Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
is it their protocol that she stay overnight?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
what about preop blood work? also have u thought about microchipping/? did she loose all of her baby teeth?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
she might need some teeth pulled...so price could increase..preop blood work is when they check all her organs by lookin at her blood to make sure she can handle the anesthesia..it ia also good for them to have b/c if she is healthy, they will have her normals and when she gets sick they will have something to compare it to

·
Registered
Frankie, Kelsey, & Poochie. Tanner & Jamie at The Bridge
3,597 Posts
Pre-op blood work was how I found out Tanner had liver problems so I think it's a good idea to do it. I never would've known there was a problem without those tests and had I not had them done and put him under anesthesia, I most likely would not have him today.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
It is very important to get pre op bloodwork. It could save her life.

Why does my pet need to have pre-op blood work?

Before your pet undergoes general anesthesia, we recommend a blood test to evaluate the level of red blood cells (which are important in carrying oxygen to the various organs); also to measure kidney and liver enzymes because these organs are important in metabolizing and excreting the anesthesia from the body. Any abnormalities may alter the animal's ability to recover from anesthesia. Blood abnormalities would necessitate changing the anesthesia protocol or even lead to postponement of the procedure, until the underlying condition is corrected.

It can also alert your vet to any underlying medical conditions that aren't noticable yet. This is what the blood chemsitry panel will test for:

ALANINE AMINOTRANSFERASE (ALT)
An enzyme that becomes elevated with liver disease.

ALKALINE PHOSPHATE (ALKP)
An enzyme produced by the biliary tract (liver). Elevated levels can indicate liver disease or Chushing's Syndrome.

BLOOD UREA NITROGEN (BUN)
BUN is produced by the liver and excreted by the kidneys. Testing for it helps to detect liver and kidney abnormalities.

CREATININE (CREA)
Creatinine is a by-product of muscle metabolism and is excreted by the kidneys. Elevated levels can indicate kidney disease or urinary obstruction.

BLOOD GLUCOSE (GLU)
High levels can help diagnose diabetes and can indicate stress, especially in cats. Low levels can indicate liver disease.

TOTAL BILIRUBIN (TBIL)
A component of bile, bilirubin is secreted by the liver into the intestinal tract. Blood bilirubin levels are useful in diagnosing problems in the bile ducts.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
I would question them about picking her up in the afternoon. There is absolutely no reason for your baby to spend the night. Is the clinic even STAFFED at night? If not your baby would certainly be better off at home so you can keep a mommy's eye on her. I would bring her home and then take her back in the a.m. for them to take a quick look see. Also, Jaimie is correct, this is the best time to have any residual baby teeth removed. And the preop blood work is a definite plus. I would never have an anethesia without the preop blood work. Even if nothing is wrong it will give you a good baseline to go by if anything ever did arise. Hope this info helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts