. 9 pounds. Unless you feel their body it's hard to tell with all the fluff.

But, when you're talking about a 15-20 pound "Maltese", you have to wonder.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Maltese are very very rare here in Ireland. Its so funny - all the ones from BYB's I've seen have been tiny!! Our standard is bigger than the standard in the states - 6.6 - 8.8lbs so show maltese are usually bigger - although I have seen maltese in the ring that are smaller than that and win :)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
My Bailey is 15lbs. I don't know anything about her lines as I got her from a family that couldn't take care of her anymore. She looks like any Maltese that I have ever seen but being so big I wonder sometimes if she may have some other breed in there somewhere. I love her big or small :wub:

Here is my big girl...
DSCN8835.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And really all that matters, we still love them no matter what size they are! and they are happy and healthy!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I think Maltese size can vary alot without any "outcrossing".

My grandmother was 4' 10" and my son is 6"4"-not usual but it can happen.

My 3 youngest Maltese are all related yet they really vary in size....

Mimi is around 4 lbs now an her littermate ( who Mr Tran still owns) will be 6 lbs, yet her full cousin my Twinkle is a wee 2.4-6 lbs and she will never hit 3 lbs ( I think)My JilliBean is almost 5 lbs. and she is their full aunt.

As Orla said the european/ World (FCI) standard is considerably larger ( up to just under 9 lbs) so its quite easy to imagine one in the teens.

And really Malts of all sizes are still great dogs. And the bigger ones are probably a better fit with a family with kids that a "tiny" one.

Don't misunderstand me I am not supportive of breeding indiscriminately......its just that they don't have to be part poodle or Bichon to be larger. DNA doesn't always reveal its secrets.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I definitely agree that size isn't really a good indication of a pure bred. Jazz came from a very reputable breeder and is a moose at 11.2 lbs. His sister from the same litter is just under 5lbs last I heard. Jazz's daddy is pretty well known and his momma is a beautiful girl. Jazz is healthy as a horse, has a gorgeous expressive face, and is the size of a moose, LOL. He was 2.3 lbs when I brought him home at 16 weeks. Go figure. Both his parents are within size standard.

I would say generally you aren't going to get a big guy like this from a really good breeder, but it happens and I don't love Jazz any less for it. He is my snuggle bear and I couldn't possibly love him more then I do!

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
My Bailey is 15lbs. I don't know anything about her lines as I got her from a family that couldn't take care of her anymore. She looks like any Maltese that I have ever seen but being so big I wonder sometimes if she may have some other breed in there somewhere. I love her big or small :wub:

Here is my big girl...
View attachment 86439
I think your Bailey is just PERFECTLY ADORABLE!!

I think it's a very slippery slope when you start "judging" whether a Maltese is purebred based on weight. Unless you are heading to the show ring I don't understand the obsession with weight. I want my Maltese to be healthy and as long as they meet that criteria I don't care what they weigh.

It stands to reason that since there are a significant number of "small" maltese from very good breeders that there would also be some "big" Maltese. I don't understand why people look at the teeny tinies as desirable but then stick their noses up at the big ones.

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
:goodpost:

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts

I think it's a very slippery slope when you start "judging" whether a Maltese is purebred based on weight. Unless you are heading to the show ring I don't understand the obsession with weight. I want my Maltese to be healthy and as long as they meet that criteria I don't care what they weigh.

It stands to reason that since there are a significant number of "small" maltese from very good breeders that there would also be some "big" Maltese. I don't understand why people look at the teeny tinies as desirable but then stick their noses up at the big ones.
:goodpost:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Bailey is precious!!!

Our very first malt, Goliath, is always the King of my heart and he was also a big boy - about 11 pounds in his prime, slightly larger as he got more senior. A puppymill dog (before I knew better), so could have been crossed with something like a bichon and sold as a malt, who knows... just know I couldn't have asked for a better boy. Would give my right arm to have him back...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

:aktion033: I have never understood why some people think tiny equals more desirable either. A dog isn't any more cute to me just because it's tiny. Now, I've seen some absolutely beautiful Maltese on this site that are tiny..but it's not because they are tiny that I think they are pretty. I personally don't want a Yorkie or a Maltese that is on the smaller side of the standard..I like a 5-6lb dog myself if I had to choose a "perfect weight". Anyway..just a pet peeve of mine when I see people that are obsessed with TINY.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Yeah I don't think weight necessarily determines anything. Like Andy was definitely purebred, and his mom was tiny...however he ended up being 12lbs. When we talked to other breeders when looking for Nelson, we said we were looking for one that might be on the larger size when full grown...nothing like 4lbs because we were used to Andy being 12. Granted I know they can't for sure guess the adult weight. But they said it is rare to get a larger one, but it does happen...that they will sometimes "throw a bigger dog".
I mean just like some people are born and end up being 7ft. tall...and have shorter parents or something.

And Nelson's dad was about 4.5lbs, and his mom around 7...and at 6 months he was already 6.5lbs. I don't know what his final adult weight will be. But alot of it has to do with the bone structure and stuff too. Like Andy wasn't fat at all, he was just bigger all over. And with Nelson we picked him out of 3, and went with who felt like they had the biggest bone structure. I dunno what his brothers currently weigh, but I can probably guess or assume he is the largest.

So I don't really think you can say "oh it must not be purebred then because its 13lbs." Ok so maybe it would never be a show dog, but that doesn't mean it isn't full Maltese and otherwise perfectly healthy. Andy being 12lbs never had joint problems and was healthy all his life until the very last month. So I believe he was bred very well, tempermant and physically.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I think more often than not dogs over 13 pounds are mixed (usually with bichon). It's not uncommon at all.
It's a mill thing (and even some byb's do it). It doesn't have anything to do with loving them. I thought it was just a question regarding size and possible mix. After all these years I have yet to see a maltese that was 13 (or more) pounds (purebred and not fat) so I'm going on what I see and have heard from other breeders. I do believe you can have a 7 or 8 pound maltese and chunk them up enough to maybe reach that weight. Of course, it's not healthy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts