Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Balls for a few weeks now. I took him to the vet 2 days after I got him because he was really gaseous, and he threw up a little. I think he threw up because we drove him around for a good 3 hours back home. That's the first time he has been in a car so that may have caused him to vomit. They told me they'd run tests on him to see if there was anything wrong. It turns out that he just has gas.

Well here's the problem, it's been a week or so, and every few seconds I would hear his stomach growling even worst than before! He doesn't seem to be hungry because I left food out, and he is very uninterested (unlike before). I even tried to give him his FAVORITE treat! He held it in his mouth, but didn't eat it. The doctors at the clinic told me to give him antibiodics... it doesn't seem to help at all, and they charged me $260! I wouldn't have minded too much if he did get better, but he is in worst condition than he was before I brought him in! =/ This is really frustrating. I don't know where to take him now. If any of you can give me suggestions on some home-remedies to help calm his stomach, please share it. I'm really worried about him. He still jumps around and is really lively, but the noises he makes just scares the crap out of me! =/ What kills me the most is he's probably hurting, and there's no way I can understand him. I know he's trying to tell me something. If only they could communicate with us verbally! =]

Anyway, I appreciate your time for reading this! Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Angelsmom@Nov 19 2005, 02:38 PM
I'm definately not anyone to ask but I think I would get him to another vet for a second opinion. He is to little not to be eating anything.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121218
[/QUOTE]

Hi! Thanks for responding... I have been looking for a new vet, but it's hard to find a good one. I have been switching from different vets for a while now. I probably have tried over 10 clinics and none I have stayed with more than 3 times.

He is eating every now and then... but I have noticed a lost in appetite. I always have food out for him because he's so little. He used to eat like 5 or more times a day, and every time it's a few kibbles because he's so small. I would say it's down to like 3 times now. His stomach seemed to have calmed down a little and makes noises every minute as oppsosed to seconds now. It's driving me nuts. I don't really trust very many vet facilities. If anyone lives in the HOUSTON area, please let me know if you know of any.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
First, what testing has been done one your little one? With one that small, I hope you have had testing done for liver shunt. Also, looking at the shape of his head in the picture, can you tell me the status of any open fontinel?
The little ones are difficult to get to eat. I would never trust just kibble with them. At this small size, it might be that you need to try different sources of nourishment than kibble for him. If he were mine (and I have had experience with more than one like this), I would purchase some baby rice cereal and mix it with chicken babyfood. He will need to eat four to six times a day, at least.
As for the antibiotics, I would suspect that the vet found some type parasite or bacteria. I hope you did complete the antibiotic treatment. It's also possible that the antibiotic messed up the balance in his stomach. In such case, a small amount (1/2 teaspoon) of plain yogurt might help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by LucyLou@Nov 19 2005, 03:36 PM
First, what testing has been done one your little one?  With one that small, I hope you have had testing done for liver shunt.  Also, looking at the shape of his head in the picture, can you tell me the status of any open fontinel? 
The little ones are difficult to get to eat.  I would never trust just kibble with them.  At this small size, it might be that you need to try different sources of nourishment than kibble for him.  If he were mine (and I have had experience with more than one like this), I would purchase some baby rice cereal and mix it with chicken babyfood.  He will need to eat four to six times a day, at least.
As for the antibiotics, I would suspect that the vet found some type parasite or bacteria.  I hope you did complete the antibiotic treatment.  It's also possible that the antibiotic messed up the balance in his stomach.  In such case, a small amount (1/2 teaspoon) of plain yogurt might help.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121234
[/QUOTE]


Hi! It's been a little over a week since I was at the vet. I forgot what testings were done on him. I believe one of it was fecal testing and 4 other tests. They all came out negative so he doesn't have anything wrong with him so far. What is open frontinel? I will definitely try the babyfood for him that you suggested.

The vet told me to give antibiodics to him because he may have bactierias causing him to vomit. He only vomitted about 3 times and that was because of the long car ride. He doesn't vomit anymore. I will go shopping later on today and pick up plain yogurt too! Thanks for helping me through all this! I appreciate it dearly. =]

Oh yes, I would like to add that my mother's friend said that her dog had a lot of gas so her doctor said to give him some off counter medicine for people and it helped! That sounds really risky and weird! Have you ever heard of such things?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
awwwe, poor baby.


That Vet bill without solving the problem would have had me ticked off. That is insane.

By the way, Max threw up on the way home, too. It was only a twenty minute ride. I think he may have been a little scared, he hasn't thrown up in the car since his first ride home.

Gas that isn't passed can be painful and/or uncomfortable. That is a good reason for not eating, he feels full. You didn't say he was crying so, that is a good sign, it's not too bad.

here are some puppy tips on gas from the net, more reasonable than the vet:
Colic Puppy - A Colic puppy scream in pain for days. I found giving a puppy plain yogurt helps ease a colic puppy.

Gas - Gas is another culprit for causing a puppy to cry in pain.
I give them a few drops Gasex and a lactate intolerance over the counter drug.
If all this fails to relieve the puppy, you need to ask your vet for some medication.



Here are some helpful tips on gas in dogs:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/gas.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
The open fontinel is the "soft spot" for babies. In Maltese, it is the opening on the forehead. Given the shape of your dog's head, I would suspect his is still open. There is nothing to be concerned about if it is getting smaller, but, in some cases, it splits, and there I think they are in pain as the brain swells. The probably doesn't have anything to do with the gas, but I thought that if he was having problems eating, he might not feel good. Then, if he's got an empty stomach, he might have cramping. When the little ones stop eating, it's like they forget that they need to, and it becomes a vicious cycle. In these cases, you have to monitor them and entice them with other foods. The fontinel is something you should watch anyway because of his small size. They usually close by four months.
What does his "stool" look like? Is it firm, very hard, or loose.
That's good that he doesn't have any parasites and that the testing was negative. The testing for liver shunt is a blood test.
Also, I would suggest buying a food scale. I have one I purchases at Target that weighs in tenths of a pound. I monitor the weight of mine until they get past two pounds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by MaxMommy@Nov 19 2005, 04:14 PM
awwwe, poor baby.


That Vet bill without solving the problem would have had me ticked off.  That is insane.

By the way, Max threw up on the way home, too.  It was only a twenty minute ride.  I think he may have been a little scared, he hasn't thrown up in the car since his first ride  home.

Gas that isn't passed can be painful and/or uncomfortable.  That is a good reason for not eating, he feels full.  You didn't say he was crying so, that is a good sign, it's not too bad.

here are some puppy tips on gas from the net, more reasonable than the vet:
Colic Puppy - A Colic puppy scream in pain for days. I found giving a puppy plain yogurt helps ease a colic puppy.

Gas - Gas is another culprit for causing a puppy to cry in pain.
I give them a few drops Gasex and a lactate intolerance over the counter drug.
If all this fails to relieve the puppy, you need to ask your vet for some medication.



Here are some helpful tips on gas in dogs:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/gas.htm
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121246
[/QUOTE]

He has been a really good sport. Even sleeping and playing as if nothing is wrong. I will be making a stop to the grocery store in an hour (so that'll give time for more people to maybe post) and buy all the things that everything everyone written. I will first try the plain yogurt. I'll probably wait an hour to see if it eases his stomach.

He hasn't cried about it so I hope it's not too bad. I will try to find Gasex just to have on hand if it worsens.

***As I was typing, he threw up some yellowish stuff! =[ I just cleaned him up with baby wipes, and he's eating a little now and chewing on a bone. =/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by LucyLou@Nov 19 2005, 04:19 PM
The open fontinel is the "soft spot" for babies.  In Maltese, it is the opening on the forehead.  Given the shape of your dog's head, I would suspect his is still open.  There is nothing to be concerned about if it is getting smaller, but, in some cases, it splits, and there I think they are in pain as the brain swells.  The probably doesn't have anything to do with the gas, but I thought that if he was having problems eating, he might not feel good. Then, if he's got an empty stomach, he might have cramping.  When the little ones stop eating, it's like they forget that they need to, and it becomes a vicious cycle.  In these cases, you have to monitor them and entice them with other foods.   The fontinel is something you should watch anyway because of his small size.  They usually close by four months.
What does his "stool" look like?  Is it firm, very hard, or loose. 
That's good that he doesn't have any parasites and that the testing was negative.  The testing for liver shunt is a blood test. 
Also, I would suggest buying a food scale.  I have one I purchases at Target that weighs in tenths of a pound.  I monitor the weight of mine until they get past two pounds.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121247
[/QUOTE]

I just felt his head and no soft spots! None that I can feel at least. It's all really smooth, round, and hard. In my other post, I wrote that he just vomitted some yellowish liquid! I think his stomach is finally reacting to the noises! =[ Poor little guy...

His stool is firm. Although, I did notice this morning that there were a few drops of gooey stuff. I will definitely go buy the food scale next time I'm in Target. Thanks for all your help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by saltymalty@Nov 19 2005, 04:08 PM
When my children were babies (human) I would give them mylacon drops to help with gas.  I don't know if mylacon is safe for animals however.  You may want to check with your vet.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121244
[/QUOTE]


I just did a search on the Mylacon drops and people say it's ok to give it to dogs. Thank you for your help! =]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
hmm the yellow stuff he threw up could be the tummy fluids??

Fill us in on his progress. If he is playing, that is a good sign. Don't let him play too much on an empty stomach (hypoglysemia). May need some sugar water.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by MaxMommy@Nov 19 2005, 04:57 PM
hmm the yellow stuff he threw up could be the tummy fluids??

Fill us in on his progress.  If he is playing, that is a good sign.  Don't let him play too much on an empty stomach (hypoglysemia).  May need some sugar water.

Good luck. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121269
[/QUOTE]
Yes... I believe the might be tummy fluids! That makes me feel a little better. He has very little to no smell.

He is sleeping right now, but when I get up, he jumps around. That's another good sign.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by MaxMommy@Nov 19 2005, 04:14 PM
awwwe, poor baby.


That Vet bill without solving the problem would have had me ticked off.  That is insane.

By the way, Max threw up on the way home, too.  It was only a twenty minute ride.  I think he may have been a little scared, he hasn't thrown up in the car since his first ride  home.

Gas that isn't passed can be painful and/or uncomfortable.  That is a good reason for not eating, he feels full.  You didn't say he was crying so, that is a good sign, it's not too bad.

here are some puppy tips on gas from the net, more reasonable than the vet:
Colic Puppy - A Colic puppy scream in pain for days. I found giving a puppy plain yogurt helps ease a colic puppy.

Gas - Gas is another culprit for causing a puppy to cry in pain.
I give them a few drops Gasex and a lactate intolerance over the counter drug.
If all this fails to relieve the puppy, you need to ask your vet for some medication.



Here are some helpful tips on gas in dogs:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/gas.htm
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121246
[/QUOTE]

Hi. I called up Wal-mart and they said that they had Gasex in tablet forms... is that going to work the same? Most of them are in tablet forms... Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
I would crush a quarter--or less-- of it. A whole tablet would be too much I would think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi again everyone! Thanks for all your replies! You've been a GREAT help! I went to the store and found only tablets instead of drops for the medicine that most of you have written about. I did find one called Mylacon for babies which is a liquid formula. I also bought the baby cereal and baby food for him too. I put a few drops in his food and mixed it up. He didn't want to eat it right away so I broke off a few small pieces of cheese, and that did the trick! His stomach has calmed down a lot! I can't hear or feel any grumbles anymore! Wow! This is just what he needed! Unbelievable how an off the counter remedy that costs under $20 can cure something that a $260 vet visit can't! Ironic, isn't it? Thanks again everyone! =]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by CindyPham@Nov 19 2005, 09:25 PM
Hi again everyone! Thanks for all your replies! You've been a GREAT help! I went to the store and found only tablets instead of drops for the medicine that most of you have written about. I did find one called Mylacon for babies which is a liquid formula. I also bought the baby cereal and baby food for him too. I put a few drops in his food and mixed it up. He didn't want to eat it right away so I broke off a few small pieces of cheese, and that did the trick! His stomach has calmed down a lot! I can't hear or feel any grumbles anymore! Wow! This is just what he needed! Unbelievable how an off the counter remedy that costs under $20 can cure something that a $260 vet visit can't! Ironic, isn't it? Thanks again everyone! =]
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121323
[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad your little one is better. Please keep us posted.

I've learned through the years that there are good and bad vets. Once, I had a babysitter who also worked for the vet. After a while, she felt a loyalty to me, and she told me that he just ran a lot of unnecessary test and prescribed things that were not necessary to build up his new practice and pay for his new home. As years went on, he never was very successful because others realized this about him. I've seen this same thing in others through the years. Last year, I quit using a vet I had been using for four years because he kept making mistakes. The final straw was when he wanted to do a section on one of my dogs that did not need it (he induced her ten days early when she was at the office for something else), because he wanted to make sure he didn't have to stay up late to deliver the pups.
I went to his office to get my dog, and it was the dinner hour. He was not even at the clinic, and she was there alone, hooked up to a drip, aborting pups. I sat up and held her all night as her pups we delivered dead. I almost lost her because of his stupidity. A friend lost a litter of Yorkes as well as the mom a few months back because the vet at the emergency clinic didn't know enough about a dog in labor, or didn't want to wake up to do the c-section. She obtained documentation from the vet she went to so as it could be presented to the vet board.
If you don't feel comfortable with your vet, then keep searching. You should have one that is willing to work with you. Study and learn all you can, then ask questions when you go to the vet. If they are one to just push you in and out, or one who won't let you come back to the exam with your dog, then keep searching.
I have two clinics I can go to with confidence now. The only problem is that both the vets are getting up in age and don't work every day. Of course I'm waiting to see if our own Lady M is withing driving distance of me when she finishes vet school.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
I agree with the above. Some unethical Vets do purposely run up bills to make themselves rich as possible.

I had a friend who's french bulldogs mated. He hadn't planned on mating them, but his roomate left them unsupervised together.

Anyway, despite knowing that frenchis can't deliver the natural way, because of their big heads....in the heat of the moment and the fear, he let the vet convince him that the mom can deliver naturally. She was already in labor and had a paw sticking out of her uterous. Well, with one at the opening with a paw, and another stuck in the birth canal....2 out of the four died during delivery. Thank goodness they finally went c-section and saved the moms life in the process.

Moral of the story, they don't always know the particulars about every breed. Educate and don't second guess yourself, my friend lost two babies because of it and the vet bill skyrocketed.

I did read about Vets, though...that they worry about their businesses because once out of the puppy stage, they don't see dogs but once a year.

No surprise that people who have owned dogs all their lives sometimes know more than the vets. Some told me that their Vet didn't even know about the dangers of greenies till she send her the article. See?

Chalk up that $260 bucks to just being a panicky mom, nothing wrong with that.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top