Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="font-family:Times">What do you guys think of the brand WELLNESS by old mother hubbard?</span>

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i fed wellness to jongee and she liked it pretty much, the dogfood doesnt smell that bad either and it can be a little pricey compared to other holistic dogfoods..

it has lots of healthy ingredients but jongee got sick of it later and didnt touch it after i fed her natural balance

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
since we're talking food...

do you all know anything about Solid Gold holistic food? lucy's been loving their itty bitty food that comes in a shiny pink package.. 'made w/ fresh bison and salmon'

since i have a lack of anything better to do, i'll type on the ingredients for you all:

INGREDIENTS:
Bison, Salmon Meal, Millet, Brown Rice, Cracked Pearled Barley, Rice Bran, Canola Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Amaranth, Blueberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Chicory Root, Taurine, Carotene, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamide Mononitrate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Selenomethionine, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid

*NO WHEAT
*NO SOYBEANS
*NO CORN
*NO ANIMAL FAT ADDED
*NO POULTRY FAT
*NO BY-PRODUCTS
*NO SUGAR ADDED
*NO PRESERVATIVES ADDED
*NO SALT ADDED
*NO SUNFLOWER OIL[/B]
wow. i can't believe i just typed all that
anyways, let me know what you all think.. she seems to loooove it and it sure smells better than her old food!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

<span style="font-family:Times">that list sounds very healthy...i likes
</span>

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@May 5 2005, 05:53 PM
what do you use now? im getting ready to buy her a whole big new bag lol so im trying to choose
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60206
[/QUOTE]

after dc. cathy's recommendatoin, i homecook for jongee now..chicken , rice, veggies, and some meat everyday

i have so mucch dogfood left and jongee doesnt touch it anymore ,she hates dogfood now

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@May 5 2005, 06:26 PM
lol you can send me all the leftover food 

i'd cook for lucy, but i really dont have time 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60210
[/QUOTE]

cool! u really want it?? i have like 4-5 bags of dogfood in ziplock bags!!!
i have wellness, natural balance, a little of royal canin ..some are mixed, some arent..
i have some solidgold too

i dont have much time for cooking either, (actually its just boiling the chicken and veggies so its really not cooking) i just buy a lot and cook them once a week and leave it in the fridge..it usually lasts a little more than a week

jongees tearstains have cleared up too after eating homecooked food..

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
lol at this point im desperate to find a good food. if you really wanna unload it, send it my way

sounds like jongee likes the homecooked plan

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@May 5 2005, 11:55 AM
since we're talking food... 

do you all know anything about Solid Gold holistic food? lucy's been loving their itty bitty food that comes in a shiny pink package.. 'made w/ fresh bison and salmon'

since i have a lack of anything better to do, i'll type on the ingredients for you all:
It seems like a very nice food, to me. If she likes it, you should consider yourself lucky!

·
Registered
7 Posts
We were using Just A WeeBit from solid gold but she started to have a strange smell. I called the company and said she must be allergic to the bison. Said to stop using it to look for another food. But I need one that doesn't contain lamb. At the pet store I was told to stay away from chicken because chicken wasn't good for white breed dogs. has anyone heard of this. We don't know what to use.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by mom2many@May 5 2005, 11:08 PM
We were using Just A WeeBit from solid gold but she started to have a strange smell.  I called the company and said she must be  allergic to the bison. Said to stop using it to look for another food.  But I need one that doesn't contain lamb. At the pet store I was told to stay away from chicken because chicken wasn't good for white breed dogs. has anyone heard of this.  We don't know what to use.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60284
[/QUOTE]
I've never heard that chicken is bad for white dogs. did they say why it was bad?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by mom2many@May 5 2005, 07:08 PM
We were using Just A WeeBit from solid gold but she started to have a strange smell.  I called the company and said she must be  allergic to the bison. Said to stop using it to look for another food.  But I need one that doesn't contain lamb. At the pet store I was told to stay away from chicken because chicken wasn't good for white breed dogs. has anyone heard of this.  We don't know what to use.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60284
[/QUOTE]

<span style="font-family:Times">i have never heard of chicken not being good for white breed dogs. i would ask my vet if that is true. </span>

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went to a specialty pet food store, we definitely know that we can't use lamb. THe breeder was using Iam puppy which has chicken. When I went to the store I was recommended California Natural Lamb. She got really itchy in the face, she would scratch with her paws against furniture. I went back and was recommended Solid Gold WEEBITS, had a horrible smell from her skin. I went back this week to the pet store and she recommended salmon a la veg from Fromm family foods.
He said that I should stay away from chicken not good for white breed dogs. But most of the premium foods and all have chicken. I'm so confused, I don't know where to turn. I think I'll be chaning vets when I ask for his opinion he doesn't seem to perfer quality food says anything would be good.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by mom2many@May 5 2005, 07:38 PM
I went to a specialty pet food store, we definitely know that we can't use lamb. THe breeder was using Iam puppy which has chicken. When I went to the store I was recommended California Natural Lamb.  She got really itchy in the face, she would scratch with her paws against furniture. I went back and was recommended Solid Gold WEEBITS, had a horrible smell from her skin. I went back this week to the pet store and she recommended salmon a la veg from Fromm family foods.
He said that I should stay away from chicken not good for white breed dogs. But most of the premium foods and all have chicken. I'm so confused, I don't know where to turn.  I think I'll be chaning vets when I ask for his opinion he doesn't seem to perfer quality food says anything would be good.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60296
[/QUOTE]

<span style="font-family:Times">oh that sucks....well i really dont think that chicken is bad for white breed dogs...
i never heard of anything like that and plus im sure there are many other breeds with white coats that eat chicken because most dog foods contain chicken. here is a link of dog food brands and a breakdown of the ingredients to look for and to avoid. hope it helps......

http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=intro

after reading this site i decided to take Peaches off Eukanuba..</span>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by g1enda1e+May 6 2005, 12:11 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mom2many
@May 5 2005, 07:38 PM
I went to a specialty pet food store, we definitely know that we can't use lamb. THe breeder was using Iam puppy which has chicken. When I went to the store I was recommended California Natural Lamb.  She got really itchy in the face, she would scratch with her paws against furniture. I went back and was recommended Solid Gold WEEBITS, had a horrible smell from her skin. I went back this week to the pet store and she recommended salmon a la veg from Fromm family foods.
He said that I should stay away from chicken not good for white breed dogs. But most of the premium foods and all have chicken. I'm so confused, I don't know where to turn.  I think I'll be chaning vets when I ask for his opinion he doesn't seem to perfer quality food says anything would be good.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60296

<span style="font-family:Times">oh that sucks....well i really dont think that chicken is bad for white breed dogs...
i never heard of anything like that and plus im sure there are many other breeds with white coats that eat chicken because most dog foods contain chicken. here is a link of dog food brands and a breakdown of the ingredients to look for and to avoid. hope it helps......

http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=intro

after reading this site i decided to take Peaches off Eukanuba..</span>

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60307
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by mom2many@May 5 2005, 08:15 PM
what do you feed peaches now???????????????????
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60309
[/QUOTE]

<span style="font-family:Times">well i went to petcity yesterday and bought a small bag of wellness puppy dry food and a small can of wellness puppy food. after reading about eukanuba puppy food on that site i was disgusted and i needed to buy her new food ASAP. i was also considering innova brand dog food but that would mean i'd have to order it online and that could take several days for delivery. and i couldnt wait......
well heres a list of the ingredients of the wellness puppy dry food

Wellness - Super5Mix Puppy

Ingredients:
Deboned chicken, salmon meal, menhaden fishmeal, oatmeal, barley flour, ground brown rice, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), tomatoes, flax seed, peas, carrots, whole sweet potatoes, bananas, whole apples, whole pears, garlic, beta-carotene, potassium chloride, zinc proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, copper proteinate (a chelated source of copper), copper sulfate, niacin supplement, manganese sulfate, manganese proteinate ( a chelated source of manganese), sodium selenite, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein: 28%
Fat: 17%
Fiber: 5%
Moisture: 11%
[Carbohydrates: 34%]

Calories
411 Kcal/cup

Other Nutrient Guarantees
Calcium: 1.88%
Phosphorus: 1.47%
Ash: 8.5%