Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I've been gone to Louisville, KY with my daughter for a Dental School interview. I've missed a lot on the boards and have some catching up to do.

The interview was good and she'll probably get offered a spot there. BUT, the GREAT news is that the Dean called today from our State Dental school and she's being offered a spot there. We are elated! She doesn't know yet because the Dean of Admissions calls the students to tell them. They'll be calling her tomorrow. Her preference has always been our state school because the total cost is 1/4 of the price at U of L (because of out of state tuition). We hate that we can't tell her, but the main thing is that SHE GOT ACCEPTED. Thanks for letting me brag.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS! And I won't breathe a word......You must be soooo proud of her. And I can't think of a better profession to have in the family. I'm known as the "tooth nazi" in my family because I believe the worst thing you can do is neglect your teeth and become toothless in your old age when it is soooo preventable.

You must be feeling on top of the world!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the secret is out now. The Dean of Admissions called her and now we all know. The reason that we found out before her is that my husband (an oral surgeon) is part time staff at the dental school and the Dean of the School called him as a courtesy.

Pico's Parent, I put my husband through dental school and then residency and so far it hasn't helped me that much. It was pretty good when the girls needed braces and of course our general dentist does everything for free (professional courtesy), but other than that we all have pretty good teeth. LOL. Mostly I'm just glad that in a few year we'll be able to get this daughter off the family payroll. WooHoo!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Congrats!!!!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The most wonderful feeling is when your child is happy beyond words!! You and her dad must be SOOOO proud!
Take a bow, Mom - you deserve it!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!!I can only imagine how happy you are!

·
Registered
478 Posts
CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!
We're sure you are proud of her!

So, where is it you are from? We're in South Central KY

Didn't know if you are Kentuckians like us or not.

Expect that if she goes to school in Louisville that she'll end up talking like us!!!!

We have words that most people don't have in other parts of the country, such as yall, youins, thank yee, hee haw!!!!, and my favorite (actually I hate this word but my wife says it all the time) is WORSH... I gotta worsh the clothes!!!! LOL

Anyways, Congradulations on the success.. I wish you the best.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by scottchelf@Feb 8 2005, 08:31 PM
So, where is it you are from?  We're in South Central KY
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34325
[/QUOTE]

We're from Mississippi. We're pretty used to y'all, but can't say that I'm too familiar with the others. LOL. We liked Louisville when we were there this past weekend. People seemed very nice.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by scottchelf@Feb 8 2005, 09:31 PM
We have words that most people don't have in other parts of the country, such as yall, youins, thank yee, hee haw!!!!, and my favorite (actually I hate this word but my wife says it all the time) is WORSH... I gotta worsh the clothes!!!!  LOL

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34325
[/QUOTE]

I have students that actually argue with me that "worsh" and "ain't"...hmmm...I am sure there are others...are actual words! Well, "ain't" IS in the dictionary now...so that doesn't help my cause much! I tell them they can keep their southern accent if they will just TRY to talk proper english.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
how exciting! I know, b/c I've kinda been there heheh. congrats to u and ur daughter!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Olga! You made it over here.....

My daughter had a fantastic interview in Louisville. I feel like she'll be offered a spot there, but the acceptance came for our state school and the cost is 1/4 what the U of L is, so she's going to Mississippi. We paid for Vandy (you KNOW what that means!!) but her trust is going to kick in for dental school, though we'll buy a house and help with living expenses. Dental schools aren't ranked in the same way that med schools are and most dental school grads don't go for residencies, so going to a certain dental school isn't nearly as important as going to the "right" med school. She still has one more interview to go, but we're pretty sure she'll stay in state.

I'm so glad to see you here. Stick around and talk to us. We've had a really active discussion about that Juicy bag that you and I both have.

Susan

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Susan,

This forum is great! I love the open discussion with brand names. Its really quite helpful!! Especially food, shampoos and etc.

Vandy is certainly expensive. I have tons of loans since my parents are poor. I debated our state school (university of florida vs vandy or emory) and the only reason I went with Vandy is because they offered me a need-based scholarship which made cost be equivalent to state school. I don't think I will end up doing a competitve residency (I will most like do pathology), so name of the school really doesn't make that much of a difference.

Is your daughter celebrating? Its so exciting!

I read the entire juicy thread thread. My bag looks just like your beige one!! Miko just loves it (as do I). I way overpaid for it since I bought it at Satina's closet for $375. As far as I can tell, its genuine. Just like you, I first ordered the supposedly larger one at Neiman Marcus that I had to return. You are probably wondering how we can afford this with all my loans? Well, we can't but since we already owe so much (and my husband is wonderful). Oh, and I love the black one. I would have definitely chosen black but she didn't have it in that color.

Your puppies are adorable. When will Sadie start living with your daughter?

I am really trying to cut down on the time I spend on this or MO forum. I have 2 papers I am writing...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts