Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night I noticed that Bella was a little down. All she wanted to do was lay down and sleep (which is weird for her) my boyfriend kept telling me that she had to be sick but I just said that she's probably tired. Anyway, I picked her up to put her in her little bed and this weird fishy smell was all over me. She was wet by her butt and the smell was coming from there. It was really nasty. No diarrhea or anything.

Isn't this weird? Should I take her to the vet? Has anyone ever experienced this?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Maybe an anal gland problem?
I know the smell ffrom Brink can be enough to empty a room or two of people sometimes.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Sounds like an anal gland problem. I would take her to the vet and have him check it out. If the anal gland becomes compacted it can rupter (not as bad as it sounds and looks, antibotics take care of it).

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Most of us know of the lethal smell you're talking bout. It compares to the smell of 100 dead rotten fishies LOL

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I hope she is feeling better soon! Please let us know!

I have heard about this anal gland problem. Thankfully none of my previous pets ever had an issue with this, but I have known people who talked about their cat/dog needing to have it drained (I have a super weak stomach and I am close to gagging). Is this a common problem with Maltese? Is there something I can do to prevent it?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Oct 7 2005, 01:19 PM
Most of us know of the lethal smell you're talking bout.  It compares to the smell of 100 dead rotten fishies LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107545
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what it smelled like. I thought I was going to pass out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have noticed that Jack excretes "the dreaded fishy butt juice" when he is really afraid or in pain. For example, his paw got caught in a the dryer door the other day and while he was squeeling, his anal glands emptied. It also has happened when he has been afraid of something. Is this normal? (His paw was fine by the way.)

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes its normal..cats are famous for doing that

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by mylittlebella@Oct 7 2005, 01:24 PM
I just went home and she's doing fine(no nasty smell).  I was going to taker her tomorrow anyway for her annual shots and tests so I think I will wait to take her until then.  The vet said that if she was better, that I could wait.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107565
[/QUOTE]

Did you ever take her to the vet? What did he say? Hope she is ok.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts