Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lordy...every once in a while I get in this mood. I feel like I fix the SAME thing all of the time (could be b/c of my 4 kids
)....so I am asking you...what is something that you like to eat that other families might enjoy? I am desperate. Keep in mind that I have to feed 6 people so anything that includes ribeye steak or porterhouse is probably too much for us! I especially like ethnic food...but as long as it's simple to make...I'll try most anything.
And yes, I've tried looking on the net, but I'd like some tried and true recipes.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Here's an inexpensive but delicious meal that can be made ahead of time, freezes well, goes far, and has everyone asking for the recipe (it's a great potluck, too). This feeds 4 to 6, depending on appetites:

1. Boil a pound of fusilli (spiral macaroni) until al dente (tender but not mushy). Drain and set aside in a very large mixing bowl.

2. Fry a pound of bacon until done. Crumble the bacon into bite size or smaller pieces and add to the fusilli in the bowl. Don't throw away the bacon grease - pour most of it into a container and keep it close by (as long as I don't eat this dish daily, the cholesterol doesn't freak me out).

3. Add some of the bacon fat to the pan and saute 3 or 4 large chopped yellow onions. When they are transparent and heading towards golden, remove from pan and add them to the fusilli and bacon in the bowl.

4. Add some more fat and saute sliced fresh mushrooms until golden (a large container, 12 oz, I think). When done, add to rest of stuff in bowl.

5. Pour rest of bacon fat (you may at this point need to add olive oil if not enough fat left) into the pan, and add a large can or glass jar of sauerkraut which has been squeezed dry of liquid (use your hands for this). Saute this until golden (here's where you may need that olive oil. It should be golden, but not greasy). When that is golden, add it to the bowl of everything else, mix well.

6. You can serve now, or place in a baking dish in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes to heat through. It's even better the next day, when the contents have had time to "meld".

Note: For those people that really have a problem using bacon fat, olive oil makes an excellent substitute.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Triste, I posted this on the other thread but I just wanted to make sure that you see this. I hope you are not offended.

QUOTE(Triste @ Apr 10 2005, 02:34 PM)
I am going to back out of this discussion now as I have strong feelings about this. Take care ya'll!

Triste,

I hope you are not offended. I feel upset by all we have to deal with our dog and I blame his breeder for it. I never meant it as a personal attack. I just hate putting my baby though surgery for a genetic cause that could have been prevented if only the breeder was more responsible.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Chicken Picotta:

1. Take thinly sliced chicken breasts, sprinkle with salt & pepper, then dredge them in flour.

2. Add some olive oil to a pan, heat it and brown the breasts. Remove them and set them aside. Pour out most, but not all, of the olive oil.

3. Return the breasts to the pan, add about 1/4 cup of capers with the juice. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice in the pan.

4. Cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Turn once during cooking and replace lid. When almost done, remove lid to allow the breasts to get golden again, and squirt a bit more lemon juice. Remove to a serving dish, with the capers over them. If you have enough olive oil in the pan, use it (may need to add more) to coat angel hair spaghetti as a side dish.

Note: You can use this with veal or pork chops; I often use pork chops, but never veal.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
This is very very easy and good. It is called Italian Chicken and Potatos:

Put bonelss chicken breast and chopped up potatos in a greased 9x13 dish. Then pour Zesty Italian salad dressing over the chicken and potatos. Then put Italian seasoning and then Parmasian Cheese and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes ( I think on 375...whatever the bag of chicken says).

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Here is a simple recipe for chicken :

Put butter in a pot, add chicken tenderloins, brown them, add chopped onions, garlic and parsley, swet them, add paprika powder (or curry powder), add water to cover (half water, half white wine), add 1 Knorr chicken bouillon, fresh or canned mushrooms and let cook until chicken is tender. Then add some whipping cream and make the sauce tick with Maizena corn starch (or Argo ? potato starch). Salt and pepper to taste. If you like hot, use Cayenne pepper. Serve with pasta or rice. Careful with the starch or the sauce will get to tick, add slowly (1 teaspoon starch diluted with a little bit of water).

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I made this up myself. My husband loves it...although it is not a fav of the kids. I am with ya with making the same thing all the time. There are only about 2-3 dishes that I can make and please EVERYONE at the same time.
Anyway, this is easy...

10-15 small red potatoes cut into 1/2-1/4 (not the baby kind)
1 package beef kaboski (sp?) sausage
one onion cut up
parsley/garlic powder/salt pepper/other seasonings to taste
bay leaf

Layer the potatoes, onion, then sausage in 9/13 pan. Season as desired. Cover with foil and bake at 400 until potatoes are done. I have also made this quicker on the stove in a skillet. Nothing fancy, but quick, cheap and easy. I will try to think of more.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am the crock pot queen.... I work full time and by the time I get home I want simple meals...

Let me know if you want the actual recipes

Bourban Chicken
Chicken Enchilladas
Sticky Chicken

This one isn't in the crock pot but its good

Company Chicken- swiss cheese over chicken breast with stuffing and mushroom sauce

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I also make lazy man's quesadillas...they are a whole family hit.

Tortillas
taco seasoning
refried beans
shredded cheese
white meat canned chicken (Drained)

heat chicken with taco seasoning
mix refried beans in
Layer this mixture and shredded cheese on a tortilla and heat in a skillet

QUICK

Quick/easy Rotel Chicken

Spaghetti Noodles
Velveeta cheese
rotel tomotoes
Canned white meat chicken
mild

Cook spaghetti noodles
melt velveeta, milk and rotel
mix in chicken
Add to drained spaghetti noodles
(you can also add peas, mushrooms to this, but we don't like it that way)
Some also add a can of cream/chicken soup...but I don't think it needs it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I found that the recipes on Campbell's Soup's website is EASY, quick, and tastes REALLy good. They are especially popular with kids.

There are many recipes on their site, try it out =)

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I just bought Rachel Ray's new cookbook for 30 minute meals - "30 minute Get Real Meals" I found it at Sams for $11.99. I'll let you know how I like it. I cook about once every 2 weeks. But then we are empty nesters. Yay.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
This is one of my favorite recipes:

Chicken Pepper Pasta:

Disclaimer: I'm Italian, and my family doesn't use recipes... we use the "what ever you think will get eaten rule"

What you need:
Chicken
Red/Orange/Yellow/Green bell pepper (at least two different colors)
Red onion
Bowtie pasta
1 can of chicken broth

Dice chicken, and cut peppers into strips. In two separate pans saute chicken and peppers in onions and oil (use chicken broth when/if oil is evaporated).

When chicken is done add peppers so they all cook in the same pan for a few minutes.

When noodles are done (I don't like them mushy) mix everything in a large bowl. Add a little salt and pepper to taste. At this time you may want to add a little chicken broth to create a little sauce.

Add romano cheese and enjoy! It's delicious!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I know exactly what you mean about getting into a pattern with dinner. We have three kids who could live off of Kraft Mac-n-Cheese!

My suggestion: Roasted Chicken w/dried fruits.

One whole fryer chicken cut up
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup apricots
1/2 cup prunes
1/2 cup dried cranberries (not flavored)
1 jar green olives (drained)
1 can large black olives (drained)
1/2 jar kalamata olives (drained)
1 small jar capers (drained)
1/3 cup Olive Oil
1/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar
White Wine vinegar to taste
Lemon wedges (reserve for garnish)
Italian parsley (reserve for garnish)

Rinse and dry chicken parts. Place in large plastic container with lid. Add all ingredients. Place lid on container and give a good shake to coat chicken with marinade, fruit, and olives. Let sit in refridgerator at least over night and up to three days. Pre heat oven to 300. Place contents of container into a roasting pan. Roast in a slow oven for approximately 1.5 hours. You can roast it in a higher oven for shorter time, however, the chicken won't brown as nicely. Serve on top of cous-cous or rice. Serve with lemon wedges and Italian parsley as garnish. Also, serve with warm pita bread triangles.

The kids love to help make this dish because they can empty and drain the olives and measure out the fruit. It looks very impressive when served too! And it tastes great. If you make this using 2 chickens, or what would add up to two chickens, just double the amount of other ingredients. I've made this for large family gatherings and everyone loves it.

Another suggestion, sausage and peppers with onions and Italian bread. Bake sausage in 375 oven for 40 minutes. (I prefer to bake sausage as most of the fat drains when baked). Stir fry long green peppers (Italian frying peppers, sometimes called banana peppers) and sweet Vildalia onions. Use one onion per four peppers. The peppers and onions should be soft, not crunchy. Slice Italian long rolls and stuff with sausage and peppers and onion mixture. If you like, add a couple of slices of provolone cheese and broil until cheese is brown and bubbly.

I am also a big fan of the crock pot. Let me know if you need any recipies for that.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Apr 11 2005, 08:08 AM
This is one of my favorite recipes:

Chicken Pepper Pasta:

Disclaimer: I'm Italian, and my family doesn't use recipes... we use the "what ever you think will get eaten rule"

What you need:
Chicken
Red/Orange/Yellow/Green bell pepper (at least two different colors)
Red onion
Bowtie pasta
1 can of chicken broth

Dice chicken, and cut peppers into strips. In two separate pans saute chicken and peppers in onions and oil (use chicken broth when/if oil is evaporated).
When chicken is done add peppers so they all cook in the same pan for a few minutes.

When noodles are done (I don't like them mushy) mix everything in a large bowl. Add a little salt and pepper to taste. At this time you may want to add a little chicken broth to create a little sauce.

Add romano cheese and enjoy! It's delicious!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51289
[/QUOTE]

This sounds REALLY good!

·
Registered
894 Posts
QUICK AND EASY DINNER

Ingredients:

1-Large Phone Book (prefer the yellow pages)
1-Car (anything reliable will do)
1-Credit Card (any company will do here too)

Look through the phone book, find a great restaurant, make sure your credit card is not "full" and place it in your wallet, hop in the car (pile anyone else in the family that you think might like this recipe) drive to the location of ingredient #1 and everyone can have what they want. Eat until full......works everytime!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Apr 11 2005, 02:34 PM
QUICK AND EASY DINNER

Ingredients:

Look through the phone book, find a great restaurant, make sure your credit card is not "full" and place it in your wallet, hop in the car (pile anyone else in the family that you think might like this recipe) drive to the location of ingredient #1 and everyone can have what they want.  Eat until full......works everytime!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51446
[/QUOTE]

Oh, that sounds good!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Apr 11 2005, 03:42 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Sisses Momma
@Apr 11 2005, 02:34 PM
QUICK AND EASY DINNER

Ingredients:

Look through the phone book, find a great restaurant, make sure your credit card is not "full" and place it in your wallet, hop in the car (pile anyone else in the family that you think might like this recipe) drive to the location of ingredient #1 and everyone can have what they want.  Eat until full......works everytime!!

Oh, that sounds good!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51453
[/B][/QUOTE]

I have a different variation of this one...
1-Large Phone Book
1-Credit card/cash

pick a restaurant that delivers!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu+Apr 11 2005, 12:50 PM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 11 2005, 03:42 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Sisses Momma
@Apr 11 2005, 02:34 PM
QUICK AND EASY DINNER

Ingredients:

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51453

[/QUOTE]

I have a different variation of this one...
1-Large Phone Book
1-Credit card/cash

pick a restaurant that delivers!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51459
[/B][/QUOTE]

OOOHHH that one REALLY sounds good!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Here are some Non-South Beach Diet recipes that I have. They aren't really everyday dinner recipes but they are all really, really good. Oh, one is a dessert but I guess you can make it dinner. It is my favorite dessert.

Mashed Potatoe Casserole

• 5 lb. potatoes (cook)
• 1 cup Half and Half
• 1 stick butter
• 1 - 8oz pkg Cream Cheese
• 1 tsp Seasoning Salt (I usually add a little more)
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp pepper

Cook potatoes until soft (like your making mashed potatoes).

Drain hot potatoes and immediately add ingredients and mix with mixer.  Do not let potatoes cool before mixing, or they will be lumpy!

Put a couple slices of butter and sprinkle paprika on top. 

Bake at 350° oven for 30 minutes to 1 hour.  The time depends on if they are frozen, refrigerated or just cooked.  If frozen, thaw in microwave, and bake 1 hour or so.  If refrigerated, bake 45-60 minutes.  If still hot from cooking only 30 minutes.  Stick a spoon in the center and check to see if hot.

COMMENTS:  You can divide the batch into smaller casseroles and freeze them.  They can last several months.  This also works well when you are having people over.  You can make the casseroles a head of time and just have to reheat them the day of the dinner.[/B]
Hot Antipasto Squares

• 2 packages (8 rolls each) Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
• ¼ lb. Baked Ham (thinly sliced)
• ¼ lb. Imported Swiss Cheese (thinly sliced)
• ¼ lb. Genoa Salami (thinly sliced)
• ¼ lb. Provolone Cheese (thinly sliced)
• ¼ lb. Pepperoni (thinly sliced)
• 1 12 oz. jar of Sweet Roasted Peppers (strained)
• 8 oz. shredded Mozzarella Cheese
• 3 eggs
• Grated Parmesan Cheese (Less than ¼ cup)

Lightly grease a 9X13 pan.  Place peppers in colander to drain. Unfold 1 package of rolls and place them in the bottom of the pan.  Pinch holes together so that the dough looks (more or less) like one solid piece.

Top with one layer of (in the following order):
• Ham
• Swiss cheese
• Salami
• Provolone
• Pepperoni
• Sweet Roasted Peppers
• Shredded Mozzarella

Set aside. 

In a small bowl slightly beat the 3 eggs, add the parmesan cheese.  Spoon 2/3 of egg mixture over mozzarella.

Open second package of rolls and place on top.  Pinch all the perforations together to eliminate holes.  Brush with remaining egg mixture.  Completely cover the top of the pan with foil.

Bake at 350° for 40 minutes.

Check to make sure the edges do not brown too much.  If they are browning too much, make a “collar” of foil and put around the edge of the pan about 1-2 inches, leaving the middle exposed to the heat.  Return to over another 20 minutes. 

Remove from the oven.  Cool awhile before cutting.  Serve warm, cold, or reheated.

They freeze beautifully and keep well, but make sure you cut them before freezing.  I (whoever wrote this recipe) freeze packages of 8 and just pop as many as I need on a cookie sheet in the over to warm them.  Warm at 300° - you won’t be able to separate them until the oven has partially defrosted them.

You should get about 48 squares.[/B]
OREO COOKIE DESSERT

• 1 regular pkg. Oreo cookies
• 1/2 stick butter
• ½ gallon of ice cream, slightly softened (I use vanilla)
• 1 (16 oz.) can or jar fudge ice cream topping
• Cool Whip

Grind 1 regular package of Oreo cookies in blender. Mix ½ stick of butter and cookies to make crust. Pat into 9x11 inch pan. Reserve some crumbs for top.  Freeze for 15-20 minutes to harder the crust.  This will make it easier to spread the ice cream.

Then put a layer of ice cream. It helps if the ice cream is softened.  It is easier to spread.  Freeze for 30 minutes to refreeze the ice cream.  This will make it easier to spread the fudge topping.

Next spread the fudge topping on top of the ice cream.  Freeze for another 15 minutes. Then spread a layer of Cool Whip and sprinkle the remaining cookie crumbs on top. Cover and place in the freezer until firm (about 2 hours).  If possible make the night before.  Keep frozen.[/B]

1 - 20 of 46 Posts