Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone feed their malts Wellness? I had Delilah on this, her last bag of food. I think I like it better than the Nutro Ultra, which is what she is on now. I am thinking the NU is making her tear stain reddish color. She didn't seem to have this problem on the Wellness.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Ollie is on Acana Wild Prairie ... not sure I spelled that correctly! He loves it, and since they have three different no grain mixes, I can change him so he doesn't get bored. He doesn't seem to have the staining on this like he did on Canidae.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jake has been on Wellness since we have had him. We are currently mixing the puppy Wellness with the small dog Super Mix. He has done well on the Wellness.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
dolce eats wellness puppy super mix ( the yellow bag ) and he doesnt have staining either.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm omw to Petsmart to get her Wellness! So glad they started carrying it finally! NU uses beet pulp. Though I have heard conflicting stories on the beet pulp. I know she didn't have it on the Wellness. I'm a Nutro rep, go figure! :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nelson has minimal tear staining still. But I mix his foods, he also eats Chicken Soup of the Soul. So I wonder if I should do a test and just do the Wellness for like a week and see if it gets less? Hmmmm

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Delilah may be tearing/staining because her food contains grains. Grains are not a natural source of nutrients for a dog, so try putting her on a food that does not contain any grains.

Wellness does have grain-free food, but most of their foods DO contain grain. I believe their grain-free line is called Wellness Core. But, in my opinion, if you are considering feeding that, you may as well buy Acana or Orijen which is even better.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up getting Wellness Super 5 mix, small breed for Delilah. I read that it has probotics, including stuff similar to what's in yogurt. Hence, maybe the reason for no eye stain.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I ended up getting Wellness Super 5 mix, small breed for Delilah. I read that it has probotics, including stuff similar to what's in yogurt. Hence, maybe the reason for no eye stain.
Yeager is also eating the Wellness Super 5 mix for small breeds, and he doesn't have any staining problems! I think the kibble size is perfect for him.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tinker Bell and Tiger Lily have only ever ate Wellness and we are having zero issues with it. We researched puppy food way before we brought them home and I found a great article by Kristin Cabe that specifies things to avoid in a puppy food. We decided on Wellness for our girls; started on canned when they were little (when they were with their mom, they were on canned food and nursing... we didn't want to give them too many changes at once!) but went to dry food very quickly and easily.

When we went to Pet Supplies Plus to pick up food, there was a Blue Buffalo rep there who was talking up his food, of course, and telling us all this great stuff about their product. He was trying to convince us and then asked what we planned on feeding our pups. When we told him Wellness, he stopped trying to convince us, lol, and was like, oh yeah, that is a good one. ;) Not trying to pick a fight with anyone who loves Blue Buffalo or anything.... lol.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am a NUTRO rep, but LOVE Wellness! I also work with a BB rep. Me and her are good buddies. I do like some of the BB canned products, but IMO some of it is just to high in protein for a Malt.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Edgar and Emmy both had mushy stools on Wellness 5, and boy did the poo stink.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
dolce eats wellness supermix 5 for puppies. i guess now that he is one i have to go to the adult food ..

cathy , i havent had that problem w Dolce , his stools are firm n they dont stink.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Delilahs poops are firm as well and has no smell.

·
Registered
31 Posts
:wub:Nutro Ultra contains beet pulp which causes the tear staining.Duchess was on Wellnes and she had no problem with the tear staining.-wellness for adult small breed.I tried Acana and Orijen too and she did good on those too no tear staining.:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts